Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 18th July 2013, 03:19 AM
agande123 Offline

linuxfirefox
F19 rEFInd Windows 8 not detected problem

Well basically , I instailled Ubuntu alongside my Windows 8 on my lenovo laptop that came with Windows 8 installed on it. Ubuntu wasn't recognizing Windows 8 for some reason on the GRUB screen and I tried using boot repair, but it didn't work. Instead, today, I installed Fedora 19, which I like better than ubuntu, and installed it over the ubuntu partition.

Luckily, I was able to boot into F19 and everyworthing works perfectly fine. The main issue I'm having is that on that the GRUB screen, there was no listing for Windows 8. I tried following the instructions on the forums, and I installed a new loading manager called rEFInd. When I loaded that up, I saw three linux entries, 2 windows entries, a couple of random ubuntu entries, and some other general entries.

When I click on the first fedora entry, everything boots up fine. However, when I click on the window entries, weird things happen:
Entry 1) bootngfw.efi:

Starting bootngfw.efi
Using load options
error: file '/boot/grub/x86_64-efi/normal.mod' not found.
grub_rescue>

Entry 2)

Starting bootmgr.efi
Using load options ' '
Error: Unsupported while loadingbootmgr.efi
*Hit any key to continue*

My computer is a new one and it is currently in UEFI mode with SecureBoot disabled.

I have two questions:
1) How can I access Windows 8 ?
2)How to consolidate all the entries in rEFInd so it only has Fedora and Windows 8?(I installed F19 over ubuntu 13.04 so idk why ubuntu entries are still there)

Thanks for your time.
Old 18th July 2013, 03:51 AM
GoinEasy9 Offline

linuxfirefox
Re: F19 rEFInd Windows 8 not detected problem

Ubuntu's entry is still there because it has to be manually removed from the ESP, and, from the NVRAM.

I use efibootmgr to remove old entries. Use "efibootmgr -v" to show you what entries are there. Mine looks like this:

[root@Fedora19kdeFX GoinEasy9]# efibootmgr -v
BootCurrent: 0002
Timeout: 3 seconds
BootOrder: 0002,0001,0003,0006,0004,0000
Boot0000* CD/DVD Drive BIOS(3,0,00)
Boot0001* opensuse HD(1,800,61800,6d98f360-cb3e-4727-8fed-5ce0c040365d)File(\EFI\opensuse\grubx64.efi)
Boot0002* Fedora HD(1,800,61800,6d98f360-cb3e-4727-8fed-5ce0c040365d)File(\EFI\fedora\shim.efi)
Boot0003* Fedora_17 HD(1,800,61800,6d98f360-cb3e-4727-8fed-5ce0c040365d)File(\EFI\redhat\grub.efi)
Boot0004* Hard Drive BIOS(2,0,00)P0: ST1500DM003-9YN16G .
Boot0006* debian HD(1,800,61800,6d98f360-cb3e-4727-8fed-5ce0c040365d)File(\EFI\debian\grubx64.efi)

If I wanted to remove the debian entry, I would use "efibootmgr -b 6 -B" - This would remove Boot0006, which is the debian line. I would also go into /boot/efi/EFI and see if there is an debian folder and remove that also. You would do the same with your Ubuntu entry.

efibootmgr -h displays all the options. You should be familiar with them if you're using UEFI and Linux.

BTW - The same thing happened to me when I replaced Ubuntu with F17 using the same partitions.

I don't use Windows, so, I can't help you with that end of your question, but, the author of rEFInd is a member of the forum, and, will probably have an answer. Just be patient.
Registered Linux User #348347
Have you been seduced by siduction? http://siduction.org/index.php
Running Fedora 19/20, siduction and openSUSE 13.1 with KDE
Old 18th July 2013, 04:45 AM
jbs1136 Offline

linuxchrome

Fairly new to Fedora but just bought a new laptop with Windows 8 and put Fedora 19 on it. It is an Acer so a little different but I discovered that Windows would not boot unless UEFI and Secure Boot was enabled. I had first installed Fedora with Secure Boot disabled and couldn't get Windows to Boot. Enabled Secure Boot and reinstalled Fedora.

