Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 7th June 2005, 06:13 PM
n3r0 Offline

Setting service to start on bootup

Hello

I have recently moved from debian to FC3 because it had support for my wireless card. Anyways, I am by no means an advanced linux user but I was just wondering if someone could help me.

Im trying to get named to start on boot (at the least) and also preferably be able to be sent commands with the 'service' command (service named start)

I uninstalled the built in named that came with my FC3 because my config files are all written for bind 9.3.1 and did not work with that weird DNS chroot business that was on the default install. so i rpm -e 'd all that and compiled named from source.

anyone know how i can get something to automatically generate init.d scripts for this program? can someone post a normal named init script along with the K or S rc.d entries? I never did this manually before but i tried using chkconfig --add /usr/sbin/named on and that didnt work.

The named server runs fine, all i really need to do is pass it

/usr/sbin/named start

when the machine starts. it doesnt need to be more complicated than that but if anyone know where i should put this line ( should i mess with init.d or jsut skip it?? ) let me know please.

Tags
bootup, service, setting, start