Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 15th January 2007, 08:51 PM
alpha645 Offline

XFCE hijack ?

As a total Linux newbie, I'm quite used to the changes that sometimes appear in Linux. But one odd thing happened when I lately turn on my computer an logon using XFCE. I get XFCE all correctly loaded, no errors at all. But's just, latelay, it seems that nautilus 'kicked' thunar . Can anyone help me restore this?

I tried running 'Configuration for the Desktop' in XFCE. And clicked 'Allow XFCE to manage the desktop'. Logging off and saving the session doesn't help. Seems like a total invasion of nautilus if you ask me .

help....
Old 15th January 2007, 09:05 PM
JN4OldSchool Offline
"Sean The Terrible" -- The forum(er) Vista® rep

I am looking into this but I'm stumped too. I had this happen in FC6 once but I started that user account under gnome then converted it to XFCE. I had the same thing happen, thunar reverted to nautilus. I just recreated the account just using xfce but that does you no good. Might I suggest deleting the .gnome file in /home for JUST THAT USER? Or, maybe just renaming it ".orggnome" so you wont lose it. I will keep looking too, but I dont know if there is a solution. XFCE is using this stuff as a test bed for their 4.4 release which will be huge. So naturally there are a few bugs now. Thunar rocks though, I am pleased as punch with XFCE these days.

EDIT: That might be bad advice, dont do that. I just noticed that in my non-gnome account I still have a .gnome2 file and also a .nautilus file. You dont want to mess with these. See if anyone has some better advice and until then I will work on this.

Last edited by JN4OldSchool; 15th January 2007 at 09:13 PM.
Old 16th January 2007, 06:02 AM
alpha645 Offline

So, is this a bug which I should report to XFCE?
Old 16th January 2007, 01:07 PM
JN4OldSchool Offline

It wouldnt hurt. What I have been doing is I created a new user account in FC6 and set up a gnome theme. I then set it to XFCE (like I did when I encountered my problem) to try to replicate the problem. I cant. It stays on Thunar no matter what I try. I even have gnome and kde stuff in the menus and I have both services launch on startup. Everything works fine. So...Maybe try going into services/sessions and startup and selecting the advance tab and making sure gnome is unchecked? Other than that you might want to try different themes in settings/user interface. Sometimes this can cause a problem. Other than that I am at a loss. Sorry.
Old 16th January 2007, 01:14 PM
alpha645 Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by JN4OldSchool
It wouldnt hurt. What I have been doing is I created a new user account in FC6 and set up a gnome theme. I then set it to XFCE (like I did when I encountered my problem) to try to replicate the problem. I cant. It stays on Thunar no matter what I try. I even have gnome and kde stuff in the menus and I have both services launch on startup. Everything works fine. So...Maybe try going into services/sessions and startup and selecting the advance tab and making sure gnome is unchecked? Other than that you might want to try different themes in settings/user interface. Sometimes this can cause a problem. Other than that I am at a loss. Sorry.
The only thing I did was this:

In XFCE, you have this applet that shows free disk space. You need to define a file manager. I inserted nautilus just to try. I opened it, by clicking the disk-icon. This could have kicked thunar.

Opening sessions? How? (I use XFCE)
Old 16th January 2007, 01:26 PM
JN4OldSchool Offline

just open the xfce menu (right click on desktop) and select the services entry. Then you should see "sessions and startup" open that and select the "advanced" tab. Did you try launching the disk space applet again and selecting thunar?
Old 16th January 2007, 01:37 PM
alpha645 Offline

Hmm, thanks for the try. Remember I can't click anymore on the desktop to open the menu (nautilus). I found session control, but nautilus is not listed in there. I'll report it in the XFCE forum under the same name as fedoraforum (alpha) (so you can follow). Thanks for helping so far

Last edited by alpha645; 16th January 2007 at 01:40 PM.
Old 16th January 2007, 01:55 PM
JN4OldSchool Offline

Why cant you click on the desktop to open the xfce menu? What exactly has changed? Are you in gnome? Nautalis is just the file manager, everything else should still be XFCE?

Anyway, to change the file manager in XFCE go to /home/whatever/.config/xfce4/desktop/menu.xml Now this is a hidden file so make sure you can view hidden files (select in view tab in the browser). You will find an entry app name=file manager. You should be able to change nautalis back to thunar here.

edit: Do me a favor. Reboot your computer. Then on the login screen you should see a tab on the bottom labled "sessions" Open that and make sure you select XFCE. For some reason I have a sneaking suspicion you are in Gnome.
Old 16th January 2007, 03:09 PM
alpha645 Offline

This is the content of my menu.xml:
Quote:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<xfdesktop-menu>
<app name="Terminal" cmd="xfterm4" icon="gnome-terminal"/>
<app name="Web Browser" cmd="xfbrowser4" icon="gnome-globe"/>
<menu name="Instellingen" icon="gnome-settings">
<app name="Configuratiemanager" cmd="xfce-setting-show" icon="gnome-settings" snotify="true"/>
</menu>
<include type="system" style="simple" unique="true" legacy="true"/>
<app name="Help" cmd="xfhelp4" icon="gnome-help"/>
<builtin name="Afsluiten" cmd="quit" icon="gnome-logout"/>
</xfdesktop-menu>
Don't see a filemanager.

Second one, I'm not in Gnome. (I'm a newbie, not a fool) (check the screenshot).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	594.9 KB
ID:	11124  
Old 16th January 2007, 03:33 PM
JN4OldSchool Offline

OK, try this. between the terminal and web browser lines add:

<app name="File Manager" cmd="thunar" icon="file manager"/>

The icon part might or might not work, this is copied exactly from mine.

Tags
hijack, xfce