Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 25th November 2006, 09:38 AM
ariadacapo Offline

FC6 Screenshots for GetGNULinux.org

Hello everyone,

I am looking for screenshots of Fedora Core 6 desktops, to put on the GetGNULinux.org website.

GetGNULinux.org is a simple advocacy website about GNU/Linux, explaining basic notions and guiding newcomers to two distributions: Ubuntu and OpenSUSE.
Due to the recent events regarding Novell and Microsoft, we are in the process of giving up OpenSUSE in favour of Fedora Core. We need a few screenshots to illustrate that.

Unfortunately my hardware doesn't quite allow me to install Fedora easily to take screenshots, so here I ask for your kind help doing this. I have looked through the screenshots section on this forum but it is huge and I have trouble finding what I'm looking for.

I am looking for very simple, welcoming screenshots of a desktop with one or two apps running. The goal is not to display the bleeding-edge capabilities of GNU/Linux, but to show that usage-wise it is just like Windows (a desktop, a taskbar, windows, etc). For example, have a look at the current screenshot page
Good screenshots would be attractive to very average users, say "Joe User", or "Your Mum": simple and working with no 3D effects or Gothic backgrounds, and something they could achieve with a few clicks =)

I hope you will be able to help me out, thank you very much in advance.

Best regards,

Olivier
(main author of the getgnulinux.org website)
Old 25th November 2006, 09:58 AM
kona0197 Offline
The Wibble Rouser

Your cause is just yet I wouldn't put FC in there next to Ubuntu. Go with something easier like Xandros. FC ain't exactly a noobie distro as many have agreed.

No fate but what we make...
My Blog: kona0197.wordpress.com
Old 25th November 2006, 10:07 AM
Finalzone Offline
Community Manager

You can look at
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Tours/FedoraCore6 and
http://shots.osdir.com/slideshows/sl...e=749&slide=23
Old 25th November 2006, 10:10 AM
ariadacapo Offline

re: choice of Fedora

Quote:
Originally Posted by kona0197
Your cause is just yet I wouldn't put FC in there next to Ubuntu. Go with something easier like Xandros. FC ain't exactly a noobie distro as many have agreed.
We have discussed this at length and decided to go for FC.
You are right that it's not completely newbie-friendly, but we'll point to Ubuntu + Kubuntu first. The fact that you can't run a live CD of FC and that you need a whole DVD (no easy download for most) will make sure that only determined users go for it. It's more of an "advanced" choice and will be presented as so.

Anyway the choice is made and it's been hard work, so I'm unlikely to start over.
Thanks =)
Old 25th November 2006, 10:13 AM
kona0197 Offline
The Wibble Rouser

Good luck to you then sir. I will give your link to the noobies I know. Help open their MS closed eyes.

Old 25th November 2006, 10:13 AM
ariadacapo Offline

Thanks for that... I am looking for slightly personalised, 1024 to 1600 px res screenshots though...
Old 25th November 2006, 11:01 AM
PsychoTrauma Offline

Here is a screenshot I just took, hopefully it is what you are looking for.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fedora.png
Views:	168
Size:	787.7 KB
ID:	10474  
Old 25th November 2006, 11:12 AM
kona0197 Offline
The Wibble Rouser

I guess I could fire up FC6 in VMware to give you some SSs. But OTOH I don't know how much longer I'll be online.

Old 25th November 2006, 11:20 AM
KStorm Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariadacapo
We have discussed this at length and decided to go for FC.
You are right that it's not completely newbie-friendly, but we'll point to Ubuntu + Kubuntu first. The fact that you can't run a live CD of FC and that you need a whole DVD (no easy download for most) will make sure that only determined users go for it. It's more of an "advanced" choice and will be presented as so.

Anyway the choice is made and it's been hard work, so I'm unlikely to start over.
Thanks =)
Live spins of FC5 and, I think, FC6 are available.

http://torrent.fedoraunity.org/
Old 25th November 2006, 02:52 PM
ariadacapo Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychoTrauma
Here is a screenshot I just took, hopefully it is what you are looking for.
Wonderful! This is really great. Could you (or anyone else!) do another one with a different background (say, from gnome-looks.org), and, say, a OO.o file, like this one? This is exactly what I am looking for.

I will only post two to three screenshots, but there can be many more "behind the curtain" which are displayed randomly. So any additional contribution is welcome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KStorm
Live spins of FC5 and, I think, FC6 are available.
http://torrent.fedoraunity.org/
Thanks for that info... I'll try to get one of these, and, if space permits, will point to it on the website.

@kona0197: Don't hesitate to contribute should you have the opportunity.

I'm really enthusiastic now
Old 26th November 2006, 06:10 PM
ariadacapo Offline

sorry to insist, but could anyone help me out further?
I only need two more simple screenshots before I can switch the whole website from OpenSUSE to Fedora...

Thanks very much!

O
Old 26th November 2006, 06:35 PM
nick.stumpos Offline

how about something like this.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot.png
Views:	151
Size:	268.1 KB
ID:	10492  
Old 26th November 2006, 06:46 PM
ariadacapo Offline

Great! Thanks very much!

Any more propositions?
Old 26th November 2006, 06:48 PM
hiberphoptik Offline

would you use a very large screenshot or are you looking for something in the one monitor size range? I have 4 22 inch LCDs and I can give you a screenshot but it will be very very wide
Old 26th November 2006, 09:54 PM
rappermas Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiberphoptik
would you use a very large screenshot or are you looking for something in the one monitor size range? I have 4 22 inch LCDs and I can give you a screenshot but it will be very very wide
Sitting in front my two 19" monitors, I feel like a complete tool...

VALOR:
HP Pavilion, Intel Pentium IV 3.2 GHz HT, 1 GB Corsair, nVIDIA Quadro FX 1100 (128 MB), SB Live!, HP 16X DVD-Writer 400i, 16X DVD-ROM

HPPAV:
HP Pavilion 8766C, Intel Pentium III 900 MHz, 640 MB PC-100 SDRAM (3 DIMMs), nVIDIA GeForce FX5200 (256 MB), ESS Maestro 2E, HP CD-Writer Plus (CD-RW 4X), Hitachi 8X DVD-ROM