Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 7th October 2012, 05:49 PM
kamleshb Offline

linuxchrome
Some websites not loading completely using pppoe-setup for broadband connection

Hi All,

I have recently installed fedora. I was windows user but I want to learn linux so installed fedora on my machine. Its working nice. I have setup pppoe configuration for Broadband connection. Its working nice. But I am facing weird problem.

Whenever I surf some sites they take much time to load and also they never load completely and site loaded was broken due to lack of css and js. I have never got this issue with windows at all.
Some of the sites which never load completely are facebook.com, linkedin.com, yahoo.com and some more sites. I never got issue while accessing gmail.com, fedora sites and many more sites.

Please let me know what should I do to load these sites completely.
Old 7th October 2012, 10:55 PM
marko Offline

linuxfirefox
Re: Some websites not loading completely using pppoe-setup for broadband connection

pppoe shouldn't have any particular per-website effect, if your pppoe set up is wrong, you just won't connect or be able to use internet at all.

The "slow to load" issue could be Firefox trying IPv6 DNS which probably isn't available on your connection and then failing back to IPv4 DNS. This is fixable by this:

http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showpo...63&postcount=4

otherwise, it could be those few sites needs real java plugin support and you just don't have it installed. The web browser java plugin comes in package icedtea-web
Old 8th October 2012, 10:32 AM
kamleshb Offline

windows_xp_2003chrome
Re: Some websites not loading completely using pppoe-setup for broadband connection

thanks marko for your reply,
I am using chrome and firefox browser. But getting same issue. I will try to do changes as you have suggested and will let u know.

few months ago i had installed ubuntu and it was working fine for all websites. Also if you want to know pppoe config then I will provide.

Thanks once again.
Old 8th October 2012, 03:19 PM
marko Offline

linuxfirefox

Some ISPs internal DNS services are just plain slow, you can try setting up your system to use your own selected DNS, google has one at 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4
REF:
https://developers.google.com/speed/...dns/docs/using

and there's also opendns.org which has DNS at
208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220

REF:
https://store.opendns.com/setup/computer/
Old 13th October 2012, 05:52 AM
kamleshb Offline

linuxchrome

I have successfully configured opendns but still issue persist.
Previously facebook favicon, loading image was not able to load, but now its loading
www.linkedin.com working nicely. Yahoo.com still not loading at all.
Please have look attached screenshot of facebook broken page.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot from 2012-10-13 10:06:07.png
Views:	140
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	23885  
Old 14th October 2012, 07:50 AM
kamleshb Offline

linuxchrome

Finally I have solve the mystery
Now facebook working as needed. I unchecked "Use TCP header compression" under DSL >> PPPSettings
Old 26th May 2014, 01:22 PM
Raafi Offline

linuxfirefox

http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=295542

i have been experiencing the same problems as mentioned in this threads.

Fedora20 wont open up yahoo or facebook, but it will open google and almost every other website
when i say doesnt load, i mean NOTHING, just a white page and the "page loading" going on forever. not even a "timed out" or error message

and it is ONLY on facebook and yahoo.

my wife's windows works fine on the same ISP
it doesnt work on any browser on my fedora (opera, firefox, seamonkey, chrome)

i dont know what to run to see identify the problem

one thing i have noticed, it happens on my verizon mifi, but at home (verizon/frontier) it works fine
but my wife's windows works fine on my verizon mifi

so i am thinking it may be something to do with fedora and verizon mifi (nothing but a guess)

Last edited by Raafi; 26th May 2014 at 01:31 PM.
Old 26th May 2014, 06:34 PM
marko Offline

linuxfirefox

This is a super old thread (2012) but it's still a topic of interest.

You could try going into Firefox's web tools:

Tools -> Web Developer -> Toggle Tools

Then the tools should show at the bottom of the Firefox window, now hit the Network panel (on the right end), press the green gear button to start a performance analysis. At that time try to load the Facebook page and see if the's a problem flagged in the network analysis, like a load that's showing a huge time to load or never loads.

You might also want to try the Console (the panel button on the left), but first go to each sub button like "Net", "CSS", "JS", "Security" and "Logging" and turn down the verbosity a bit by just selecting "Errors". Something bad enough to prevent a page loading at all is probably an Error and not a Warning or Info level issue. Now load facebook and watch the window for errors.

It's not going to solve the problem but could give a hint like show you have a bad ISP DNS (maybe you never get the IP back), in that
case you could try using Google DNS (8.8.8.8) instead of the one the ISP uses.
Old 26th May 2014, 11:43 PM
Raafi Offline

linuxfirefox

thanks marko

i will look into that

Tags
broadband, completely, connection, loading, pppoesetup, websites