Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 22nd August 2012, 12:05 AM
khamil8686 Offline

linuxfirefox
Exclamation Minimal Install of Fedora 17, screen blank after "Loading initial ramdisk..."

I ordered a 2700l2dmxpc book-sized computer with a dual core atom processor and Intel GMA 3650 graphics.I intend this to be a lightweight webserver and home networking toy. I installed a minimal install from usb media with the f17 dvd image on it. The graphics display fine during install, upon reboot, it displays "Loading Initial Ramdisk" and the screen blacks out.

I tried installing the desktop version of f17, which installs fine and does not black out upon reboot. I'm not sure I want to go the route of installing the desktop version of f17 and just booting into run level 3, wouldn't there be extra processes going on behind the scenes wasting cpu power that i wouldn't want?

adding the nomodeset parameter to the grub2 kernel line makes no difference

running lsmod shows the gma500gfx module loaded for video when i boot into the desktop live media, however this module is also loaded after the minimal install (verified by ssh) to handle graphics but isn't doing it's job for some reason.

I figured out a workaround by booting the install with an option to enable sshd so after install i could ssh into the box. i actually had to ssh into the box at the reboot your computer screen of the install and configure sshd to start up.

i'm not sure where to look next. i do have the workaround but would prefer to not resort to ssh if i had some issue occur. any help is greatly appreciated! i have attached the output of dmesg and lsmod if they will be of help to anyone. thank you!
Attached Files
File Type: txt live_dmesg.txt (57.0 KB, 122 views)
File Type: txt live_lsmod.txt (1.4 KB, 101 views)

Last edited by khamil8686; 22nd August 2012 at 12:20 AM. Reason: added something i tried
Old 22nd August 2012, 03:25 AM
stevea Offline

linuxfirefox
Re: Minimal Install of Fedora 17, screen blank after "Loading initial ramdisk..."

Not sure how much I can help.
gma500_gfx is the driver for that part. It is installed and loaded successfully in your files.
Since this is a very new driver you should probably try updating the kernel and X11 and rebooting.
Old 22nd August 2012, 03:30 PM
khamil8686 Offline

linuxfirefox
Re: Minimal Install of Fedora 17, screen blank after "Loading initial ramdisk..."

never really considered doing yum update, thinking through all the complex options that it passed me by! ill try it and see if it helps thank you

---------- Post added 22nd August 2012 at 08:30 AM ---------- Previous post was 21st August 2012 at 08:41 PM ----------

just went ahead and installed desktop fedora and set it to start at runlevel 3, will see how it works
Old 23rd August 2012, 10:39 AM
finite9 Offline

windows_7firefox

I got same issue. I used F17 DVD iso from usb stick to install F17, which worked fine. Then on first reboot, got blank screen after loading initial ramdisk.

As I had chosen to encrypt the installation, I guessed that it was stuck at a passphrase prompt, but wasn't showing it, and right enough, I entered the encryption passphrase, and after severl moments, it booted into the desktop. Unfortunately for me, the resolution is all wrong, but that's another issue.

HTH.

Tags
blank, fedora, install, loading initial ramdisk, minimal, screen