UPDATED w/ PDF
Current Revision Date: FRIDAY, JUNE 16, 2006
HowTo: Setup a Home / Office Server with local (LAN
) FTP, HTTP and MySQL using FEDORA CORE 4 (Stenze
For many months I have tried to setup a simple, yet fun and productive home server that resides behind a firewall (d-link 514 b router) using FC4 and a FRESH INSTALL. Reading many snippets of howtos, from various websites, not only got me confused; but I got ticked off a lot when I was almost done setting up the box… then it didn’t work.
This HowTo, will (hopefully) guide you on setting up a successful little server with a localized LAN FTP for the Web Administrator (you), a MySQL database, a working HTTP Web Server and to add to that… A nice GUI for MySQL (phpMyAdmin) and lets not forget the email part… (Outgoing only) through an authenticated smtp server using Postfix 2.2.2 and your ISP Provider.
Server Setup Summary:
- FTP Server for web-admin to upload web content on LAN (external FTP optional)
- A SECURED MySQL Database for “stuff”…
- GUI Interface (phpMyAdmin) for MySQL.
- DynDNS.org Auto-updater with caching (running as a system daemon)
- Email MTA using Authentication (Postfix) for OUTGOING emails ONLY.
Time Required: (depending on the hardware) 2 hours or less..
Our OS: Fedora Core 4 (Stenze Release) 2005
Our Updater: YUM
What You Need: Old Hardware, working Internet on a LAN…
(EIGHT (8) Steps.... Posted in 8 Replies detailing each section)