Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center

Go Back   FedoraForum.org > Fedora 19/20 > Security and Privacy
FedoraForum Search

Forgot Password? Join Us!

Security and Privacy Sadly, malware, spyware, hackers and privacy threats abound in today's world. Let's be paranoid and secure our penguins, and slam the doors on privacy exploits.

Old 26th August 2012, 03:01 AM
paulywauly Offline

linuxfirefox
Multi layer

Im using fed 18 on i686 yeah never got used to running around in xll with security anyway heres what im wondering

I of course have root and then next step down user account with some privlidges then have end user account with very few privlidges
i did however notice that su can be used from this last account where i dont want su to be able to be gotten into how do i shut it off ??.

also is it safe to assume that sudo is a good beit to use in my first step down account after root??

I pretty much use the first step down account to do updates and add software I dont use it for web browsing or anything else also with all ports closed in the firewall.
Old 26th August 2012, 03:56 AM
DBelton Offline
Administrator

linuxfirefox
Re: Multi layer

well, the user using su would still have to know the root password to be able to use it. Users using sudo need to know their user password, not root, but they have to be added to the /etc/sudoers files to be able to use sudo.

It all depends on what you want.

If you are the only one using the system, then your better bet would be using su, since you pretty much already know the root password anyway. If other users have access, then you can give them access with sudo to do limited things, but without the need to provide them with root password which would give them unlimited access.
Old 28th August 2012, 01:41 PM
Super Jamie

linuxfirefox

If I read this right, you want to disable the su command altogether?

look in /etc/pam.d/su

read man pam_deny
Old 30th August 2012, 08:20 AM
WhizzMan Offline

linuxfirefox

Alternatively, you could use the group "wheel" and set the su permission 4750 for user root, group wheel. Put users that are allowed to use su in group wheel and you'd have achieved your goal. This is quite a common way to do it, actually.
Old 8th September 2012, 04:44 PM
paulywauly Offline

linuxfirefox

ty thats exactly what i was looking for!!

also could i build a fakeroot environment from this user??
Old 9th September 2012, 06:29 PM
paulywauly Offline

linuxfirefox

hmmm seems i tried using fake root with wireshark and it wont allow me to use it

Tags
layer, multi