Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 19th September 2012, 04:47 AM
DBelton Offline
Administrator

linuxfirefox
Re: Fedora 18 TC1 images are out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBelton View Post
But once I removed the existing partitions, then I could go in and create partitions with no problem.. Well, except one..

I created a 1GB /boot then created a 2GB swap. In the partition list, the /boot disappeared. So, I go back and create a 1GB /boot, then add / and /home. In the partition list, it showed /boot swap / and /home. Nothing about that first /boot I told it to create.. But when it actually created the partitions on the drive, it created that extra partition. I had 2 1GB partitions, one was mounted at /boot and one is unused.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamW View Post
Hum, interesting - again sounds like a bug. Can you reproduce it or does it seem to have been a one time thing?
I just got finished with a fresh install and I couldn't recreate that one. I can't figure out how that one partition got dropped out of the list, and I couldn't get it to happen again.

But I did try adding a partition, then removing it, and that worked fine. No extra partitions when I did that.

Edit:

Ok, a few things I noticed on my fresh F18 Alpha install from the DVD media. This was on bare metal, wiped hard drive, no other OS's on the machine.

I am going to list what I found, even though a lot of them aren't really bugs for an Alpha stage.

1: Options on the keyboard spoke doesn't work
2: I could configure the network for the install only. Anaconda still does not write the /etc/sysconfig/network and /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-* files. This left me with no usable network connection upon reboot.
3: On the date/time spoke, can't set to use network time
4: On the packages spoke, no graphical internet package group. Thus no web browser at all was installed
5: /etc/sysconfig/i18n file not created.
6: No way during install or firstboot to configure that system clock is set to UTC. It sets it to be LOCAL.

7: Custom disk partitioning is very flaky and real easy to cancel the entire install just by one wrong click. If you are very careful with what you do, it does work. (I still had issues with trying to use the same partitions over. It still cancelled with a previously partitioned disk, which was resolved when I wiped the drive and started over.

Last edited by DBelton; 19th September 2012 at 04:58 AM.
Old 19th September 2012, 02:18 PM
gloc33

linuxubuntufirefox

My first opinion on F18 alpha :
- good desktop experience, GNOME is getting more and more pleasant to use on Fedora,
- the revamped installer gives is very pretty,
- the installation went fine on a VM with automatic partition layout,

With LiveUSB, F18 boots fine on my Latitude E6420 but I could not get the installer to do what I wanted. I have LVM configured on my hdd with a logicial volume for each distribution I install. I had trouble setting my partition layout manually, which is a /home and swap on existing LVs and /root on a new LV.

With former versions of Anaconda, the partion selector displayed a simple list of the different partitions (/dev/sda1,2,3...) and LVs (/dev/mapper/lvroot1, lvhome, lvswap...) and one could just selection them and assign a mount point. With the new selector, one gets a "Detect Automatically" option on top, and then some weirdly named nested lists.
Old 19th September 2012, 02:39 PM
nonamedotc Offline
Community Manager

linuxfedorafirefox

Some additional observations (I think)

When I chose XFCE installation, web browser was not installed at all! (This was the reason behind my yum/dnf install firefox post earlier.) Is GNOME supposed to use epiphany in Fedora? (I thought I saw that somewhere - Not sure - I could be wrong!)

I saw each one of the items you have pointed out on a Virtual Machine. However, the network connection works fine in a VM without the configuration files. I thought it was not supposed to work! Not sure.

As for the i18n, I tried installing in languages other than English (German and Arabic - I speak neither ) to check if the file is created if the installation is not in english. No luck there ..
Old 19th September 2012, 04:14 PM
DBelton Offline
Administrator

linuxfirefox

From what it appears, without the /etc/sysconfig/network and /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-* files, There is not a network configured. However, IF you have a DHCP server someplace on your network, then NetworkManager can automatically configure you a connection when you boot.

However, I don't have a DHCP server, all connections use a static network address, so I had no network (even though I configured one in Anaconda, it just didn't write the config out)

I also ran into another potentially bad glitch. I am currently going back and looking into it more so I can file a bug if it is actually what I think it is..

