Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 15th September 2012, 02:19 AM
WCS99no1 Offline

linuxfirefox
Cannot Get Oracle VM to run

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to set up an Oracle VM on my Fedora Core 16 computer. When it try to execute the Windows virtual machine I get a pop-up telling me to run '/etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup' (attached). When I go in the terminal and run it I gett this output:

[root@localhost joel]# /etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup
Stopping VirtualBox kernel modules [ OK ]
Uninstalling old VirtualBox DKMS kernel modules [ OK ]
Trying to register the VirtualBox kernel modules using DKMSError! echo
Your kernel headers for kernel 3.4.9-2.fc16.i686.PAE cannot be found at
/lib/modules/3.4.9-2.fc16.i686.PAE/build or /lib/modules/3.4.9-2.fc16.i686.PAE/source.
[FAILED]
(Failed, trying without DKMS)
Recompiling VirtualBox kernel modules [FAILED]
(Look at /var/log/vbox-install.log to find out what went wrong)

How do I fix this error? I have not been able to find anything online that would help.

Thanks,
Joel
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot at 2012-09-14 21:16:21.png
Views:	449
Size:	34.0 KB
ID:	23752  
Old 15th September 2012, 02:35 AM
gurutech Offline

windows_7firefox
Re: Cannot Get Oracle VM to run

You need to reboot the machine so the current kernel boots up, then run the Oracle VM install again, then do that vbox setup again.

I had the same exact problem last week on F17.
Old 15th September 2012, 02:47 AM
Seve Offline
Retired Community Manager

linuxfirefox

Do what it tells you.

PHP Code:
# yum -y install dkms && reboot 
Then you should be good to go.
Registered Linux User: #384977
.................................................. ............
See the Links below for more Help and those much wanted extras ... :)
Old 15th September 2012, 02:53 AM
smr54 Online

linuxchrome

Also, you need the kernel-devel package, and it has to match your kernel. This one can be tricky when you have a PAE kernel, you will have to do yum install kernel-PAE-devel (or possibly kernel-pae-devel, I've forgotten which.

This package has to match your kernel. So, if you have kernel 3.5.1 running, but have run yum update, which has pulled in kernel 3.5.2, then you get kernel-devel (or kernel-pae-devel), it will pull in the latest, 3.5.2 Then you will have the error for the reason gurutech mentions, that you have to reboot your machine. In other words, after installing kernel-pae-devel make sure the version number matches the kernel. You can find that by running uname -r. If the uname -r result is a lower number than the kernel-devel package you got, then reboot
Old 17th September 2012, 04:30 AM
Flailios Offline

linuxfirefox

I came to this thread while googling an answer to "when does virtual box for kernel-PAE-3.4.9-2.fc16.i686 get release".

To me it looks like a kmod-VirtualBox has not been released for Kernel PAE-3.4.9-2 yet. While doing an install of Virtual Box, I got the following...

*****SNIP*****
--> Processing Dependency: kernel-uname-r = 3.4.9-1.fc16.i686 for package: kmod-VirtualBox-3.4.9-1.fc16.i686-4.1.18-1.fc16.4.i686
--> Finished Dependency Resolution
Error: Package: kmod-VirtualBox-3.4.9-1.fc16.i686-4.1.18-1.fc16.4.i686 (rpmfusion-free-updates)
Requires: kernel-uname-r = 3.4.9-1.fc16.i686
Installed: kernel-PAE-3.4.9-2.fc16.i686 (@updates)

*****SNIP*****
$ uname -r
3.4.9-2.fc16.i686.PAE

Resolution: a) Wait or... b) Change default kernet in grub.conf to PAE-3.4.9-1 until the release of kmod-VirtualBox-3.4.9-2.fc16.i686-4.1.18-1.fc16.4.i686

Disclaimer: This is just what it appears to be from where I am sitting, and looking at this issue for all of 3 seconds.

---------- Post added at 01:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:27 PM ----------

...Just for reference & historical purposes. The following is a link to a walk through I used to replicate the issue.

http://www.if-not-true-then-false.co...-red-hat-rhel/
Old 17th September 2012, 05:29 AM
cazo Offline

linuxchrome

I believe you also need to install the kernel-devel & kernel-headers packages (that match your kernel version).
Old 17th September 2012, 04:57 PM
WCS99no1 Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by smr54 View Post
Also, you need the kernel-devel package, and it has to match your kernel. This one can be tricky when you have a PAE kernel, you will have to do yum install kernel-PAE-devel (or possibly kernel-pae-devel, I've forgotten which.

This package has to match your kernel. So, if you have kernel 3.5.1 running, but have run yum update, which has pulled in kernel 3.5.2, then you get kernel-devel (or kernel-pae-devel), it will pull in the latest, 3.5.2 Then you will have the error for the reason gurutech mentions, that you have to reboot your machine. In other words, after installing kernel-pae-devel make sure the version number matches the kernel. You can find that by running uname -r. If the uname -r result is a lower number than the kernel-devel package you got, then reboot
This worked! Thank you.

So I got it to intall and run to the point where it actually loads the virtual machine but then I get this error message:

FATAL: No bootable medium found.

Do I need a Windows XP disk to install Windows XP on my virtual machine?

Thanks,
Joel
Old 17th September 2012, 06:31 PM
DBelton Offline
Administrator

linuxfirefox

Yes, you have to have the install media for whatever OS you wish to run on your virtual machine.

I don't believe that they have written into virtualbox the ability to create Windows out of thin air yet.
Old 24th September 2012, 03:39 AM
Flailios Offline

linuxfirefox

It turns out I was right about my issue, and more than likely your issue as well with the unavailability of kmod-VirtualBox-3.4.9-2.fc16.i686.PAE-4.1.20-1.fc16.i686 for kernel-PAE-3.4.9-2.fc16, which was the kernel version you stated in the first post.

Since my last post kmod-VirtualBox-3.4.9-2 has been released. I just did a yum update this morning, re-ran my VirtualBox install and the conflict is gone.

I am going to keep my fingers crossed when I reboot the machine & run kernel kernel-PAE-3.4.11-1.fc16.i686, which was also just released.

Conclusion: Keep an eye out for kernel versions, kernel update release versions and kmod-VirtualBox versions. Check the versions, and if a discrepency comes to light, manually select your older kernel version until the next compatible kmod-VirtualBox version.

---------- Post added at 12:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:09 PM ----------

Confirmed: VirtualBox will work on PAE kernels up to version kernel-PAE-3.4.9-2.fc16.i686 as of the date on this post. Gotta wait for kmod-VirtualBox-3.4.11-1.fc16.i686.PAE-#.#.#-#.fc16.i686 for compatibility with the latest Fedora 16 PAE kernel.

I hope this helps someone trying to run VirtualBox on an FC16 box with bleedy-edgy kernels.

Tags
dkms, oracle, run, virtual machine