Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 20th April 2007, 06:05 PM
mhembree Offline

Microsoft Natural Ergo Keyboard 4000: caps lock light?

I just decided to give my wrists a break and got a MS Natural Ergo Keyboard 4000 (this guy: http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/mo...s.aspx?pid=043 ). 99% of the keys work, but I'm missing the CapsLock, NumLock, and ScrlLock lights. FLock works like a champ, for some reason. I've played around with the various keyboard types in System->Preferences->Keyboard->Layouts, but can't find a setting that causes the CapsLock light to come on when it is engaged, etc. The functionality is working, but the visual indication isn't.

The keyboard also got a few "programmable hot keys" that would be cool to program to compile, link, run, debug, etc .. any thoughts on how to get those puppies mapped?
Old 28th April 2007, 07:24 AM
grassmonk Offline

I believe this is a kernel issue, though I could be wrong. I have this same keyboard on all three of my boxes and had the same problem with the keyboard lights in Ubuntu for a while. I believe it was fixed somewhere along the line in the 2.6.20 kernel and all the lights currently work fine for me. Maybe Fedora's 2.6.20 kernel does not have the same patches? I am planning on installing F7 Test 4 on one of my boxes so I will post back if the keyboard lights work on it.

As for the special keys, a lot of them work out of the box for me (again, this is in Ubuntu). This thread on the Ubuntu forums talks about patching the kernel to enable all of the special keys, and may help point in the right direction for Fedora.
Old 24th May 2007, 05:52 AM
grassmonk Offline

I finally got around to installing Fedora 7 on my laptop and can confirm that the keyboard lights work.
Old 21st June 2007, 11:24 PM
spfdz Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassmonk
I finally got around to installing Fedora 7 on my laptop and can confirm that the keyboard lights work.
did you get any of the hot keys working? ie: play/forward/backward/internet button etc..
Old 26th June 2007, 02:47 PM
chmac Offline

I'm using a similar Microsoft keyboard, so I'd be interested to know if anyone can get the extra buttons working.
Old 26th June 2007, 02:54 PM
chmac Offline

DOH, I replied too soon, then I saw this thread:
http://forum.fedoraforum.org/forum/s...d.php?t=157631

Which in turn links to this howto:
http://folk.ntnu.no/sindrb/gnome_keyboard_shortcuts/

I think that explains how to map custom keys to keyboard shortcuts. I'm testing it myself now.

Tags
4000, caps, ergo, keyboard, light, lock, microsoft, natural