YMMV,

john
Old 18th July 2013, 05:11 PM
srs5694 Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by agande123 View Post
When I click on the first fedora entry, everything boots up fine. However, when I click on the window entries, weird things happen:
Entry 1) bootngfw.efi:

Starting bootngfw.efi
Using load options
error: file '/boot/grub/x86_64-efi/normal.mod' not found.
grub_rescue>
This is happening because Boot Repair renames the Windows boot loader (bootmgfw.efi) to bkpbootmgfw.efi and places a copy of GRUB in its place. Thus, rEFInd is discovering this file and enabling you to launch it. Unfortunately, Ubuntu installs GRUB in such a way that it's dependent on files in the Ubuntu /boot directory. When you replaced Ubuntu with Fedora, that directory was wiped out, so this copy of GRUB is now useless.

Quote:
Entry 2)

Starting bootmgr.efi
Using load options ' '
Error: Unsupported while loadingbootmgr.efi
*Hit any key to continue*
This one isn't clear to me. An "unsupported" error when launching an EFI program generally means that the file isn't recognized as a valid EFI application. Thus, taken at face value, it looks like the file may have been corrupted. There are some problems with this, though. First, the filename is wrong -- it would probably be bkpbootmgfw.efi if this were the true Windows boot loader. I don't recall offhand if there's a "helper" program called bootmgr.efi. If so, it could be that bkpbootmgfw.efi is trying to launch this helper program -- but the "Starting" message is from rEFInd. Also, although files certainly can be damaged, such damage is unlikely, so the possibility of a damaged boot loader file seems a bit remote, even in light of the symptom you report. Note that I only added support for reporting bkpbootmgfw.efi to rEFInd 0.7.1, so if you're running an earlier version of rEFInd, you wouldn't see this option. In that case (or maybe even if you're running rEFInd 0.7.1), it could be that this really is a file called bootmgr.efi that's in another directory from the Windows boot loader files, and it might legitimately not be a valid boot loader.

Overall, I recommend you do the following:
  1. In Linux, back up the /boot/efi directory. That's your entire ESP. Back it up to a tarball or to some convenient directory (say, your /root directory). The ESP doesn't hold lots of files, so this shouldn't take much space. You can use this backup if any of the following steps makes things worse.
  2. If you're running a rEFInd prior to 0.7.1, upgrade it.
  3. In Linux, cd to /boot/efi/EFI/Microsoft/Boot. This is the Microsoft boot loader directory.
  4. Type "ls -l *.efi" to see all the EFI files. My suspicion is that you'll see bootmgfw.efi (the GRUB copy), bkpbootmgfw.efi (the Microsoft boot loader under another name), and possibly one or two other .efi files. If you don't see bkpbootmgfw.efi or if you see something really weird (like a 0-length bkpbootmgfw.efi), quit and report what you've found.
  5. Type "mv bkpbootmgfw.efi bootmgfw.efi" to restore the Windows boot loader to its proper name and overwrite the now-useless Boot Repair version of GRUB.
  6. Reboot and try to boot Windows. (You should see just one entry for it in rEFInd.) If it still fails, report back, and pay very careful attention to the filenames reported.

If you still can't boot at this point, you may need to run a Windows recovery disc to have it restore your Windows boot loader. Note that this might cause the system to boot directly to Windows, which you can correct using the Windows "bcdedit" command (as described in the rEFInd documentation) or possibly in your firmware's user interface.

Quote:
1) How can I access Windows 8 ?
See above.

Quote:
2)How to consolidate all the entries in rEFInd so it only has Fedora and Windows 8?(I installed F19 over ubuntu 13.04 so idk why ubuntu entries are still there)
The Ubuntu entry is still there because rEFInd is detecting the Ubuntu version of GRUB in the ESP's EFI/ubuntu directory (that is, /boot/efi/EFI/ubuntu from Linux). You can delete this directory to remove the Ubuntu entry.

You might have multiple Fedora entries for either or both of at least two reasons:
  • rEFInd will auto-detect Fedora's version of GRUB, which is in the ESP's EFI/fedora directory (/boot/efi/EFI/fedora in Linux). If you don't want this entry, you can either delete this copy of GRUB or uncomment and edit the "dont_scan_dirs" or "dont_scan_files" options in refind.conf (presumably in /boot/efi/EFI/refind from Linux) to tell rEFInd to not scan for this boot loader.
  • rEFInd will, depending on how it was installed and configured, detect Linux kernels with EFI stub loaders and enable you to launch them directly. If you don't want to boot in this way, you can uncomment the "scan_all_linux_kernels" line in refind.conf to make them disappear.

