Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 8th December 2012, 09:53 AM
frisk.h Offline

macossafari
Software Upgrade 14 -> 15

(Confused by the relation between this forum and users@lists.fedoraproject.org I have posted the same question to both.)

Hi,

I finally decided to upgrade my Fedora 13 using the software upgrade. I made a succesful upgrade to 14, booted it and it worked fine. I then proceeded to do 14 -> 15. Upon reboot all packages were installed but at the very end the installer crashed with a very long message. I saved it but couldn't do much with it. I rebooted but now I get only a back screen. No grub no nothing.

I tried to mount the partitions from another computer but it is as if there is something wrong with the table because I can't see the partitions apart form the swap. Right now I'm making a bootable media to see if I can figure out what went wrong.

Anyone has any ideas what I can do apart from reinstalling the system? I would love it if I didn't have to configure everything all over again.

The hardware is a MacBook Pro 5,2, Intel Core 2 Duo, NVIDIA GeForce 9600M

Thanks for any hints,
/Henrik
Old 8th December 2012, 09:57 AM
glennzo Online
Un-Retired Administrator

linuxfedorafirefox
Re: Software Upgrade 14 -> 15

Moved to EOL (End Of Life) Versions.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Laptop: Toshiba Satellite / Intel Core 2 Duo 1.73 GHz / 2GB / 160GB / Intel Mobile 945GM/GMS/GME/943/940GML Integrated Graphics
Desktop: BioStar MCP6PB M2+ / AMD Phenom 9750 Quad Core / 4GB / 1TB SATA / 500GB SATA / EVGA GeForce 8400 GS 1GB
Old 8th December 2012, 01:43 PM
jpollard Online

linuxfirefox

Unfortunately, you will have to reconfigure (nearly) everything, as systemd doesn't work the same as what you are used to.

One of the things to watch out for is that UID/GID default assignments start at 1000 instead of 500. This is mostly handled when upgrading, but you can still get bit.

F16 works better than F14, though it takes a while to force all the services to work.

If you have a basic workstation, it isn't too bad - but adding VMs, databases, and such gets dicier (things tend not to start properly).

And then there is the Gnome3 nightmare.

---------- Post added at 08:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:33 AM ----------

Generally, the Fedora upgrade cycle is 6 month... though with 18 that got extended due to problems.

Think about the need for RAID, storage required, growth plan, uptime requirements, single/dual power supplies, UPS requirements - both single and dual (dual power supplies should have dual UPS feeding them)...

Some of the things will depend on the physical environment the server will be in.

There are other things to think about too - security requirements, privacy needs, administration restrictions... (the political aspects).
Old 8th December 2012, 07:29 PM
Finalzone Offline
Community Manager

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpollard View Post
And then there is the Gnome3 nightmare
Oh please, just because Gnome Shell appears to be a nightmare for you does not mean the same applies to the original poster. Clearly a matter of preference.

Quote:
Generally, the Fedora upgrade cycle is 6 month... though with 18 that got extended due to problems.
Main problem is the new installer.
Old 8th December 2012, 07:33 PM
jpollard Online

linuxfirefox

That depends.

remember, This is a server which may/may not have much in the way of video.

The way gnome3 has its tentacles into many parts of the boot system and configuration control (especially with NetworkManager problems) it may become very problematical in use.

As for the main problem being the installer... depends on the problem. It still doesn't necessarily boot after being installed.

Tags
&gt, >, software, upgrade