Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 9th August 2012, 05:18 PM
Dan Offline
Administrator

linuxfirefox
Cool If you ever had any doubts about Microsoft's ethics or goals ...

... This should just about settle the issue.

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...icle-1.1132135

Welcome to Big Brother's home town. <....>
Old 9th August 2012, 05:35 PM
smr54 Online

linuxopera
Re: If you ever had any doubts about Microsoft's ethics or goals ...

If you had any doubts about Mayor Bloomberg, it's also a clue. Not that he cares--like most politicians (all countries, IM not humble opinion, so hopefully, not political enough to get deleted) he doesn't really have to.

The downside is that the NYPD abuses things so frequently, that others err in the other direction--for example, someone tweeted how they were going to shoot up a theatre, the NYPD demanded their info from Twitter, who, used to complete abuse from the police here, said, no, get a warrant. (Which they did, and then Twitter gave them the info.) Point being, Twitter looks like the villain, but it's been so abused, that one expects that any request from the NYPD is going to be over the line.

I

Last edited by smr54; 9th August 2012 at 05:42 PM.
Old 9th August 2012, 05:45 PM
Dan Offline
Administrator

linuxfirefox

Bloomberg?! That sorry *&^#$%@!?

Just promise me, Scott ... that you poor guys up there will never let that sorry bag of wasted human skin, doomed oxygen, poly un-saturated fats and gargantuan hypocritical hubris ever visit the state of Texas. <....>

We've done our level best to re-cage Rick Perry and keep him somewhat contained, so please return us the favor with ol' Boomer-Britches. <....>
Old 9th August 2012, 06:51 PM
smr54 Online

linuxopera

As you've probably seen, he does what he wants, such as when he decided he wanted a third term.

One comment which I grant borders over political but....

When you get on the subway here, as long as the ride goes more than one or two stops, you will definitely hear two messages, one telling you to be sure to be afraid and the other telling you that you have lost some civil rights by going on the train. (The two literally say if you see something, say something, don't assume it was left by accident, and that large backpacks and other containers are subject to search by the police.)

Ok, feel free to delete that last paragraph, which I freely admit is over the line. But, had to say it.
Old 9th August 2012, 08:34 PM
DBelton Offline
Administrator

linuxfirefox

Well, just when you thought it was safe to breathe..

Then along comes this:

http://www.networkworld.com/communit...ireless-router

http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/1...-through-walls

http://www.engadget.com/2012/08/03/r...through-walls/

All 3 links are basically the same story.
Old 10th August 2012, 03:52 AM
R3v0lut10nary Offline

linuxfirefox

We deserve the representation we elect.

Thanks, my fellow Americans.
Old 10th August 2012, 04:11 AM
solo2101 Offline

unknownfirefox

wait.... the cameras and all those monitoring devices were there all this time?
Old 10th August 2012, 04:17 AM
R3v0lut10nary Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by solo2101 View Post
You will hear very little of this in the traditional streams, but there are those who say the surveillance apparatus already in place would blow your mind.

It's hard to call it a "conspiracy theory" at this point.
Old 10th August 2012, 08:59 AM
stevea Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
... This should just about settle the issue.

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...icle-1.1132135

Welcome to Big Brother's home town. <....>
Can't blame MS too much for this. If they refused some other gutless-wonders would provide the tools to 'manage' the sheeple. The problem originates at the Ministry of Truth, dear Winston. Still it's ANCIENT technology. I care a lot more abt police associating phone calls and web purchases and bank records.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smr54 View Post
If you had any doubts about Mayor Bloomberg, it's also a clue.
Ashecroft, Bush2, Obama, Bloomberg.... the task of or limited government is to protect our freedoms, not ourselves. A twin-towers comparable disaster every year is decidedly preferable to living under such tyranny.

Quote:
When you get on the subway here, as long as the ride goes more than one or two stops, you will definitely hear two messages, one telling you to be sure to be afraid and the other telling you that you have lost some civil rights by going on the train.
Then pity we who must use aircraft for travel, for we have lost all rights.. Tho' the Constitution clearly states we shall be free from searches of our persons and papers w/o warrant.. and tho' we have a right to association and free assembly ... still a federal officer can perform as intrusive a search as they wish if you arrive at an airport. The SCOTUS has found this acceptable - and claims that you have no right to privacy in an airport - even unto your underwear.and it's contents. All searches and intrusions such as planting bugs are therefore legal at an airport.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBelton View Post
Well, just when you thought it was safe to breathe..

Then along comes this:
Put a metal-bladed rotary fan near the wifi - problem solved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3v0lut10nary View Post
We deserve the representation we elect.

Thanks, my fellow Americans.
Let me rebut that dum*ss idea in terms a computer geek will appreciate.

When I buy a jar of mustard I have maybe 6 regular stores to consider and each has perhaps 5-15 choices of mustard - when you consider price and service, distance, convenience, store-cards, sales etc - there are at least 100 distinct and potentially viable choices. So a purchase represents ~6.5 bits of information to distinguish among these 100 options in an information theoretic sense. So if I buy mustard once ever 6 months, then I present the mustard vendors with (6.5*8=) 26 bits of information every 4 years

When I pick a president at the voting booth it typically represents 1 one "ONE" bit of information to select among the two viable parties every 4 years. It should not be surprising to anyone that the executive is (2^25 =) 32million times less informed & responsive than mustard vendors.

