Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 31st October 2006, 12:55 AM
LiveFree Offline

Installing .exe drivers

Hello All,

Lets say that my laptop sounds like CRAP without the proper sound drivers which, guess what, are in the .exe format

Conexant CX20468-31 AC97

Should I run them through wine to install the drivers or is there a way to extract the driver files?

Thanks (FC 5 btw)
Old 31st October 2006, 06:32 AM
pobbz Offline

Hello.

AFAIK there's absolutely NO WAY what so ever to install windows hardware drivers on linux. And even IF -- and that's a huge if -- there existed some kind of a hacking procedure to "install" such drivers on linux there's no way they could ever work.

But then again, I remember hearing that there was some NTFS file system driver on linux which actually used a genuine windows .dll to do the actual talking with the filelsystem. However, I strongly doubt that anyone has developed such a wrapper for your specific soundcard driver, if that's even possible, that is. But as far as installing the windows driver directly, to my knowledge, there simply is no way to do it. Of course you could go about installing some virtualization environmet, like VMWare or such, and then install some Windows on it AND THEN install the drivers on that virtually run OS.

Please, people, correct me if I'm wrong here.

EDIT: Maybe your laptop sounding like crap is because of the sound server you are using. I'm refering here to things like OSS and ALSA and such. Maybe changing that could do the trick, but I'm no where near an expert level on these things, so if I were you, I'd get a second opinion on this.

Last edited by pobbz; 31st October 2006 at 06:37 AM.
Old 31st October 2006, 06:37 AM
Wayne

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveFree
Hello All,

Lets say that my laptop sounds like CRAP without the proper sound drivers which, guess what, are in the .exe format

Conexant CX20468-31 AC97

Should I run them through wine to install the drivers or is there a way to extract the driver files?

Thanks (FC 5 btw)
You are just kidding, right?

Wayne
Old 2nd November 2006, 11:16 PM
LiveFree Offline

Hey Thanks for the help,

Ill look into switching around my sound server

Tags
drivers, exe, installing