I Have 2 disk drives, filesystems are ext4 created on F17. I had a unclean shutdown (hard lockup and had to kill the power) so when F18 booted it did like it was supposed to and check the filesystems (I had those marked to check in my /etc/fstab)

Well, it checks the ones created by F18 fine. (/boot, /, and /home) but on the ones created in F17 it just hung the boot, then spewed out a lot of dependency errors for services and asked me to sign into the emergency shell to fix the problems. However, I could not sign in, due to all of the errors in the services, it was unable to verify the root password. (I need to grab the log from all of that to file as another bug, too)

When I couldn't boot, I shutdown, and switched back over to my F17 boot drive, and everything boots fine, blah.. blah.

Run a manual filesystem check on the drives, it works fine... Boot back into F18 (after editing my/etc/fstab to have it not check those drives) and manually run a filesystem check and it spews out errors..

Bad superblock.. On both drives..

These drives check fine in F17.. no problems accessing the drives when mounted in F17.. but in F18, they get invalid superblock messages, and hang the system when I try to mount.

This could be a really bad glitch if F18 won't check filesystems created by F17.
Old 19th September 2012, 05:39 PM
smr54 Offline

linuxfirefox

According to the bugzilla reply, the network issue should be fixed by beta.
Old 19th September 2012, 07:33 PM
lutor Offline

linuxfirefox

hello
I installed F 18 today tried to enter a site firefox radio. asked me to install a plugin and when I tried to install it this message appeared: Unable to read the interface '/ usr / share / totem / mozilla-viewer.ui'. Invalid object type `TotemGlowButton
Old 19th September 2012, 10:32 PM
DBelton Offline
Administrator

linuxfirefox

I don't know about anyone else, but I have had nothing but problems with the totem mozilla plugins.

I finally just completely removed them from my machines. I don't even have totem installed on my F18 machine, and probably not going to have it installed.
Old 20th September 2012, 05:29 AM
AdamW Offline
Fedora QA Community Monkey

linuxfirefox

Yeah, I'm not a fan of the totem-mozilla stuff either.

On your laundry list from earlier, dbelton:

1. I'm pretty sure I've seen this one reported already, along with the timezone stuff not working right either
2. We have a bug report for this one, right?
3. This one's fixed already post-Alpha, I think, I checked a build with 18.8 earlier and it looked ok
4. The package groups for Alpha are pretty messed up. I should commonbugs that, actually. How it was designed to work for Alpha is that there are 'conditional groups' that show up in the right hand list depending on your pick in the left hand list. So if you pick GNOME in the left hand list, some extra package groups for GNOME appear in the right hand list - there are three of them, IIRC, one with the media stuff in, one with evolution and office apps and stuff, and then another group for Firefox. Now personally, I'm not a huge fan of this design, but I'm already talking that over with Bill. What's worse is that in Alpha it doesn't work - the 'conditional' groups just never show up. We did in fact find the issue and fix it before the Alpha release, but the fix was in yum and we didn't want to pull a new yum build through the freeze late in case it broke something else and we had to slip again. So we just left it. So the issue isn't really that the 'graphical internet' group isn't present - that's intended - but that the package group rework just isn't really done, and isn't entirely working even as it was supposed to be right now, in Alpha. This explains pretty much all the package group gripes in this thread.
5. Not sure about that one, check for a bug report
6. Same issue as 3, I believe.
7. Yup. Yup it is. The main issue here is this one: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Commo...error-handling . There's basically no error handling code in anaconda in Alpha. Any time you do something 'wrong', that anaconda knows is wrong and catches as an error, instead of anaconda handling it properly - popping up a dialog to tell you you did something wrong, and giving you a chance to correct it - anaconda will just crash instead. This is the main reason custom partitioning is so...crash-y. For Beta the error handling code will be done, so this'll be much better.
http://www.happyassassin.net
Old 20th September 2012, 05:54 AM
DBelton Offline
Administrator

linuxfirefox

Hey Adam,

I have been running into a weird bug with F18, and wondering if someone else has been having an issue.

It appears that F18 (fully updated) is having issues mounting filesystems on boot if they are mounted in /etc/fstab with the LABEL=

Not only does it not mount them, but then I get a crap load of dependency fail messages, and can't even sign into the emergency shell.

I haven't been able to get any error logs, either, since it appears that the service that writes the logs out is one that crashed with dependency errors.

It seems like every service takes a dive and spews dependency fail messages and the system can't do anything.

The identical lines in /etc/fstab work fine in F17, I can even comment the lines out, boot up, then uncomment the lines and run a mount -a and they work fine. It's only during boot they fail and the system can't boot.

