Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 21st September 2012, 09:38 AM
rgasch Offline

linuxchrome
F17: vim: Different syntax colors for root and regular user

Hi,

on a new F17 install, vim is using different syntax highlighting colors for root and for normal users. The root is dark (comments are such a dark blue that they almost can't be read against a black background), while regular uses have a colorscheme where (for example) comments are nice and bright.

What can cause this and how can I make root use the same colorscheme which regular users get.

Greetings/Thanks
R
Old 23rd October 2012, 02:22 PM
rgasch Offline

linuxchrome
Re: F17: vim: Different syntax colors for root and regular user

I will answer my own question for the benefit of others who struggle with this same issue.

It turns out that the normal (non-root) user had the environment variable "COLORFGBG" set to the value "15;0" while the root user didn't have this variable set.

Adding a
export COLORFGBG="15;0"
to /etc/profile solved the problem.

Greetings
R

Tags
colors, f17, regular, root, syntax, user, vim

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies