Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center

Go Back   FedoraForum.org > Fedora 19/20 > Security and Privacy
FedoraForum Search

Forgot Password? Join Us!

Security and Privacy Sadly, malware, spyware, hackers and privacy threats abound in today's world. Let's be paranoid and secure our penguins, and slam the doors on privacy exploits.

Old 16th November 2006, 08:42 PM
USACOMPUTERTEC Offline

Exclamation A Bad Bug caused by security updates.

OK I am no Linux wizard but I think I found a big bug you created with your updates for FC6 32 bit. See When I installed FC6 it was fast and worked well. As I keep downloading updates for it I find that strange things start to happen. Yes I reinstall most of my software after kernel updates to make sure it's not just updating the kernel thats the problem. Anyway So I want to browse the internet on my 7 MBs connection. It's soo slow but why? Then My mother on her computer with Windows XP Home 32 bit that runs at a snails pace is loading the same pages at lightning fast speeds. OK so I open VMWare and start my bridged Windows XP Pro 32 bit machine. It loads pages faster than a skulded dog. OK and when I open about 20 tabs my browser crashes? Before I did not have this problem.

I have 2GB of 128 bit DDR2 800 Mhz RAM
2000 FSB board
2.2 Ghz AM2 single core processor with plenty of cache
1000 Mhz ethernet card
No reason to have this lag. Oh did I mention I even tried to load the pages in WIndows in VMWare at the same time as loading them in Linux and the VMWare won?

PLEASE FIX THIS BEFOR I GO CRAZY!
Life is like your computer. It can be easy like Linux or it can be hard like Windows. Few people seek Linux and few people seek the truth of the Bible. The best things in life are free. Forgiveness, Linux, Open Source, The Outdoors, and a lot of other things. Some of the worst things in life cost money like drugs, tobaco, alkihol, and other harmfull things.www.mindblowingidea.com
Old 16th November 2006, 08:48 PM
Seve Offline
Retired Community Manager

Hello:
If this is indeed a bug and it may well be, you need to do the right thing and report it: Please keep in mind this is just a support forum for users.
http://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla/
Then follow the bug report and see what the resolution is.
Seve
Registered Linux User: #384977
.................................................. ............
See the Links below for more Help and those much wanted extras ... :)
Old 16th November 2006, 08:59 PM
Dan Offline
Administrator

Quote:
PLEASE FIX THIS BEFORE I GO CRAZY!
Whoops! Too late!

Just poking some fun at you, USA. However, I think there was an SELinux policy update in the last batch to come down. Not sure that's the problem, but it'll give you something to look at while you wait for the next update that might fix it!

Dan
Old 16th November 2006, 09:00 PM
paul matthijsse Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by USACOMPUTERTEC
As I keep downloading updates for it I find that strange things start to happen.
Automatically downloading updates *can* cause problems (but nothing is guaranteed here). That's why I stopped using this service.
Quote:
Originally Posted by USACOMPUTERTEC
Yes I reinstall most of my software after kernel updates to make sure it's not just updating the kernel thats the problem.
Really no need to do that, in my opinion.

About your internet slowing down -- no idea why that is. If it works ok in VM then your connection is good. Have you checked Firefox connection settings? Last thing: I never noticed that FF crashed with 20 tabs open. Other question: why would you have so many tabs open? Some pages can take processor activity, 20 of them might indeed cause problems... If nothing helps, then ask your mother if you may use her lightning fast Windows box! :-)

Cheers, Paul.
Old 16th November 2006, 09:05 PM
nick.stumpos Offline

you could try disabling ip6
see the link in my sig for the how-to

Tags
bad, bug, caused, security, updates