Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 6th February 2007, 09:56 PM
RJP Offline

Tungsten E2 Palm Pilot, and FC 4

Greetings.

I have a Tungsten E2 Palm Pilot and I want to set things up for HotSynching in Linux. The most recent version of the Palm Desktop supports a variety of features for the handheld, and I don't want to loose them. (Multimedia file support, for example.) Those of you that have a recent Palm should know what I'm talking about. However, the Desktop is designed for use in Windows only. I would rather use my Linux install, Fedora Core 4. Understandable, right?

Is there a Linux native Palm client that supports the same features? I used to have a Palm III, and with it I used j-pilot. But, the Tungsten is a very different beast from it's predecessor, and the current version of j-pilot doesn't appear to offer the same support. Or does it? Are their plug-ins or additional applications that can work with j-pilot? Is there a completely different program out there to do the work?

In a more general sense, are there libraries I will need to install or update? If so, which ones?

If there isn't a Linux native Palm client, can the Windows version be run in Wine without losing any functionality? I have no problem running Wine, so I have no qualms about using the commercial client. But I'm concerned about the USB connection needed for HotSync. I don't know if Wine gets along well with USB.

If anyone in here has a Tungsten E2 and is using Linux with it, please post your experience. Or, if someone knows of an FAQ or HowTo that talks about this, please point me to it.

Thanks in advance,

RJP

Tags
palm, pilot, tungsten