I like my mustard modestly grainy, semi-hot, salty and very non-sweet without much tumeric and no funky fruity flavors and since it's an occasional purchase store distance, sales and price are secondary concerns. I still have ~5 or 8 decent choices among 100 possible.

I like my presidents pro-liberty, pro-limited-government, pro-fiscal-conservatism, pro-rule-of-law and pro-Constitution - and any one of those criteria leave me ZERO viable choices. I don't care a lot about mustard, but I have lot of decent mustard choices and the mustard vendors truly compete - I have ZERO decent presidential choices.

It's very clear that what we have is a market monopoly. There are two parties that collude in a competitive manner to remove alternative choices. It's long past time we should have many parties and many choices. It's long past time that we should select presidents and legislative representatives by contributing several bits of input every few weeks, and not <4 bits every 4 years. The system is badly broken.

Quote:
Originally Posted by solo2101 View Post
And that's an acceptable thing to you ? To be fair the police have a legit right to view and act on what happens in public. But using it as more than supporting evidence and cause for action is troubling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3v0lut10nary View Post
You will hear very little of this in the traditional streams, but there are those who say the surveillance apparatus already in place would blow your mind.

It's hard to call it a "conspiracy theory" at this point.
Yeah - look at the UK vid/aud surveillance systems. Do you really want big-brother bitching and sending out a squad-car when you litter ? Strangely the police in the US have no idea what the laws are and in some cases openly boast that they will not observe the law (even unto the executive). Coupled that with extreme surveillance hardware and .... bad outcomes are certain to result.

I am often distressed at the way kids (and I mean <20yos) are treated today. You might thinks that no one ever broke a window with an errant baseball or indulged in an egg-throwing, smashed a few pumpkins, ... - such crimes today require re-education and a criminal record.. Were all my youthful indiscretions on public display and judged by this 'modern morality' then I should be hanged. So where is the space to allow youth to be imperfect and to allow for learning of limits ? It's gone - swallowed up by a mere mechanism of law enforcement that can make no judgment calls and knows not of this human process. Then too where is the space to allow adults to be adults in the view of such a machine ? All lost.

Last edited by stevea; 10th August 2012 at 09:06 AM.
Old 10th August 2012, 11:33 AM
bonedome Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Using the new system, investigators will be able to access information through live video feeds and could potentially see who left a suspicious package behind just moments later
this sort of paranoia will eat you from the inside.

Here in Britain this sort of surveillance society is already reality, it is policing on the cheap and of course the biggest loser is Joe public, the crims avoid areas covered by cameras or get a slightly longer peak on their baseball cap.
Without question it has resulted in convictions where there may not have been without video evidence but in the long term we are creating a criminal justice system that believes that if it wasn't caught on camera a court would not convict, this is now the norm with regard to traffic offences, if it wasn't caught on camera it never happened.

As much as I loathe microsoft I wonder if any other software vendor where approached with a blank cheque, would they say "no thanks we like the moral high ground" in this respect microsoft had nothing to lose and shareholders dividends to pay.
Old 10th August 2012, 11:56 AM
glway Offline

windows_xp_2003firefox

Bye bye freedom. I admit I am not a fan of Microsoft at all. In fact I'm the complete opposite of that. But here I don't see Microsoft doing something that any other large software company wouldn't and as a matter of fact hasn't done yet. Similar things could be said about google street view. And the satellite view for that matter. Not to mention the millions and millions of webcams scattered around the globe. For the past 10 years no one has been able to go to the toilet without the knowledge of half of the world. So yeah... Welcome everyone to the stage lol
Old 10th August 2012, 01:39 PM
sonoran Offline

linuxfirefox

In memory of the late Gore Vidal here's the youtube version of his History of the National Security State. Wouldn't surprise me at all if your name goes on a list somewhere when you click this link.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-7iu--R0TY
Old 10th August 2012, 01:58 PM
Dan Offline
Administrator

linuxfirefox

Ooooh! a list! Goody!

<..click!..>
Old 10th August 2012, 02:23 PM
bigflopper2 Offline

linuxfirefox

Interesting topic.

A couple of years ago there was an article in german newspaper about the development of Orwellian Big Brother state.

Examples
UK
- surveillance state nr 1
- 300 cameras track every London purchaser and on his way to work
- in 2007 4,2 Millionen cameras being used to track people....started with the “Bliar” administraiton

USA
just read this article:
The NSA Is Building the Country’s Biggest Spy Center (Watch What You Say)

http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/201...tacenter/all/1 (sick ****)

funny thing is, (most of) this stuff is being justified because of terrorist attacks, but....how to prevent an attack through video monitoring of various accessible areas?
Old 10th August 2012, 02:29 PM
Dan Offline
Administrator

linuxfirefox

An interesting discussion indeed, but one which was dangerously close to the politics line when it was started, and is straddling it now.

Therefore, I would invite participants to continue the discussion, as I think it has some merit, but to move to the social groups area to do it.

Thread closed.
Closed Thread