Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 18th April 2007, 06:43 PM
drama Offline

Question newbie would like some first time install tips.

hi guys & gals. im brand new to fedora as well as linux in general. never used linux a day in my live so im hoping for some tips that would make for a smooth and trouble free install. first i should point out i would like to do a fedora/xp dual boot(i know im still gonna need xp for some things). i would like a few tips on that aspect. i already downloaded the fc6 i386 dvd image( got this one because i have 2 pcs one 32bit and one 64 bit). i have 2 pcs that this will be installed on the specs are as follows

pc #1

mobo: asus a8ae socket 939(its manufactured strictly for hp)
ram: 1gb pc3200 ddr
integrated graphics: ati radeon xpress 200
mobo chipset: ati rs480 (xpress 200)
integrated audio: realtek ac97 audio
integrated nic: realtek family rtl8139
hdd: samsung 160gb (pata)
cpu: amd sempron 3500+ 2.0 ghz
dvd writer: hp/lighton lightscribe dual layer dvd -/+ rw (shw-160h6s)
ati ide controller (on mobo)

pc#2

intel mobo (pc is down so im not sure of the model)
512 mb sdram
intel pro 100 nic
intel integrated graphics
intel 812 chipset
seagate 120 gb hdd (pata) maxtor 40 gb hdd (pata)
soundmax integrated audio
intel 812 ide controller (on mobo)
intel celeron 1.0ghz cpu
liteon dvd rom
liteone cdrw

both will be connected to hp deskjet f335 all in one printer.

i stated the specs for both pcs because if anybody know of any of this hardware specifically not working it would be good to know before i dive in.

basically like i said im just looking for tips/tricks (things i should do or things i should be careful not to do ect) to make the install go smoothly as this is my first linux os. any help would be greatly appreciated. thankx in advance. cheers
Old 18th April 2007, 06:54 PM
bob Online
Administrator (yeah, back again)

Location: Colton, NY; Junction of Heaven & Earth (also Routes 56 & 68).
Here's a good starting point: http://forums.fedoraforum.org/forum/...ad.php?t=92701 and Welcome to the Forum! I'll let others give you some specifics, but be sure to check out this thread too: http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=119761
Registered Linux User #362651

Don't use any of my solutions on working computers or near small children.
Old 18th April 2007, 06:58 PM
brunson Offline

Install XP first, Fedora will install alongside it and set up the dual boot for you.

With you being new to Linux, I'd recommend against installing the 64 bit version of the OS, it is less well tested, some 32bit binary only things don't work (like flash) and I've seen a lot of problem reports with it.

I don't see anything in your hardware list that raises flags, so give it a shot and have fun. Post back if you have any problems. Did you download the respin? It would save you some updates, but if not, don't worry about it, yum will handle it fine.
Registered Linux User #4837
411th in line to get sued by Micro$oft
Quote:
Basically, to learn Unix you learn to understand and apply a small set of key ideas and achieve expertise by expanding both the set of ideas and your ability to apply them - Paul Murphy
Old 18th April 2007, 07:09 PM
theforest Offline

I usually install as little as possible on the initial install (enough to get the gnome gui system installed). Then after the first reboot, immediately let the updates run via update software. Reboot again and then install all the extra software you want, using the add/remove software. FC6 erroneously installs a i585 kernel off the cd, this will get fixed by the update. Do any hardware specific changes last. One step at a time.
Old 19th April 2007, 07:10 AM
drama Offline

bob: thankx for them links ill def check them out (and the warm welcome as well).

brunson: i had heard about the problems with the x64 version. thats one of the reasons why i went for the x86. aside from the fact that i didnt see much since in d/l 2 different versions (saves my bandwidth and everyone elses). also im sorry but im not sure i kno wwhat the respin is. i have the live cd(got that first to see if was even gonna like fc6). and i also got the i386 dvd image (both from the fedora wiki page).

theforest: thankx for them tips/steps ill besure to try it that way. (i heard about the kernel issue too).

thankx to all of you for the quick replies. its much appreciated. i shall try my install this evening and will check back with the results. cheers
Old 19th April 2007, 12:13 PM
bob Online

Drama, good luck on the install. It probably is a bit late, but the respins are here: http://torrent.fedoraunity.org/ Since Fedora6 was released about 6 months ago, most of the packages in the Official release have been updated and the Fedora Unity project tries to make ISO's that include those updates. You'd need bittorrent to download them. So, if you haven't already done the install and choose to use the Official ISO's, then just do a minimal install - don't add a bunch of extras - so that when you do your updates, they will be far fewer and any packages you add afterwards will be up-to-date versions directly from the repositories.

Old 20th April 2007, 11:48 AM
drama Offline

well guys just thought id check in and let ya know how things went. the install was successful on my intel based pc. first install ended up stalling about halfway through for some reason (second try was much better). i was actually impressed by how easy it was to install. a few questions though.

is it possible to see my windows (ntfs) partions in fc6? ultimately would love to be able to read/write to them partions (if this is even possible) its in the device/hardware manager but i cant access the partion.

is fc6 known for being slower that windows? i know its a way differnt os but it seems slightly slugish. could this be due to the fact that windows fc6 and the swap partion are all on the same hdd (maxtor 40gb 5400 rpm)? or even the fact that the ram speed is 133mhz (sdram)?

i shall try the install on my amd based pc this afternoon but i have a bad feeling about that one as it has the ati rs480 chipset (seems to be a very buggy chipset). not to mention the fact that i couldnt get the live cd to work in this pc. always froze after trying to get cpu apci or something similar to that. well hopefully the install dvd will act differently. thanks for all the previous tips you guys have given me its very appreciated. and ill check back withthe results from the second install a little later. cheers

Last edited by drama; 20th April 2007 at 12:13 PM.
Old 20th April 2007, 12:15 PM
bob Online

This may be helpful on the NTFS sharing issue: http://fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?t=144524 Or, you can use that Search window and some of the Advanced features to find "ntfs", perhaps in the "how-to" Forum.