If there are other unwanted entries, you can follow the same basic procedures noted here -- delete boot loaders if you're certain you'll never use them or use "dont_scan_files", "dont_scan_dirs", or other refind.conf options to cause rEFInd to remove them from its boot list. If you need help, you'll need to post more details, such as the text that appears beneath the icons when you highlight any one that you want to eliminate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoinEasy9
Ubuntu's entry is still there because it has to be manually removed from the ESP, and, from the NVRAM.
Yes and no. rEFInd doesn't use the NVRAM entries, so removing Ubuntu's entry from the NVRAM will do nothing to remove the entry from the rEFInd menu. Editing the NVRAM entries with efibootmgr will affect the firmware's own boot manager, which you can typically access by hitting a function key early in the boot process. To remove the entry from rEFInd, you must either delete it from the hard disk or use a rEFInd configuration option (like "dont_scan_dirs") to hide it. Given that Ubuntu has been removed from the computer, deleting Ubuntu's GRUB file from the hard disk is the preferable solution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbs1136
I discovered that Windows would not boot unless UEFI and Secure Boot was enabled. I had first installed Fedora with Secure Boot disabled and couldn't get Windows to Boot. Enabled Secure Boot and reinstalled Fedora.
Windows should have no problem booting with Secure Boot disabled, and in fact I've seen numerous reports from people who've done so without problems. I therefore suspect that something else was causing your problem. For instance, many people go into the firmware and change two or three settings. If you did that (say, disabling Secure Boot and enabling a legacy boot option), it's conceivable that changing the other option caused the problem. This could be true even if you subsequently went in and enabled Secure Boot and the problem went away. This is because on most computers, enabling Secure Boot also automatically changes other options or renders them moot. Most notably, enabling Secure Boot often disables CSM/BIOS/legacy boot support. Thus, if the computer wasn't booting because CSM/BIOS/legacy-mode support was interfering, and if you did as I've just outlined, it would appear as if Secure Boot was required to boot, when in fact it was the CSM/BIOS/legacy support that was the real culprit.
Old 18th July 2013, 08:08 PM
agande123 Offline

windows_7firefox

Thanks guys for your response!

srs, I tried following your directions, but my computer doesn't have a /Microsoft folder in the
boot/efi/EFI folder. It only has fedora. What does this mean?
Old 19th July 2013, 12:58 AM
srs5694 Offline

linuxfirefox

Agande123, please type the following commands (you may need to be root, especially for the second command):

Code:
ls -l `find /boot -iname "*.efi"`
parted -l
Note those are backticks just before "find" and at the end of the first line, not single-quotes. (The backtick appears to the left of the "1" key on most USA keyboards. I'm not sure about non-USA keyboards.) Post the output of those commands here; that should help me understand what's going on. Please enclose the output in a code block to preserve its formatting.
Old 19th July 2013, 05:51 AM
agande123 Offline

linuxfirefox

srs, here is what I got after running the commands on your post:

Code:
[root@localhost aditya]# ls -l `find /boot -iname "*.efi"`
-rwx------. 1 root root 1363376 Jun 20 07:23 /boot/efi/EFI/BOOT/BOOTX64.EFI
-rwx------. 1 root root   65280 Jun 20 07:23 /boot/efi/EFI/BOOT/fallback.efi
-rwx------. 1 root root  931176 Jul  2 11:29 /boot/efi/EFI/fedora/gcdx64.efi
-rwx------. 1 root root  931176 Jul  2 11:29 /boot/efi/EFI/fedora/grubx64.efi
-rwx------. 1 root root 1184784 Jun 20 07:23 /boot/efi/EFI/fedora/MokManager.efi
-rwx------. 1 root root 1363376 Jun 20 07:23 /boot/efi/EFI/fedora/shim.efi
-rwx------. 1 root root 1354752 Jun 20 07:23 /boot/efi/EFI/fedora/shim-fedora.efi
-rwx------. 1 root root   39144 Jul 17 19:48 /boot/efi/EFI/refind/drivers_x64/ext4_x64.efi
-rwx------. 1 root root  173032 Jul 17 19:48 /boot/efi/EFI/refind/grubx64.efi
-rwx------. 1 root root 1189220 Jul 17 19:48 /boot/efi/EFI/refind/MokManager.efi
-rwx------. 1 root root 1371224 Jul 17 19:48 /boot/efi/EFI/refind/shim.efi
[root@localhost aditya]# parted -l
Model: ATA ST1000LM024 HN-M (scsi)
Disk /dev/sda: 1000GB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/4096B
Partition Table: gpt
Disk Flags: 

