Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 12th August 2012, 11:35 PM
DupermanDave Offline

unknownfirefox
Network printer detection on Fedora

I have an old netbook running linux as a file and print server and I'm having a pretty hard time with getting it working in fedora. The wife's Mint Linux netbook is working with it right now, Windows 7 is working, but Fedora wont. In kde i can add a printer and it finds the server with printer on the network. After adding the printer, I try and print something and it just adds it to the local queue. The job never makes it to the server or printer.

I remember I had to manually set up the wife's mint netbook with a manual netword UID or something I had to get from the CUPS admin configuration page. But I totally forgot how to do that or if it's even the right thing to do in this case. I need some guidance from the experts.
Old 13th August 2012, 04:27 AM
David Batson Offline

windows_7opera
Re: Network printer detection on Fedora

If I'm not mistaken, you need to configure your firewall at the least. You probably need to have avahi running as well.

http://lists.fedoraproject.org/piper...ay/418069.html
Old 13th August 2012, 04:43 AM
DBelton Offline
Administrator

linuxfirefox

I had an issue with a HP laserjet 4300dtn here where it wouldn't print to it over the network. It would print test pages fine, but if I sent a document to the printer, it would just sit in the queue.

What I finally figured out was that cups was using the wrong driver for it. Once I manually selected the proper driver in the printer setup, it prints just fine.
Old 14th August 2012, 06:01 AM
stevea Offline

linuxfirefox

Can you access port 631 of the server via http like ....
http://192.168.1.42:631/
(where 192.168.1.42 isyour linux print server IP).

If so then yo have ipp protocol. You first then need to open port 631 UDP on your Fedora client "Network Prnter Cliant (IPP)" in the fedora firewall tool. It should find the printer from broadcast packets in a minute or so.

Then you need to make sure local 'cups' is working and configure the printer. I strongly prefer to pint my browser at:
http://localhost:631/ and then configure from there.

Some ppl prefer the configure printer tool (varies from desktop to desktop).
Old 14th August 2012, 06:54 AM
smr54 Offline

linuxchrome

If it is an HP printer, I would try installing the hplip package. Then, you can usually set up the printer with

hp-setup -i <printer-ip-address>

Tags
detection, fedora, network, printer