--------------

Wiring connection:
PC -> Router -> Modem -> ISP

Modem and router are supplied by ISP.

Modem:
Comtrend
Model SR-2010 (4 wire)

Router - wire

The modem is provided with 4 sockets, only one being used and connected to the router.

I'm prepared to set up an addional network with a wireless router. Would it be possible to connect it to an used socket of the modem. In this connection both routers will be connected to the same modem?

I have tested the sockets of the modem. All work with the wire modem without problem.

Please advise. TIA

B.R.
satimis
Old 11th August 2012, 04:14 PM
bbfuller Offline

linuxopera
Re: Adding another router, wire or wireless

Hello satimis

This is really part of your other question.

If your modem has one socket in and four out, then it's a modem/router. Each of the four sockets should be capable of supplying an independent ip address to connected equipment. If that is so, then as long as the ip addresses that the subsequent router(s) supply are in a different range to those that they are supplied then there should be no problem.
Old 11th August 2012, 04:28 PM
satimis Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbfuller View Post
Hello satimis

This is really part of your other question.

If your modem has one socket in and four out, then it's a modem/router. Each of the four sockets should be capable of supplying an independent ip address to connected equipment. If that is so, then as long as the ip addresses that the subsequent router(s) supply are in a different range to those that they are supplied then there should be no problem.
I just made following test;

- removed the cable for connecting the PC to router
- plugin the cable direct to the modem

Connection was broken. That means I must connect the system as;
PC -> Router -> Modem -> ISP

satimis
Old 11th August 2012, 04:35 PM
bbfuller Offline

linuxopera

Hello satimis

There would seem to be little point having four sockets on that modem/router if you can't use them independently.

I assume that you are using dhcp on the device that you plugged into it to set up the network and not static ip addresses?

If you do have to have your original router plugged in to the modem/router, do you have a specific reason for getting yet another router. Couldn't you just plug a wireless access point into the one you are using?
Old 11th August 2012, 04:51 PM
satimis Offline

linuxfirefox

Hi bbfuller,

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbfuller View Post
- snip -
I assume that you are using dhcp on the device that you plugged into it to set up the network and not static ip addresses?
I'm running static IP here.

I have been using this ISP for more than 4 years. IIRC before I have asked them whether I can connect PC to modem direct without passing through the route. They told me it is possible with the password provided by them. At the that time I subscribed ADSL plan, 8M down and 250K up, with static IP as well. I suppose I have the said password stored some where.

Quote:
If you do have to have your original router plugged in to the modem/router, do you have a specific reason for getting yet another router. Couldn't you just plug a wireless access point into the one you are using?
I'm testing Cloud here, OpenStack and Opennebula. They need 2 networks, one for external and another for internal. For such reason I'll use the additional router for 2nd network.

B.R.
satimis
Old 11th August 2012, 05:20 PM
bbfuller Offline

linuxopera

Hello satimis

Well, if you connected a static ip address device into your modem/router, it probably wouldn't work because it would be using the wrong ip address.

I suspect that your second router is getting an ip address all right by dhcp from what you call your modem.

I also suspect that if you plug a computer set to obtain its ip address by dhcp into that modem, it will work, as will anything connected to your router.

If it doesn't, then it's no good getting a second router. If a computer connected to the modem with dhcp won't work while your router is connected, then in all probability a second router won't either.
Old 11th August 2012, 05:24 PM
Kobuck Offline

linuxfirefox

Hello Satimis,

Looking at Comtrend products (offered in US ) I don't see the Comtrend model SR-2010. The products offered all are combination of ADSL2+ and router. So it dosen't seem you would need two boxes if you are working with US product offerings.

Agree with bbfuller. In US you could plug a wireless router into one of the open ports and be in business. The popular products here would establish a new ( separate ) network address space with the out of the box configuration. However, if you are working outside US most of our experience may not apply.

Don't recognize IIRC service provider what country are you in?
Old 12th August 2012, 11:19 AM
george_toolan Offline

linuxfirefox

Your modem isn't working, because your username and password are stored inside your router ;-)

Looks like you're trying to build another "loop".

An external network is your normal internet connection.

An internal network is a router that is not connected to your modem.

That's why you got a second nic.

You don't want anybody from the internet to connect to your testing "Cloud".

What kind of devices do you want to connect to the second router?

If they all use a wired connection then you can just buy a network switch and let Linux do the routing.
Old 12th August 2012, 12:13 PM
satimis Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by george_toolan View Post
Your modem isn't working, because your username and password are stored inside your router ;-)

Looks like you're trying to build another "loop".

An external network is your normal internet connection.

An internal network is a router that is not connected to your modem.
I got it. Thanks. The guide building the Cloud which I'm following mentions needs another loop for internal connection. I haven't got to that step YET, just making some preparation in advance.

Quote:
What kind of devices do you want to connect to the second router?
I'll use NIC to connect he second router via wire NOT wireless. Realtek chip has driver problem for Linux. I just fixed my problem on a new TP-Link Gigabit NIC.

Quote:
If they all use a wired connection then you can just buy a network switch and let Linux do the routing.
Thanks. The cost of a network switch is quite economical. I'll come back after sourcing the switch for advice but in a new posting. Thanks

B.R.
satimis

Tags
adding, router, wire, wireless