Having just signed to Tiscali, the supplied modem is a USB sagem 800. This works fine in Win 98 but I'm having problems in Linux. see below. . .

The modem is supported by FC5 and I have followed the instructions and installed the ueagle-atm firmware(ref: UEagelAtmDoc) (the french part too).
According to
/var/log/messaages the modem is operational with firmware version 44e2ea17;
cat /sys/bus/driver/ueagl-atm/3-1:1.0/human_status gives "modem is operational" but eaglediag fails. in trying to launch ppp0.

According to the "Network configuration" gui (from the KDE start menu) It seems that the device is recognised as ADSL-USB modem, type ethernet and trying to sit at eth0.
This seems strange to me as a connection for a USB modem which is connected to USB port 3.

Running ads-setup only results in creating the same type of eth connection - which still doesn't work.
Using "connect" from the gui resuts in error messages related to ifup ppp0

/proc/driver.ueagle-atm does not exist
/etc/modules does not exist.

=====
resolv.conf is in /etc and /var/run/ppp with a content of "local.domain" and 127.0.0.1
? is this correct?
=====

The end line is that I am lost - the modem seems to be OK but the access to is seems to be set up wrongly - I've searched many forums but still can't sort it out.
Help would be much appreciated