Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 2nd November 2012, 10:41 PM
SlideRule Offline

linuxfirefox
"Make" a driver for a serial port device

Good day!

I wish to install a driver for the SerialGear 8 port serial adapter. I downloaded the latest driver from http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm (1.5.0), and followed the instructions that came with with the driver. When I run MAKE, this is what results:

gcc -Wall -D__KERNEL__ -DMODULE -I/lib/modules/3.6.2-4.fc17.x86_64/build/include -I/usr/src/linux-3.6.2-4.fc17.x86_64/drivers/usb/serial/ -O -c -o ftdi_sio.o ftdi_sio.c
ftdi_sio.c:234:26: fatal error: linux/config.h: No such file or directory
compilation terminated.
make: *** [ftdi_sio.o] Error 1

I'm new to Fedora (and Linux!), so I'm confused. Am I missing a kernel, or some other package?

Thanks!
Old 2nd November 2012, 11:43 PM
jpollard Offline

linuxfirefox
Re: "Make" a driver for a serial port device

You are building a kernel, so you need the kernel headers installed to get the interface definitions of your kernel for the driver. Package name should be "kernel-headers", and should get the definitions for your current kernel.

Tags
device, driver, make, port, serial, serial port