Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 5th February 2007, 08:44 PM
s_esquibel Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Malmostoso
That said, the kernel argument that does the trick is "acpi=force". You have to edit /boot/grub/menu.lst so that your "kernel" lines read something like this:

Code:
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.XX-XXXX acpi=force ro root=LABEL=/ rhgb quiet
I had the same problem. When I used the Shutdown from the menu, I got to a System Halted message. Put in acpi=off in the kernal argument line, and now it works like a champ. Thanks Jack!
Old 17th February 2007, 09:17 PM
whitecloud1 Offline

Many thanks to AnnieDog for pointing me to this thread. I had the same non-shutdown problem.

I removed "acpi=ht" from Grub's boot command line and replaced it with "apci=force".

This did the trick and the PC shutdown very quickly

I had been using a Mandrake 10 (also installed) version of Grub (because GRUB in earlier versions of Fedora did not see my SATA drive containing Windows). Mandrake's Grub had contained the following: "acpi-ht" I never gave any thought to what this means.

I discovered that this command was disabling acpi and so I simply removed any reference to acpi from the Grub boot command line. This solved the shutdown problem also and seems to result in faster booting and better performance also. (Perhaps I am immagining this).

Thanks to all who posted to this thread.
JB.

Last edited by whitecloud1; 19th February 2007 at 07:37 PM.

Tags
fc4, fc6, shutdown, upgraded