Number  Start   End     Size    File system  Name                          Flags
 1      1049kB  1050MB  1049MB  ntfs         Basic data partition          hidden, diag
 2      1050MB  1259MB  210MB   fat16        EFI System Partition          boot
 3      1322MB  2371MB  1049MB  fat32        Basic data partition          hidden
 4      2371MB  2505MB  134MB                Microsoft reserved partition  msftres
 5      2505MB  503GB   500GB   ntfs         Basic data partition
 8      503GB   503GB   524MB   ext4
 9      503GB   943GB   440GB                                              lvm
10      943GB   943GB   419MB   ext4
 6      952GB   979GB   26.8GB  ntfs         Basic data partition
 7      979GB   1000GB  21.5GB  ntfs         Basic data partition          hidden, diag

Model: Linux device-mapper (linear) (dm)
Disk /dev/mapper/fedora-home: 378GB
Partition Table: loop
Disk Flags: 

Number  Start  End    Size   File system  Flags
 1      0.00B  378GB  378GB  ext4

Disk /dev/mapper/fedora-swap: 8338MB
Disk Flags: 

Number  Start  End     Size    File system     Flags
 1      0.00B  8338MB  8338MB  linux-swap(v1)

Disk /dev/mapper/fedora-root: 53.7GB
Disk Flags: 

Number  Start  End     Size    File system  Flags
 1      0.00B  53.7GB  53.7GB  ext4

Warning: Unable to open /dev/sr0 read-write (Read-only file system).  /dev/sr0
has been opened read-only.
Error: The partition's data region doesn't occupy the entire partition.
Ignore/Cancel? ignore                                                     
Error: Can't have overlapping partitions.
Model: MAT****A DVD-RAM UJ8C2 (scsi)                                      
Disk /dev/sr0: 997MB
Sector size (logical/physical): 2048B/2048B
Partition Table: unknown
Disk Flags:
Old 19th July 2013, 02:07 PM
srs5694 Offline

linuxfirefox

You've got two FAT partitions on your disk. /dev/sda2 is your ESP, but it's FAT16, which is technically incorrect and it's not the way that Microsoft sets up its ESP, although most Linux distributions do set up a FAT16 ESP. /dev/sda3 is a FAT partition, but it's not marked as an ESP. Nonetheless, it could be holding your Microsoft boot files. Perhaps it used to be the ESP but its type code was changed; or perhaps it was a separate partition that some manufacturers are including with their computers.

My suspicion is that your manufacturer originally shipped the computer with a FAT32 ESP on /dev/sda2 and another FAT32 partition on /dev/sda3 holding its own duplicate or extra components. Somewhere in your installations and system changes, you accidentally erased the ESP, converting it to FAT16.

It's conceivable you'll be able to get the system to boot Windows by applying the numbered procedure in post #4 to your /dev/sda3 rather than to the ESP. (You can temporarily mount /dev/sda3 at /boot/efi and use the procedure as written.) I'm not optimistic that this will work, but it might, and it's worth trying.

If that fails, you'll have to run a Windows recovery tool. A Windows installation disc should have such tools; or if you don't have such a disc, try Googling for a Windows recovery disc. (I know such tools are readily available, but I don't have any URLs handy.) If you're lucky, this will work right off. Unfortunately, there is a possible glitch: The Windows installer tends to flake out when it sees a FAT16 ESP. If the recovery tools do the same thing, your setup will cause problems. There are two obvious workarounds:
  • Back up your ESP (/dev/sda2), re-create it as FAT32, and restore its files. You'll also probably have to adjust /etc/fstab.
  • Using parted or GParted, remove the "boot flag" from /dev/sda2, remove the "hidden flag" from /dev/sda3, and set the "boot flag" on /dev/sda3. This will make /dev/sda3 your ESP. The Windows repair tools will then restore the Windows boot loader to that partition. You can then use parted or GParted to reverse this process, or at least to set the "boot flag" back on /dev/sda2. (The EFI spec explicitly states that it's fine to have two ESPs on a disk, although the Windows installer flakes out when it sees such a setup.)

I'm sorry you've run into such a series of problems. Good luck in your repairs!
Old 26th July 2013, 07:19 AM
wokay123 Offline

windows_8firefox

Thanks everyone for providing some input on my problem, I recently performed a lenovo onekey recovery on my laptop and reinstalled fedora using fedora live-USB creator. The grub is working fine now, and windows doesn't seem to have any issues. the Fedora installation is also working mostly fine now(minus some issues with packagekit and suspect). Still I'm enjoying fedora a lot so thanks again!

Tags
detected, f19, problem, refind, windows