Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 1st December 2012, 01:55 PM
jff Offline

linuxfirefox
Re: Fedora 18 impressions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenrin View Post
apart from Python development in Anjuta IDE I agree that Fedora 18 is mostly stable.

issues I found recently:
  • creating archives via file-roller does not work; it shows the error message "An error occured while loading the archive" always (Xarchiver seems to be more reliable)
  • opening images in nautilus via gnome default Image viewer, does not bring the image window on the top if another image is already opened; on the third image opened it will result in the mouse pointer spinning for a long time
Nautilus connect to server and some gnome-shell extensions, like places-menu does not work for me.
Old 6th December 2012, 12:37 AM
Mikko Offline

linuxfirefox

My experience so far on an old, dual core 32-bit (Yonah) laptop from 2006:

- Live image runs nicely from a USB flash drive.

- Anaconda crashed or hung a bunch of times before I managed to complete the install to hard drive. I had to yum update anaconda in the live system before it worked.

- The F18 kernel does not boot from hard drive, even though the live system runs just fine. I don't understand why. The current F17 kernel doesn't boot from hard drive on my system either. They both hang during systemd init, before syslog starts. They start the hard drive, ethernet devices and cardbus, according to the messages in text mode, and then just hang. I'm now running F18 on a F15 2.6 kernel, which also doesn't seem to boot successfully every time, but at least it does some of the time. I'm pretty thoroughly mystified. This doesn't seem to be a hardware problem, since the F18 live systems run from both CD and USB flash drives, and I don't get any hw errors from the hard drive, either.

- The graphics card is ATI Radeon Mobility X1600, and I get some trashing of images in Firefox with the default F18 Radeon driver. This is really annoying on some web pages where e.g. the buttons on a form are bitmap images that come out garbled, and then I have to guess at the right button to click. Otherwise the card and display were detected correctly and I haven't had to do any manual configuration. The driver and Gnome Shell seem to eat quite a few CPU cycles and the laptop runs hotter than it used to with a non-AIGLX desktop.

- I installed half a dozen extensions to Gnome Shell, after which I kinda like it. I use Alt+Tab, and the default behavior is completely unusable.

- I liked the font size adjustment in gnome-tweak-tool. The display on the laptop is fairly high-density, and a slight general increase in font sizes seemed to do just the right thing.

- The narrow vertical scroll bars are annoying and a usability regression (not new in F18, I guess).

- Almost all of the stuff in gnome-tweak-tool should be available in the default installation, in my not-so-humble opinion.

So there. I'm basically pleased and impressed with F18, but installing the beta was quite painful because of the mystery problem with the kernel. The default Gnome Shell setup is less usable than Gnome 2, but in my case, the extensions can fix this. Installing and configuring them is more complicated than it should be, though.

Last edited by Mikko; 6th December 2012 at 12:42 AM.
Old 6th December 2012, 03:33 PM
Fenrin Offline

linuxepiphany

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikko View Post
[...]The default Gnome Shell setup is less usable than Gnome 2, but in my case, the extensions can fix this. Installing and configuring them is more complicated than it should be, though.
Personally I like the default look of gnome shell. Although I also use some extensions, but these do not alter the behaviour of gnome shell or alt+tab.
Installing extensions via the ON switch in the internet browser is quite easy, but this feature is too hidden. There could be also a option below the system settings to configure and install extensions.
Old 6th December 2012, 03:37 PM
screamin_jesus Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by jff View Post
Nautilus connect to server and some gnome-shell extensions, like places-menu does not work for me.
places menu works fine here.
Old 6th December 2012, 09:59 PM
Mikko Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenrin View Post
Personally I like the default look of gnome shell.
The look, yes. It's the actual usability that I have problems with. The default scroll bars for one thing (of many), do look sleek and all, but they're just too thin and too low-contrast, and therefore harder to see and use than in earlier versions.

