<---- template headericclude ----->
Ahhh?! Still cant find it lol
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
    Mesto Guest

Ahhh?! Still cant find it lol

ok, i followed this guide http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showth...896#post322896 for installing Fedora 4, instead of FC2 ok anyways this was my first time insstalling FC4 on a new hardrive (well a linux free hardware) anyways the installation went fine but when i got to the Parittion manager/Boot section i got really confused

i have 4 Hardrives

2 x SATA 200GB Seagate Hardrives (approximately 180GB) Windows XP on 1 Drive
    1 x EIDE 160GB Hardrive
    and 1 x EIDE 80Gb Hardrive (partitioned into 2 so its a total of 5 drives (thats what windows see's ok)

ok anyways during the install it didnt even acknowledge the SATA drives but instead recoqnized the 2 IDE drives, ok

i got to the partition part i saw some of my NTFS partitions and those weren't checked so i thought all was good, got ot the next part where it asked about where to install Grub and i saw it had said install to MBR which fedora installer was pointing to my 160GB hardrive not sure if its primary or not but this drive is only backup so installing it on that drive would be pointless am i right?

anyways i instructed Fedora Core to install in 1 the first boot sector of the linux drive

went install went fine, reboot went to windows xp ok i expected this after reading
    http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showth...896#post322896.

ok i burned my Rescue CD and booted it, hmmm i think i did everything right i opted it to query my network so i had access to do stuff. but all i got was a console i typed

chroot /mnt/sysimage <--not sure if i was supposed ot put hdc3 or smoething there and it tells me it cannot change root no such file/diretory

=/ so im at this point now what am i supposed to do?

i had tried madrake before like 2 years ago making me 14 but i lacked knowledge in the unix field (funny thing was i could muniplate a Mac OS system/Windows System but when it came ot linux i was a noob, even though its unix), im 16 now and have a fascination with Open Source ive used some Live Cd's such as the latest i gues you can say ubuntu really slow though.

so what must i do now? i dont want to format and then reparition my 80GB drive again copying over the files i place on 1 of my sATA drives i refuse to giveup, the only thing i dont want ot do is use the GRUB bootloader as my primary i want to edit the NTDLR one so i can boot to Linux but i need the .bin file or whatever that corrosponds with booting linux/grub so i can upload it via FTP then place it on my C: drive
    i would like not to mess with my XP drive, i built my computer 1year and a half ago and formatted more than 30 times within that year and this one and i have everything perfect on this one, applications,spring fresh clean, ffdshow codecs :P and i would hate to do this twice funny thing was i couldnt find a boot folder when i did this at the command or terminal or w/e

ls

it listed some folders but no Boot =/

please help me!! i would ike to learn as much with fedora core and other distros' ASAP im done with WinBlows (except for gaming) and if i can get the drivers in Linux to work since it recognized my video card then i wont need windows for watching my anime and such so please reply with any help!! thanks oh yea this was my first time installing FC4 on my 80GB Parititoned to 40GB drive so thanks also i was wondering when i set it to boot that drive in my bios it kind of didnt it said error loading OS and i was wondering is this because i have to many drives? or what..also my spects are listed in my signature...
    also sorry about the run ons and fragments dont have time to edit 4:30 AM EST very tired :P so when i wake up i expect an answer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To condense your post a bit: You booted from a rescue cd and did chroot /mnt/sysimage but got an error message about no such file/directory. Your question is what to do.

You say you burned a rescue cd. Which rescue cd are you using? Was there a reason not to use the first FC4 cd as a rescue disk?
    "Never let the task you are trying to accomplish distract you from the study of computers."

Mesto Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by tashirosgt
    To condense your post a bit: You booted from a rescue cd and did chroot /mnt/sysimage but got an error message about no such file/directory. Your question is what to do.

You say you burned a rescue cd. Which rescue cd are you using? Was there a reason not to use the first FC4 cd as a rescue disk?
    o_o!! the First FC4 Cd can be used as a rescue>!?!?!?, Told you linux nooby.

Mesto Guest
    ^%$BUMP and an Update, ok i was in Rescue through the 1st FC4 cd ok. was able to chroot /mnt/sysimage

ok i typed: ls to see if everything should be there

i saw boot, i cd'ed to boot and saw alot of stuff so i did this

dd if=/dev/hdc3 of=/fc4boot.bin bs=512 count=1"

ok i was able to upload to an FTP, i booted to XP and downloaded the .bin,then i added C:\fc4boot.bin="fedora Core 4" to my boot.ini

Feeling happy i saw the Screen ask me which i wanted to boot, XPprofessional or Fedora Core 4 immediately i cheered but then i remembered it might not do anything i hit fedora core 4 and all i got was a bling cursor

im not sure if my bs should be "512" or "1024"

ok upon fresh installiong of FC4 i noticed my /boot was on hdc2 and not 3! so im wondering i change that command a bit and upload it im wondering if ill get the Post boot screen(1st time boot)

Thanks again :P

Mesto Guest
    ^ BUMP~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ok another update,

when i use the bin created using the bs=5 12

i get GRUB and a blinking Cursor, (i feel like im getting closer and closer)

when i try the one with bs=1024 i get the same thing =/

ok i have a another question!!

i could try installing the boot to my MBR to my SATA drive(hdd has windows xp on it)

but ive read to many problems about not being able to access XP, or it corrupting XP installs and i would hate to lose all of my information and dont hgave anymore CD's or DVD's to back up anthing =/
    Last edited by Mesto; 4th August 2005 at 12:36 AM.

Mesto Guest
    Bump Original Question!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You original question was what to do about the file not found error when you did /mnt/sysimage. But now it sounds like you have re-installed FC4 again since then and gotten the rescue cd to work. (There might be some forum members who have the patience to read the blow-by-blow account and keep track of where you are, but I lack that ability!) I would want to understand exactly how your drives are partitioned and which ones are recognized by the system. So I would want to see the output of fdisk -l
    "Never let the task you are trying to accomplish distract you from the study of computers."

Mesto Guest
    i mightjust have to use google and search for my question at hand, my problem isnt installing and getting the .bin file anymore or editting the ntdlr bootloader to load XP pro or Fedora Core 4 my problem now is all i get is Grub and a blinking Cursor,, thanks for all your help though.

if i run into more problems all make another thread about that sitution and not from begining to end...