Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 21st August 2012, 03:16 PM
melal Offline

linuxubuntufirefox
Re: SSH Into Fedora Fails

OK, once again.

To be able to copy your public key to ssh-server from ssh-client using ssh-copy-id utility, enable temporarily password authentification, uncomment if commented line and change it to "yes" in file /etc/ssh/sshd_config at ssh-server:

Code:
PasswordAuthentication yes
systemctl restart sshd.service
After the public key will be copied from ssh-client to ssh-server you can disable ssh password authentification again, if you don't need it of course, at your ssh-server (change the line in /etc/ssh/sshd_config of ssh-server and restart it):

Code:
PasswordAuthentication no
systemctl restart sshd.service
I don't recommend to edit authorized_keys files manually anyway unless you don't understand all of the things in details. Use ssh-copy-id utility opening temporarily SSH password authentification. If you still to have any problems - delete authorized_keys file at your ssh-server for backuppc user and do from every ssh-client described by me in my previous post for every user from your ssh-client machines.
Old 21st August 2012, 04:29 PM
Serophis Offline

linuxfirefox

Wow, did I play around a lot with settings... At any rate, noticed a footnote about PAM not being supported in Fedora, so I disabled it on both sides.

I noticed that copying&pasting keys worked from laptop to server, but not vice versa (even with and without user name in the end, and even with and without from=""). Password authentication simply does not work either, even if I type in the correct password (or lack thereof; yes I uncommented 'PermitEmptyPasswords yes' before trying). I also disabled the other authentication methods used on the laptop to get rid of the many errors when trying to ssh from server to laptop. Now my only errors (server-side only) involve publickey and password.

Anyhow, is there a way to disable any form of authentication whatsoever? It's the only way to ssh-copy-id into the laptop.

EDIT: I managed to resolve ips, so now I can just use names, yay.

Last edited by Serophis; 21st August 2012 at 04:43 PM. Reason: Small update
Old 21st August 2012, 04:53 PM
melal Offline

linuxubuntufirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serophis View Post
Wow, did I play around a lot with settings... At any rate, noticed a footnote about PAM not being supported in Fedora, so I disabled it on both sides.

I noticed that copying&pasting keys worked from laptop to server, but not vice versa (even with and without user name in the end, and even with and without from=""). Password authentication simply does not work either, even if I type in the correct password (or lack thereof; yes I uncommented 'PermitEmptyPasswords yes' before trying). I also disabled the other authentication methods used on the laptop to get rid of the many errors when trying to ssh from server to laptop. Now my only errors (server-side only) involve publickey and password.

Anyhow, is there a way to disable any form of authentication whatsoever? It's the only way to ssh-copy-id into the laptop.
1. PAM auth works perfect under Fedora.
2. What does your Fedora log /var/log/secure say?
3. Please, if something is wrong with ssh give everytime verbose output:
Code:
ssh -vvvv user@host
and log information from /var/log/secure - without this information it's too difficult to say something.
4. Try to use config file from one of my working servers: sshd_config.txt
Old 21st August 2012, 04:59 PM
melal Offline

linuxubuntufirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by melal View Post
1. PAM auth works perfect under Fedora.
2. What does your Fedora log /var/log/secure say?
3. Please, if something is wrong with ssh give everytime verbose output:
Code:
ssh -vvvv user@host
and log information from /var/log/secure - without this information it's too difficult to say something.
4. Try to use config file from one of my working servers: Attachment 23657
By the way, you wrote that there are no problems if you are establishing connection for root. If you can't establish connection as regular user - the problem is in keys and other files from /home/user/.ssh (right access, files itself etc.) possible at both ssh-server and ssh-client.
Old 21st August 2012, 05:18 PM
Serophis Offline

linuxfirefox

Below is everything. From what I could tell, the permissions on authorized_keys seems to be wrong. Alas, my head is spinning. Also, I am very thankful for the help so far. You have patience, friend!
Attached Files
File Type: txt secure log.txt (8.8 KB, 46 views)
File Type: txt laptop sshd_config.txt (4.0 KB, 31 views)
File Type: txt server sshd_config.txt (1.8 KB, 31 views)
File Type: txt ssh -vvvv.txt (8.5 KB, 41 views)
Old 21st August 2012, 06:23 PM
melal Offline

linuxubuntufirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serophis View Post
Below is everything. From what I could tell, the permissions on authorized_keys seems to be wrong. Alas, my head is spinning. Also, I am very thankful for the help so far. You have patience, friend!
First of all about problems I see at the moment:

1. You have 2 lines PasswordAuthentication in sshd_config in laptop:

Code:
PermitEmptyPasswords no
remove one of this duplicate lines

2. Change sshd_config of your laptop as follows:

Code:
RSAAuthentication yes
PubkeyAuthentication yes
PasswordAuthentication yes
UsePAM yes
Pay your attention to comment in sshd_config of laptop: "WARNING: 'UsePAM no' is not supported in Fedora and may cause several problems."

3. Your ssh -vvvv says that you are trying to connect from server to itself (to localhost = 127.0.0.1), but not to laptop (192.168.0.193), look:

Code:
debug1: Connecting to localhost [127.0.0.1] port 22
4. Your secure log from laptop says:

Code:
Authentication refused: bad ownership or modes for file /home/backuppc/.ssh/authorized_keys
I suggested already to remove this file as there is a high probability that this file has some mistakes, as you edited it manually - this file is not so simple as some guys consider. But before removing the file try to fix ownership - it must be owed by user backuppc and has 644 access rights, just do as root:

Code:
chown backuppc:backuppc /home/backuppc/.ssh/authorized_keys
chmod 644 /home/backuppc/.ssh/authorized_keys
5. Another thing I see - changed (not default) identity files location /var/lib/backuppc/.ssh/ at your server (your ssh-client with Debian, not Fedora). If this location is not what you expects, you can change it at your server in /etc/ssh/ssh_config (not the same as /etc/ssh/sshd_config !!!) by changing lines IdentityFile inside this file, for example:

Code:
IdentityFile ~/.ssh/identity
IdentityFile ~/.ssh/id_rsa
IdentityFile ~/.ssh/id_dsa
if you want to have default location of your ssh identity files.
Old 21st August 2012, 07:39 PM
Serophis Offline

linuxfirefox

You are officially my most favorite person in the world. Following your suggestions it finally works both ways! This has really been an issue for months now and I cannot begin to describe the sense of relief!

Thank you again! You, my friend, are awesome!

Tags
fails, fedora, ssh