Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 31st August 2012, 11:42 PM
andveg38 Offline

windows_xp_2003unknown
Spideroak Backup

Hello, I'm pretty new to Linux and I've settled with Fedora over the last few months. Now that I've determined my distro, I'd like to get everything backed-up. I decided I like Spideroak over several others.

I would like to fully backup my systems so that upon a new install, I'd be able to get my settings back for programs and services. I have my "/home" folder backed up and now the "/etc" folder. Is there anything else I need to check off to backup?

Also, some of the folders are greyed out. Is there a way to undo that and allow them to be checked off? Do I need to run the program as root? If so, how? I know how to do it in the terminal but not for a gui app.

Thanks for your help, this seems like a very helpful community.
Old 1st September 2012, 12:37 AM
Penguinclaw Offline

linuxfirefox
Re: Spideroak Backup

Not personally used your choice of backup but I like "luckybackup" which imho is a great gui app. You can run either as user or superuser to backup what you like and it's really quite intuitive. Also it supports incremental backup, thus really speeding up your backups once you've run it ffor the first time. It's available in the repos if you're interested. Also will backup to ntfs if that is important.
Old 1st September 2012, 12:51 AM
nonamedotc Offline
Community Manager

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by andveg38 View Post
Hello, I'm pretty new to Linux and I've settled with Fedora over the last few months. Now that I've determined my distro, I'd like to get everything backed-up. I decided I like Spideroak over several others.

I would like to fully backup my systems so that upon a new install, I'd be able to get my settings back for programs and services. I have my "/home" folder backed up and now the "/etc" folder. Is there anything else I need to check off to backup?

Also, some of the folders are greyed out. Is there a way to undo that and allow them to be checked off? Do I need to run the program as root? If so, how? I know how to do it in the terminal but not for a gui app.

Thanks for your help, this seems like a very helpful community.
Great choice for backup in my opinion. SpiderOak has been acting very good for me over the last few months I have been using it. As for the greyed out items, based on my experience the only folders greyed should be /bin, /sbin, /lib and /lib64. They will be disabled regardless of whether you launch spideroak as root or as regular user.

I have accidentally launched the spideroak from the terminal using 'SpiderOak' as root. It works, goes through the whole setup - no problems there.

Cheers.
Old 1st September 2012, 01:07 AM
andveg38 Offline

linuxchrome

Thanks but I chose to go with a cloud backup and I already have paid for it.

nonamedotc, what all do you backup?
Old 1st September 2012, 01:14 AM
nonamedotc Offline
Community Manager

linuxfedorafirefox

Me? I only backup my Documents folder. (I use the 2GB free account).

I have my encrypted hard drives for backing up my entire home folder and data from my experiments. I do not backup any system files since I reinstall every six months anyway (new Fedora installs).

Tags
backup, spideroak