Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 18th August 2012, 08:49 PM
WGroleau Offline

macossafari
Unhappy How to switch from RHN to Fedora

Vendor of an expensive lab tool provided a controller with RedHat 5 but failed to register it. So yum refuses to install mbadm. Source code website is broken.

Is there an easy way to make yum get things from fedora and switch back when we get a chance to beat on our vendor for the RHN subscription?
Old 19th August 2012, 01:58 AM
epperson Offline

linuxfirefox
Re: How to switch from RHN to Fedora

I think you want Centos repos, not fedora. IIRC, RHEL5 maps to somewhere around Fedora 8, long since unsupported.

The thread below on using Centos repos in RHEL5 passes my sanity check on a read through, although I have not tested it. Everything except the last post about Oracle and Centos 4 which makes no sense and has nothing to do with the rest of the thread.

http://www.centos.org/modules/newbb/...?topic_id=7905
Old 19th August 2012, 02:28 AM
WGroleau Offline

macosfirefox

Oh, thanks. Somehow I got the impression from somewhere on the RedHat site that RH and Fedora were the same but for branding.
Old 19th August 2012, 03:11 AM
smr54 Offline

linuxchrome

No, RH and CentOS, ScientificLinux, and Oracle Linux are almost identical. I think CentOS is the one that has binary compatibility as its primary aim, but the others also come close. However, Oracle only gives limited access to its free version--as I recall, only security and other essential updates--at least that's according to some recent thing of theirs--when they first came out with Oracle Linux, I think they only gave you access to what was on the original CD (but I could be wrong about that.)
Old 19th August 2012, 03:43 AM
epperson Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by smr54 View Post
No, RH and CentOS, ScientificLinux, and Oracle Linux are almost identical. I think CentOS is the one that has binary compatibility as its primary aim, but the others also come close. However, Oracle only gives limited access to its free version--as I recall, only security and other essential updates--at least that's according to some recent thing of theirs--when they first came out with Oracle Linux, I think they only gave you access to what was on the original CD (but I could be wrong about that.)
Actually Oracle Enterprise Linux has diverged fairly sharply from RHEL lately. They are bundling in their proprietary ASM code, among other things. Also note that if you register a Red Hat system to ULN (the OEL equivalent of RHN) support, the path back to RHN is not easy. Oracle replaces the yum linkage with a proprietary up2date, and it ain't purty.

Tags
fedora, rhn, switch