Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
  #1  
Old 9th September 2012, 09:06 PM
R3v0lut10nary Offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 416
linuxfirefox
Kde & xfce

I've been playing around with both of these lately, tweaking them to look fairly similar.

My setup in both DE's has evolved into what amounts to a classic gnome 2 layout.


And now I've noticed an evolution into a slight preference for XFCE over KDE. And it's not because of performance. My computer has plenty of horsepower, so KDE doesn't slow it down at all. For practical purpose they're about the same speed when handling common tasks.

I admit XFCE's not quite as integrated yet and some of the customizations require a little more work. It's still missing some minor stock features that KDE does have.

Anyone else agree..... or am I just crazy?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 9th September 2012, 10:07 PM
MauserM98 Offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Norway
Posts: 134
I agree. (on the crazy part) hihi. Just kidding. In my old computers I experience kde as more than fast enough. It's only a little slower on booting.
Xfce is just plain ugly. Even uglier than gnome 2 in its basic setup.

Sent from my HTC Incredible S using Tapatalk 2
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 9th September 2012, 11:47 PM
ozjd Online
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Sydney Australia
Age: 59
Posts: 2,390
linuxchrome
Re: Kde & xfce

I use both too but prefer Xfce most of the time. It is more stable. KDE often has strange little glitches that are difficult to track down as they are inconsistent. Xfce just works.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10th September 2012, 12:12 AM
ElderSnake Offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Australia
Posts: 820
linuxchrome
Re: Kde & xfce

I like both but I have to say since version 4.9, KDE has been absolutely rock solid. Seriously not a crash or oddity in sight, which is refreshing.
__________________
OS': Arch Linux (Xfce + Kwin) - Debian Testing (Xfce) - Fedora 21
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10th September 2012, 04:41 AM
ozjd Online
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Sydney Australia
Age: 59
Posts: 2,390
linuxchrome
Re: Kde & xfce

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElderSnake View Post
I like both but I have to say since version 4.9, KDE has been absolutely rock solid. Seriously not a crash or oddity in sight, which is refreshing.
I would have agree that 4.9 is the best version I've used so far but it still isn't as stable as Xfce.

I think KDE could learn from Xfce and not put out so many updates. Seriously a new version each month with a major update about twice a year isn't needed. They would be better to slow down the updates and get them right. OK maybe a bit more often than Xfce's once a year (if we are lucky) would be nice.

As the OP said KDE is much easier to configure and I think has more options. Xfce requires some work with config files etc. which means it isn't easy for the inexperienced to customise.

Last edited by ozjd; 10th September 2012 at 04:43 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10th September 2012, 06:43 AM
ah7013 Offline
Registered "Cashew" User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Adelaide, Australia
Age: 20
Posts: 671
linuxfirefox
Re: Kde & xfce

I like both, but prefer KDE. Probably because it has been my primary DE for a while now (switched from Gnome2) so I know it well and I like it's features, appearance and customisation. XFCE would be my second favourite though.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11th September 2012, 12:30 AM
R3v0lut10nary Offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 416
linuxfirefox
Re: Kde & xfce

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozjd View Post
I think KDE could learn from Xfce and not put out so many updates. Seriously a new version each month with a major update about twice a year isn't needed. They would be better to slow down the updates and get them right. OK maybe a bit more often than Xfce's once a year (if we are lucky) would be nice.
Definitely. Maybe quarterly or something. I don't like the fact that firefox does monthly versions either.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11th September 2012, 01:05 AM
ozjd Online
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Sydney Australia
Age: 59
Posts: 2,390
linuxchrome
Re: Kde & xfce

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3v0lut10nary View Post
Definitely. Maybe quarterly or something. I don't like the fact that firefox does monthly versions either.
Chrome beta does weekly updates.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11th September 2012, 04:23 AM
flyingfsck Offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Al Ain, UAE
Posts: 1,946
linuxfirefox
Re: Kde & xfce

Well, nobody is forcing you to apply weekly updates. I never update my computers. I rather re-install from scratch once a year and leave well alone the rest of the time. The stability is blissful.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11th September 2012, 04:29 AM
ozjd Online
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Sydney Australia
Age: 59
Posts: 2,390
linuxchrome
Re: Kde & xfce

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingfsck View Post
Well, nobody is forcing you to apply weekly updates. I never update my computers. I rather re-install from scratch once a year and leave well alone the rest of the time. The stability is blissful.
Yes, you are correct. It is up to the user to control things like that.

We have really drifted off topic haven't we?
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 11th September 2012, 07:42 AM
flyingfsck Offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Al Ain, UAE
Posts: 1,946
linuxfirefox
Re: Kde & xfce

I actually tried KDE on F16 and found it significantly slower than XFCE on my Thinkpad and XFCE tends to fail to launch its window manager, requiring me to launch it manually, so I settled on LXDE. Oh, well, what the hell...
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 11th September 2012, 09:17 AM
stevea Offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Ohio, USA
Posts: 9,041
linuxfirefox
Re: Kde & xfce

Getting the system to start xfce should be a matter of selecting it from the loin screen (gdm).


