Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 11th August 2012, 04:38 PM
sunnyy9 Offline

linuxfirefox
how to add shut down button in the toolbar

plz tell me how to add shut down button in the toolbar, installed fedora 17 64 bit
Old 11th August 2012, 04:54 PM
BBQdave Offline
The Ubu-Grillmaster

linuxubuntufirefox
Re: how to add shut down button in the toolbar

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyy9 View Post
plz tell me how to add shut down button in the toolbar, installed fedora 17 64 bit
Strike the ALT key while clicking on the Suspend selection, then click on the Power button that appears in the pop up menu... which will shutdown your system.

Yes, I know, Gnome 3, amazingly straight forward
Old 11th August 2012, 05:05 PM
sunnyy9 Offline

linuxfirefox

thanks frnd

one more thing, where is minimize button in every window???
Old 11th August 2012, 05:15 PM
BBQdave Offline
The Ubu-Grillmaster

linuxubuntufirefox

Quote:
If you right click on the top of an open window, if brings up a sub menu of choices.

Though I think the Gnome 3 idea is to strike the Windows key or place your mouse arrow in the top left corner of your screen - that minimizes all open windows, so you can select the window you want.

The Gnome 3 idea, is that a user should only focus on one window at a time, everything else drops to the background or is hidden until you need it.

If you are looking for a Gnome 2 style interface, hang in there, Cinnamon and MATE are making there way into the next release of Fedora.

Personally, I like Mint 13 (Maya) MATE. It is the continuation of Gnome 2 and IMHO a sane stable desktop
Old 11th August 2012, 05:51 PM
sunnyy9 Offline

linuxfirefox

i m getting some problem like "database disk image is malformed".....while updating basic stuffs like yum plugin fastestmirror.....what to do?

problem is solved as i searched other threads and ran some commands, didnt worked though later did yum clean all and it worked and updated the database again......

Last edited by sunnyy9; 11th August 2012 at 06:12 PM.
Old 11th August 2012, 11:21 PM
Gareth Jones Offline
Official Gnome 3 Sales Rep. (and Adminstrator)

linuxfirefox

Quote:
There is no obvious place to minimize to (no panel or task-bar), so minimized window just "disappear". Their still shown in the overview (via the Activities button), but to avoid confusion the minimize button was hidden.

You can right-click the window's title-bar and use the menu, as mentioned, or you can install and run "gnome-tweak-tool". Go to the shell section "Shell" and set "Arrangement of buttons on the titlebar" as you wish.
Old 12th August 2012, 07:18 AM
solo2101 Offline

unknownfirefox

you can try this website to "customize" gnome
https://extensions.gnome.org/

you can also install gnome-tweak-tool
Old 22nd June 2013, 11:11 PM
chinamike Offline

linuxchrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQdave View Post
Though I think the Gnome 3 idea is to strike the Windows key or place your mouse arrow in the top left corner of your screen - that minimizes all open windows, so you can select the window you want. The Gnome 3 idea, is that a user should only focus on one window at a time, everything else drops to the background or is hidden until you need it.
Wow! Nice post. BBQDave, I had no idea about the left corner "hot spot" thing; I tried it right after reading your comment here. What I DID do though was used that Firefox options page (forgot what it is called) where you slide the on/off switches so I could remove that left vertical menu bar and replace it with a more traditional drop down menu in upper left. Also added the option of my favorites appearing in top bar.

I complained some time ago here about why Fedora developers changed up Gnome with that right vertical bar; it just seemed too "Ubuntu/flashy" to me rather than practical. I mean, how about the old adage, if it ain't broke why fix it?

One quick curiosity question (could Google, but since I'm here), why do some Linux systems use "apt-get" while Fedora (and others? not sure) use Yum, and I think there is another (can't recall the command). Is it a Debian thing?
Old 23rd June 2013, 01:55 AM
nonamedotc Offline
Community Manager

linuxfirefox

GNOME folks made this cheat sheet when 3.0 was released. Some of the items might have changed but this is still a useful item to look at when dabbling with GNOME shell for the first time.

Here is the link - https://live.gnome.org/GnomeShell/CheatSheet

The Linux Documentation Project | Fedora Documentation
Old 24th June 2013, 05:15 PM
Gareth Jones Offline
Official Gnome 3 Sales Rep. (and Adminstrator)

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinamike View Post
What I DID do though was used that Firefox options page (forgot what it is called) where you slide the on/off switches so I could remove that left vertical menu bar and replace it with a more traditional drop down menu in upper left.
I assume you mean https://extensions.gnome.org.

You may be pleased to know that in later GNOME releases (as featured in the up-coming F19), extensions that provide a Classic Mode are officially part of GNOME.

Quote:
I mean, how about the old adage, if it ain't broke why fix it?
Arguably the old interface was broken for newer hardware, such as touch-screens, and the new one is much more convenient for keyboard-control too.

Quote:
why do some Linux systems use "apt-get" while Fedora (and others? not sure) use Yum, and I think there is another (can't recall the command). Is it a Debian thing?
There are two “base” distributions on which many of the others are based. Red Hat Enterprise Linux, CentOS, Scientific Linux, and several others are all based on Fedora, which uses Yum/RPM for package management. Ubuntu, Mint, and several others are based on Debian, which uses Apt/DEB for package management. There are distributions which aren’t based on Fedora or Debian, such as Gentoo, Arch or Slackware. These are free to use whatever package management tools they want (or not as the case may be), but usually have their own system.

Last edited by Gareth Jones; 24th June 2013 at 05:16 PM. Reason: Fix URL

Tags
add, button, shut, toolbar