Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 2nd August 2012, 11:33 PM
supergroove Offline

linuxopera
Re: can't install any linux on my laptop

same laptop and same problem here.
i tried fedora 16 and 17, ubuntu, mint 11,12,13 and none of them can't work, not even in the "live mode".
all dvds are ok, i tested them on my desktop machine!
Old 2nd August 2012, 11:43 PM
sea Online
"Shells" (of a sub world)

windows_7chrome

I've seen this behaviour while trying to install 64bit on a 32 bit machine.
Meaning try to install i386/i686.
Repo (sea-devel) :: Text User Interface (TUI), Video Handler Script (VHS), efi-helper, grub2-circled-nasa-themes, Essentials (blame, p, rmtf, rnd, siggen, screenshot...), (BETA) Dev-Scripts, (BETA) Fedora Account Scripts (FAS)
Old 9th August 2012, 06:53 AM
cryogenic666 Offline

linuxfirefox

This is definitely a 64-bit machine from what I can tell by googling the model. You might actually want to try the install DVD instead of the live CD. It'll take longer to download but it doesn't try and load a desktop environment for the install process. I've never had issues with the DVD booting even when the live CD had problems. The other advantage is that if you check the checkboxes next to the repositories to enable them during install, it'll go ahead and download updated packages during the install. So you might end up with newer package versions that would solve some of the issues you'd otherwise have. Just an idea.
Old 14th August 2012, 03:34 PM
supergroove Offline

linuxopera

good idea, i'm gonna try 64-bit disto. can't believe i didn't come up with this earlier!
thanks!
Old 15th August 2012, 06:19 PM
cryogenic666 Offline

linuxfirefox

I actually had this exactly issue the other day with my roommate's laptop. The live CD just crashed when it tried to load the desktop, but the netinstall CD worked perfectly. It also booted straight into F17 without issue once it was installed. Go figure.
Old 16th August 2012, 03:10 AM
lamegaptop Offline

linuxfirefox

The Core i5 based pavilions have what can only be called lame BIOS. At the boot screen hit <TAB> then add this to the end of the line.
Quote:
acpi_osi=Linux acpi_backlight=vendor
This should cure the no video problem. If this works then after installing Fedora modify /etc/default/grub adding the above to the "GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=" line, ensuring that they are inside the double quotes. Save the file then run, as root -

Quote:
grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg
This works for all distros not just Fedora.

Last edited by lamegaptop; 16th August 2012 at 03:16 AM. Reason: More info

Tags
install, laptop, linux