There is a problem with xfce failing to restart the wm. The hack-fix is ... rm -rf ~/.cache/sessions
This *seems* to happen when xfce traps some odd running app as something to restart at login - and then either it fails, or the sessions log is corrupted. It *seems* to be related to some garbage' gnome processes that remain running after logout (yeah really). This may in turn be related to some of the truly nasty stuff that resides in /etc/xgd/autostart and is not all properly sorted out by desktop..

Also there is some odd interaction between lxde & xfce in the ~/.config directory.

By the time I stopped trying gnome and got rid of gdm the xfce start problem disappeared. Haven't seen it in months. So I am dis-inclined to blame xfce.
__________________
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 11th September 2012, 02:33 PM
StephenH Offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Wake Forest, NC
Age: 61
Posts: 1,390
linuxfirefox
Re: Kde & xfce

You might also want to install and run switchdesk (see man switchdesk) to change the primary desktop manager from gnome to xfce (boot to command prompt, log in both as root and execute there and then log out and log in as your regular user and run it there also. That way, if you boot to a command prompt and execute "startx" and it won't throw an error. That is the way I did it. Others might suggest a better way.

I also am using lxdm without problem. I ditched gdm when I dumped gnome (except for the parts needed for some utilities that I wanted to run), and I find xfce to be very stable. I also set up the repository for xfce 4.10 and upgraded to that. It has definite advantages over the standard xfce 4.8 that is in the regular repositories.
( see http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=279277 )

I've done this on the netbook I am using to write this and on my desktop system. I did not want to wait for F18 to get Xfce 4.10.
__________________
StephenH

"We must understand the reality that just because our culture claims certain things are true it does not mean they are!" --M. Liederbach

http://pilgrim-wanderings.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 11th September 2012, 11:22 PM
ElderSnake Offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Australia
Posts: 820
linuxchrome
Re: Kde & xfce

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozjd View Post
I would have agree that 4.9 is the best version I've used so far but it still isn't as stable as Xfce.

I think KDE could learn from Xfce and not put out so many updates. Seriously a new version each month with a major update about twice a year isn't needed. They would be better to slow down the updates and get them right. OK maybe a bit more often than Xfce's once a year (if we are lucky) would be nice.

As the OP said KDE is much easier to configure and I think has more options. Xfce requires some work with config files etc. which means it isn't easy for the inexperienced to customise.
I guess YMMV and all that. Personally KDE 4.9 on my hardware has been incredibly stable and consistent, even through days and days uptime and constant usage. Which is phenomenal compared to my previous experiences.

It has to be said though I don't use many Plasma widgets. I do use them, I mean I have a fairly fully featured panel with widgets like icon-tasks, media player controls, weather etc but I don't litter my desktop with a heap of widgets, which probably helps things.
__________________
OS': Arch Linux (Xfce + Kwin) - Debian Testing (Xfce) - Fedora 21
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 11th September 2012, 11:46 PM
ozjd Online
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Sydney Australia
Age: 59
Posts: 2,390
linuxchrome
Re: Kde & xfce

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElderSnake View Post
I guess YMMV and all that. Personally KDE 4.9 on my hardware has been incredibly stable and consistent, even through days and days uptime and constant usage. Which is phenomenal compared to my previous experiences.

It has to be said though I don't use many Plasma widgets. I do use them, I mean I have a fairly fully featured panel with widgets like icon-tasks, media player controls, weather etc but I don't litter my desktop with a heap of widgets, which probably helps things.
I have no desktop widgets these days which, as you say, may be one of the reasons it runs reasonably well. My panel is left almost as the default, no additional widgets added there either. Turning off Nepomuk helps performance too.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fedora 10 xfce xfce menu not working well xroox Hardware & Laptops 1 1st June 2009 06:47 AM
Test Day tomorrow - Xfce! Come along, Xfce fans. AdamW News 1 19th March 2009 04:08 AM
Xfce mathan Installation, Upgrades and Live Media 3 31st May 2008 11:35 PM
Xfce and Yum fossiili Using Fedora 2 8th April 2007 06:10 AM
Xfce 4.2 vini_bill Using Fedora 0 24th August 2005 02:12 AM


Current GMT-time: 21:34 (Sunday, 21-12-2014)

TopSubscribe to XML RSS for all Threads in all ForumsFedoraForumDotOrg Archive
logo

All trademarks, and forum posts in this site are property of their respective owner(s).
FedoraForum.org is privately owned and is not directly sponsored by the Fedora Project or Red Hat, Inc.

Privacy Policy | Term of Use | Posting Guidelines | Archive | Contact Us | Founding Members

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2012, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

FedoraForum is Powered by RedHat
...Sir Rocco Beach Ibiza Photos on Instagram - Mt. Ellinor Travel Photos - Paihuano