Edit:

Here is one of the lines in /etc/fstab that is causing the boot to spew all over the place:

Code:
LABEL=Drive\040J	/mnt/Drive_J	ext4	defaults,noatime		0	2
I wonder if systemd might be having issues with the space in the label?

Anther edit:

Yes, there is a bug report filed (filed for RC2) on it not creating the /etc/sysconfig/network and /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-* files. I beleive they said it was fixed in master, whatever that means.

The system clock (Local/UTC) configuration, there was a bug filed on it as well, and they stated it was intentionally taken out. How is anyone going to configure how their system clock is set? It's a simple matter to edit /etc/adjtime after the install, but a lot of people don't know about that.

I can't seem to find any bug report about /etc/sysconfig/i18n not being created. I'll see about filing one and find out what they say about it. Maybe they will tell me if it's actually being used or not.

And I believe the reasons for the graphical internet package group disappearing are pretty good ones, splitting it up like that does make a lot of sense if they aren't going to put back in the customization options. It would have been nice to have the fix in the alpha so it could get more testing, though.

Last edited by DBelton; 20th September 2012 at 06:12 AM.
Old 21st September 2012, 05:03 AM
DBelton Offline
Administrator

linuxfirefox

Ok, in reference to my post above.

Yes, it does appear that systemd has issues with mounting using the LABEL= in /etc/fstab. I changed it to use the UUID instead and system boots normally.

I can boot without mounting the filesystems at all, then add the lines back in, using the LABEL= and mount -a mounts them fine.

So, it does appear to be a nasty bug, since it dumps you to a prompt where you can't even sign in as root.

Bug filed on this one if you want to go and see more info, including some screen shots of what happens

https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=859297
Old 22nd September 2012, 06:26 PM
nonamedotc Offline
Community Manager

linuxfedorafirefox

I am not sure if anyone mentioned this already here.

Protected wireless cannot be enabled during installation in the new anaconda as of F18 alpha. This is a bug that is already reported (https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=855526) - I just saw this when I came around to finally install it using wireless.

Next, I was installing F18 along with CentOS. When I created the partitions, they do NOT show up. I see all the centos partitions and a "unformatted" partition which I had just partitioned. But, the changes are reflected in the bottom left corner labels which show the size of the available partitions.

However, if I exit the disk partitioning and re-enter the spoke, I can see all the created partitions for installing F18. Now, none of the CentOS partitions are visible! It could turn out to be very confusing!
Old 22nd September 2012, 06:45 PM
DBelton Offline
Administrator

linuxfirefox

What is going to be even more interesting is watching the development process and how they are going to widely test changes to anaconda until the beta release.

I get this feeling that beta is going to pushed back a few times and then they will cave in once again and relax the criteria after the developers cry out that it's unfair to hold anaconda to those standards.. Then the same thing will happen again on the final..

Oh.. my issue above with the filesystems not mounting on boot if using the LABEL= in /etc/fstab appears to be fixed in the systemd update to version 191-2
Old 22nd September 2012, 06:54 PM
nonamedotc Offline
Community Manager

linuxfedorafirefox

Connecting to WPA2-Enterprise wireless networks is proving to be a pain in the neck! Network setttings on GNOME are proving to be impossible to deal with. Every single setting is hidden under layers of thick blanket! piece of crap! I will file a bug report when I figure out how to connect to wireless!

DBelton, I saw your comment on the bug report about systemd. Hopefully, the update does not break anything.
Old 22nd September 2012, 07:06 PM
DBelton Offline
Administrator

linuxfirefox

I haven't looked into the WPA2 issue since I don't run any type of wireless here. I have physically disabled any wireless networking in every device I have so it can't even be enabled. (Most don't even have antennas any more and some even have clipped leads on the chips. )

But, I know exactly what you are referring to the network settings being impossible to deal with. the fact that anaconda didn't create the /etc/sysconfig/network and /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-* files may be making things harder as well. I went in and manually created those files on my system here and network manager picked them up and used them.

Maybe you could grab the files off of your F17 install and see if they help things.
Old 23rd September 2012, 02:03 AM
nonamedotc Offline
Community Manager

linuxfedorafirefox

I guess I will have to do that. Right now, I am updating using my wired connection. Will go home and copy the ifcfg* files from F17 and try! Sigh! Let me file the bug report (or search for one) for wireless first!

---------- Post added at 08:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:39 PM ----------

Well, in my search, I did not find any wireless connection bug and so I have filed one - https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=859664.

Hope it's not a duplicate!

Tags
fedora, images, tc1