As to why things are a bit slow... you've got a slow hard drive and slow ram, which are certainly factors. Got to remember that Windows XP was set up 6 years ago with that kind of machine in mind. Even though it's wildly popular, it's not exactly 'cutting-edge' in any respect and system requirements are much lower than with Fedora. If you're not happy with the speed, etc., you might want to try a lighter-weight distro (debian, slax, puppy, DSL, SAM linux - many more) or use a lighter-weight window manager with Fedora - I like xfce4 myself.

Good luck on that second install - hopefully it will be fine and you'll see Fedora at full speed soon!

Old 20th April 2007, 05:18 PM
drama Offline

thanks for that link bob. and i figured the ram/hdd was the reason for the sluggishness. as far as the second install goes its a no go. not sure if its because im trying to put x86 on 64 bit processor. wont even boot the install dvd fully.
Old 20th April 2007, 05:29 PM
JN4OldSchool Offline
"Sean The Terrible" -- The forum(er) Vista® rep

32 bit goes on 64 bit just fine. Is this the ATI computer? You might want to try typing "linux vesa" at the boot prompt.
Old 20th April 2007, 06:04 PM
drama Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by JN4OldSchool
32 bit goes on 64 bit just fine. Is this the ATI computer? You might want to try typing "linux vesa" at the boot prompt.
yes it is. ill give that a try once though. it starts to boot but when it starts detecting hardware it detects the usb port then i get a blue screen with a bunch of random numbers and letters (doesnt even ask me if i wanna check the dvd).

edit: thankx for the idea but that didnt seem to work either. still does the exact same thing.

Last edited by drama; 20th April 2007 at 06:21 PM.
Old 20th April 2007, 11:03 PM
drama Offline

well i finally got it to work. i had to use "linex vesa ide=nodma apm=off acpi=off vga=normal nosmp noapic maxcpus=0" at boot just to get it to work. although i did get it it up and running its a terrible experience (not due to the os itself though). im sure alot of it has to do with "ide=nodma" which again is due to the damn hardware. (ati chipset im guessing). its actually way slower than my intel powered box that has slower/less ram (512mb 133 mhz) slower hdd (5400 rpm) and slower cpu (1.0 ghz). its almost at a snails pace. takes around 10 mins to boot fully and almost 5 mins to open anything.so i think ill have to break down an get a new mobo (unfortunatly also means ill have to shell out money for a vid card too as im sure there arent any out there anymore that have integrated graphics) either way it mos def wont be ati powered i can tell you that much (had way too much trouble with this one). can anybody recommend a decent mobo that is known to work well with fc6? preferably socket 939 so i can use same cpu. well anyways i just thought id give an update (if anybody has any ideas that would save me from getting a new mobo please do tell). thankx again guys. cheers

p.s. sorry about the slight ranting
Old 20th April 2007, 11:58 PM
Dies Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by drama
p.s. sorry about the slight ranting
That's not ranting, for someone who says they're a newbie you don't sound like it, I think you'll be just fine.

As for the box that works, make sure you turn off everything and anything you don't need. I also recommend getting rid of Beagle but if you like having desktop search then keep it, but it does affect performance on some machines. See this thread for how to shutdown unneeded services and a pretty good listing of what they all are:

http://www.fedoraforum.org/forum/sho...peed+boot+time

Just go to Administration>Services then skip down to the list in that thread and start shutting things you don't need down, remember to hit Edit>All Runlevels and save before exiting.

But I think the consensus is that FC is a little slower than some others.

As for the box that doesn't want to play ball, I would suggest trying out other distros on it just because FC doesn't like it doesn't mean that another distro won't love it. I would at least try that before buying new hardware, unless you really want new hardware and it's just a good excuse.
Old 21st April 2007, 12:21 AM
drama Offline

thankx for the tips dies. i may d/l some live cds so i can try a few different distros (thats actually a very good idea). as far as the noob thing goes i am a total noob to linux (the other day is the first time ive ever used it) all of my experience is with windows (i have high technical knowhow just not much experience with linux). thankx again to jn4oldschool for that "vesa" command as i didnt know about that it was the last thing that was needed. as far as the rest of the command i got it from another thread here in the forum (just cant remember where exactly). would it work do you think to force dma mode in fc6 after boot? i am almost positive thats the problem as ram and cpu useage is fine. if anybody thinks this may work while still allowing my pc to boot properly and knows how to do it i would very much appreciate that. i know it cant be done from the grug config though (i tried that already but pc wouldnt boot). even if its alot of work to do it im still open to suggestions. thankx again guys. cheers
Old 21st April 2007, 11:17 PM
drama Offline

well i figured out that the slow downs are due to dma beings disabled. i used hdparm to reinable it and speeds are back were they should be. i have only one problem i can seem to get the settings to stick. after a reboot i have to go back and use hdparm again to turn dma mode back one. does anyone know how to get the settings to stick? im not sure but the reason for them not sticking may be due to ide=nodma in the grub boot line (there is no way around this though as my pc wont boot with out that line). any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. thankx in advance. cheers

Tags
install, newbie, time, tips