Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 15th October 2006, 01:54 PM
tech291083 Offline

Connecting two Fedora pcs with one crossover cable

Hi,

i have two pcs both having fedora core 5 linux. both are single boot systems ie only linux on them no windows. none of them is gonna be connected to the internet. so this is just a small home network. only the 2 pcs talking to each other only. no more pcs are gonna be added to this network as well. i have one crossover cable to connect these 2 pcs. don't have a router/switch. i want to share files between them. how do i do so? need to use nfs? struggling to get hold of any decent tutorials/step by step guides- on the net particularly with regard to fedora 5. please guide me. thanks.
Old 15th October 2006, 04:31 PM
PilotJLR Offline

Yes, NFS would work just fine.

Once you connect them, manually assign each an IP address so they can talk. For example, computer one can be IP 192.168.1.1, mask 255.255.255.0 and computer two can be 192.168.1.2, mask 255.255.255.0

Then make an NFS server on each with the graphical tools included with Fedora.
Old 15th October 2006, 04:46 PM
tech291083 Offline

Hi Pilot,

Thanks a lot for the reply. but can you please tell me,

1. how to assign the ip address manually? can you please give me some command i have tried to look on the net but i m a bit confused as which one actually does the job.

2. also looking for a fedora based tutorial for setting up the nfs server. can't seem to be to find something suitable here as well.

3. do i need to set up the nfs server on both?

i m quite new to linux. thanks.
Old 16th October 2006, 03:48 AM
Zotter Offline

As in most things *nixish, there're several ways to do many things. Here's but one method:

To manually set interface IP addys:
IN the Gnome menu bar - click on System > Administration > Networking. Put in your root password.

Highlite the interface, click on Edit. Do the do.

PC1
IP - 192.168.1.2
mask 255.255.255.0
gw - 192.168.1.2

PC2
IP - 192.168.1.3
mask 255.255.255.0
gw - 192.168.1.3

You'll find a tool in the Administration > Server Settings > NFS menu to help configure your NFS shares. You can also use man exports to read up on how to manuall configure the /etc/exports file.

You can read up on NFS for how to configure your /etc/fstab file to automount these shares on bootup.

And yes - you'll need to setup the NFS shares one each machine - if you want to have access to that files machine from the other. If all you need is a common share point accessable by both machines, then no. Setup one of them as an NFS server and then access those files localy on that server, and via NFS from the other PC.

Good luck!
Registered Linux user #227845

Last edited by Zotter; 16th October 2006 at 03:50 AM.

Tags
cable, connecting, crossover, fedora, pcs