My kernel issue seems to have fixed itself somehow. I tried to boot 3.6.7-5.fc18.i686 again, and it did come all the way up. I don't know why. I had run a yum update, but the updated packages didn't seem relevant to the kernel problem. Today's update included a new kernel and a systemd update, and I'm using those now (3.6.9-4.fc18.i686), and they do boot without problems. So I have no idea what the problem was, but it seems to be gone.
Old 6th December 2012, 11:00 PM
ElderSnake Offline

linuxchrome

Indeed some of the OOTB usability is not Gnome 3's strong suit, however for scrollbars etc an alternative GTK3 theme would probably fix that instead of Adwaita (ick).
Old 7th December 2012, 02:26 AM
Mikko Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElderSnake View Post
Indeed some of the OOTB usability is not Gnome 3's strong suit, however for scrollbars etc an alternative GTK3 theme would probably fix that instead of Adwaita (ick).
Wasn't Gnome supposed to be all about sensible defaults? The tool to change the theme is, surprise surprise, not installed by default on Fedora.

I'm not complaining for my own sake. I've used Fedora for as long as it has existed under that name, and Red Hat Linux before that, and I can find my way around, but the "good defaults out of the box" has turned out to be anything but.
Old 7th December 2012, 03:14 AM
christian_l Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
I'm not complaining for my own sake. I've used Fedora for as long as it has existed under that name, and Red Hat Linux before that, and I can find my way around, but the "good defaults out of the box" has turned out to be anything but.
That's what I like about Cinnamon, which I've recently switched over to - it's great out of the box, and things that need an extension in gnome-shell (such as removing the accessibility icon, autohide of the panel, etc.) can be easily tweaked with just a few clicks.
Old 7th December 2012, 06:14 AM
ElderSnake Offline

linuxchrome

Quote:
Wasn't Gnome supposed to be all about sensible defaults? The tool to change the theme is, surprise surprise, not installed by default on Fedora.

Unfortunately what Gnome deem sensible defaults and what we may deem to be so are wildly different things.

I agree with Christian though, if you don't mind installing another DE Cinnamon is well worth a try. It has the modern aspects of Gnome 3 with a proper traditional interface and customization abilities.
Old 8th December 2012, 12:18 AM
tankist02 Offline

windows_7chrome

Liking F18 x86_64 KDE spin here. Everything I use works great.

During installation the part about formatting disk was not as intuitive as before, but I managed.
Old 8th December 2012, 12:24 AM
dd_wizard Online

linuxubuntufirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElderSnake View Post
Unfortunately what Gnome deem sensible defaults and what we may deem to be so are wildly different things.

I agree with Christian though, if you don't mind installing another DE Cinnamon is well worth a try. It has the modern aspects of Gnome 3 with a proper traditional interface and customization abilities.
Is Cinnamon really another DE? All it really does is Gnomes-hell, and it's a very small package compared to a complete DE. The underlying DE is still Gnome 3.

dd_wizard

Last edited by dd_wizard; 8th December 2012 at 12:28 AM.
Old 8th December 2012, 12:59 AM
christian_l Offline

linuxopera

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd_wizard View Post
Is Cinnamon really another DE? All it really does is Gnomes-hell, and it's a very small package compared to a complete DE. The underlying DE is still Gnome 3.

dd_wizard
Yeah, I'm not sure you can call it its own DE... But for me that's just another thing that made it easier to switch over. Some settings stay the same (window theme, fonts, ...), and while there are not that many extensions and themes for Cinnamon yet, its relatedness to gnome-shell makes it possible to convert some of those things from gnome-shell by editing a few files. The file manager Nemo is also nice. I've tried KDE4.9 for a few days, and while I liked the multitude of configuration options there, the learning curve for a new user is definitely much higher.
Old 8th December 2012, 01:18 AM
screamin_jesus Offline

windows_7chrome

Quote:

dd_wizard
cinnamon is just a shell atm. Its comparable to gnome-shell and unity. it does still use gnome for the rest of the DE.
Old 8th December 2012, 01:56 AM
ElderSnake Offline

linuxchrome

Quote:

dd_wizard
Indeed, Gnome 3 is still the underpinnings and Cinnamon is really just a shell. But the difference in experience makes it feel like another entire DE
Old 8th December 2012, 02:04 PM
swashplate Offline

linuxfirefox
Cool Re: Fedora 18 impressions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by christian_l View Post
.... I've tried KDE4.9 for a few days, and while I liked the multitude of configuration options there, the learning curve for a new user is definitely much higher.
I'd agree with that Christian, but IMHO it's worth learning the KDE stuff as you get somewhere.

Bit like Linux itself, really...

Tags
fedora, impressions