Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 3rd July 2013, 10:26 PM
csillva Offline

linuxfirefox
Suspend trouble with lid close on Gnome 3.8 & Fedora 19

Fedora 19 & Gnome 3.8, doesn't seem to want to suspend when I close the laptop lid.

Checked dconf settings at >org>gnome>plugins>power, and the switch for suspend with lid close has been gnome enhanced, aka removed. Obviously nothing in the Gnome 3.8 release notes, aka marketing brochures, mentioned this. But I'm surprised Fedora release notes don't either.

Only suspend related error I could find in my logs was in messages,
Quote:
Jul 2 14:38:51 localhost /etc/gdm/Xsession[904]: INFO : GSettings missing key org.gnome.settings-daemon.plugins.power (key lid-close-suspend-with-external-monitor)
Jul 2 14:38:51 localhost /etc/gdm/Xsession[904]: INFO : GSettings missing key org.gnome.settings-daemon.plugins.power (key lid-close-battery-action)
Jul 2 14:38:51 localhost /etc/gdm/Xsession[904]: INFO : GSettings missing key org.gnome.settings-daemon.plugins.power (key lid-close-ac-action)
The pm-powersave log was completely empty.

Any tips or advice greatly appreciated,
Old 3rd July 2013, 10:42 PM
Flounder Offline

linuxfirefox
Re: Suspend trouble with lid close on Gnome 3.8 & Fedora 19

Go to /etc/systemd/logind.conf and check and see if the line HandleLidSwitch=suspend is commented out. If it is, uncomment it. This change was introduced in Fedora 18 which is why the 19 notes probably don't mention it. Systemd now handles lid events.
Old 4th July 2013, 02:27 AM
csillva Offline

linuxfirefox

The line was commented out, but changing that had no effect. In fact, I've got the laptop setup to automatically suspend after 15 minutes when not plugged in, and 2 hours when plugged in, and when I came home from shopping I found that it had failed to suspend.

And when I say failed to suspend, I don't mean still up and running, I mean, screen is off, power button and sleep indicator (a halfmoon led on the thinkpad) are flashing quickly to indicate an error. You can still hear the fan running and the disk is on. And it can't be woken up, you have to do a hard power off and then turn it back on.

I'm going to look through the other logs now, but what happened to pm-utils log?
Old 6th August 2013, 08:44 AM
WillKemp Offline

linuxchrome

I've got the opposite problem - when i close the lid it suspends and i don't want it to. There doesn't seem to be any way to change that any more. I never minded Gnome 3 before, but it seems to be getting worse!
Old 7th August 2013, 12:22 PM
jvroig Offline

windows_7firefox

@WillKemp:

I just had the same "need" as you - I didn't want my laptop (an HP Probook) to suspend when the lid is closed (primarily, because Fedora doesn't seem to resume correctly on HP Probooks for a few years now).

Anyway, so I wanted it to not suspend when the lid is closed, dug around, found this post, and figured out what worked for me. If you haven't solved yours yet, this may work:

Code:
su -
cd /etc/systemd/
gedit logind.conf
From here, uncomment the line "HandleLidSwitch=suspend", then change "suspend" to "lock".

I also uncommented the line "LidSwitchIgnoreInhibited=yes", but I don't think it's actually necessary because that is already the default behavior.

It worked as expected on my next boot (didn't try it right after, but I don't suppose it won't work). It doesn't suspend, screen just locks and blanks.
Old 7th August 2013, 09:29 PM
WillKemp Offline

linuxchrome

Thanks for that! It worked.

Tags
close, fedora, gnome, lid, suspend, trouble