Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 23rd July 2012, 02:27 AM
Dan Online
Administrator

linuxfirefox
Question I've got some thermal concerns ...

... on/about my AMD Phenom II X4 965 Processor.

Which is not entirely surprising in Texas this time of year, given that the thermometer twice pinged off of 105F yesterday. Once on the way up, and then several hours later, once more on the way back down. That's just the way it is here in July, August and September. It's also why we have AC units. Blessed be Freon!

However, normally this Franken-Beast of a computer cycles its way through the jobs I task it -- with ridiculous ease. And that's still the case, really, but this is the first time I've done things that park all four cores up at 97+ percent, at 3.4gHz, for up to an hour at a time. And it handles it well, even allowing me to surf normally whilst it crunches the data.

However ...

The specs show that the meltdown temp on this CPU is ~62C/143F. Normally it never gets above 105F. (I'm still on the stock cooler, which may account for a lot of the problem here) But once I start the offending intense application, I'm regularly seeing 55C/131F on the CPU and full-bore running (4500rpm) of the CPU cooler fan. (76~78F room temp.)

Now ... that's not quite at the molten end of the thermal curve ... yet ... but it's plenty close enough to make my eyebrows go up.

So ... the questions I have are these:
  • Is this fairly normal?
  • Is this too hot for the healthy lifespan of the CPU (I spent a helluvalot of money on it. I want it to grow very old -- gracefully.)
  • What kind of temps do you see on your CPUs running such intense applications at those kinds of speeds?

*Dan wanders off to Newegg to price out a liquid cooling system.*

Old 23rd July 2012, 02:52 AM
JamesNZ Offline

linuxchrome
Re: I've got some thermal concerns ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
What kind of temps do you see on your CPUs running such intense applications at those kinds of speeds?
As it happens, I've got one of those HP dv6000's Normal operating temperature is around 55C when I'm browsing the web etc. If it's idle, around 52C-54C. When I'm really pushing it I've seen it go up to 65C but generally the high end is around 58C-60C.

Mind you, it's the middle of winter over here

- Jesus
Old 23rd July 2012, 03:10 AM
Dan Online
Administrator

linuxfirefox

Ayup. I wouldn't even dream of trying this on the ol' Fukushima Special. (dv9904ca) It regularly hits those kinds of temps, and has been known to blip itself into the darkness of digital oblivion whence hot.
Old 23rd July 2012, 04:33 AM
Yellowman

linuxfirefox

Quote:
... on/about my AMD Phenom II X4 965 Processor.

Which is not entirely surprising in Texas this time of year, given that the thermometer twice pinged off of 105F yesterday. Once on the way up, and then several hours later, once more on the way back down. That's just the way it is here in July, August and September. It's also why we have AC units. Blessed be Freon!

However, normally this Franken-Beast of a computer cycles its way through the jobs I task it -- with ridiculous ease. And that's still the case, really, but this is the first time I've done things that park all four cores up at 97+ percent, at 3.4gHz, for up to an hour at a time. And it handles it well, even allowing me to surf normally whilst it crunches the data.

However ...

The specs show that the meltdown temp on this CPU is ~62C/143F. Normally it never gets above 105F. (I'm still on the stock cooler, which may account for a lot of the problem here) But once I start the offending intense application, I'm regularly seeing 55C/131F on the CPU and full-bore running (4500rpm) of the CPU cooler fan. (76~78F room temp.)

Now ... that's not quite at the molten end of the thermal curve ... yet ... but it's plenty close enough to make my eyebrows go up.

So ... the questions I have are these:
  • Is this fairly normal?
  • Is this too hot for the healthy lifespan of the CPU (I spent a helluvalot of money on it. I want it to grow very old -- gracefully.)
  • What kind of temps do you see on your CPUs running such intense applications at those kinds of speeds?

*Dan wanders off the Newegg to price out a liquid cooling system.*

Are you using a stock cooler?

If you choose water cooling or wish to reduce temps a bit you could try a better thermal compound.
I personally recommend "Gelid Solutions GC-Extreme Cutting Edge Thermal Compound"

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/G...Extreme/5.html

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/sho...php?t=18416533

My amd 1055t doesn't go above 52c underload even with a 25% O/C (@3.6ghz)

Last edited by Yellowman; 23rd July 2012 at 04:40 AM.
Old 23rd July 2012, 05:25 AM
Dan Online
Administrator

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowman View Post
Are you using a stock cooler?
Currently, yes. Whilst the warranty period was in effect, I kept it stock. Looking to change that now.

Water cooled is on the short list, but I'm also looking at larger heatsink/fan combinations. A pump/radiator/fan combo essentially doubles the moving parts count, and therefore the possible failure rate. A big/high efficiency heat sink has the benefit of one moving part, and reduced efficiency but still marginally effective cooling possibilities when and if the fan poops out.

As far as compound goes, it's not the top of the field reviewed, but I've got most of a fresh tube of Arctic Silver 5 sitting here in a drawer waiting for a new cooling solution.
Old 23rd July 2012, 07:03 AM
tsorvoja Offline

linuxchrome

I presume you have a desktop machine there. Check the cooler if there's any dust (you might need to remove the fan). I regularly vacuum dust away from inside. If the computer is on the floor the dust blocks the cooler usually in less than a year. At least in my house...
Old 23rd July 2012, 08:59 AM
John the train Offline
Techno-Womble - Community Manager

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsorvoja View Post
I presume you have a desktop machine there. Check the cooler if there's any dust (you might need to remove the fan). I regularly vacuum dust away from inside. If the computer is on the floor the dust blocks the cooler usually in less than a year. At least in my house...
Checking for cat hairs might be added to the list chez Dan?
Old 23rd July 2012, 09:06 AM
Adunaic Offline

linuxfirefox

I seem to recall there are some cooling solutions in these setups, have a glance: http://www.gameranx.com/features/id/...gaming-setups/ They seem to prefer the open air design.
Old 23rd July 2012, 12:58 PM
Dan Online
Administrator

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsorvoja View Post
Ayup. It's a desktop. To the best of my knowledge, they don't build a laptop with that CPU. 140w tdp seems like it might not be so good in a small box. And this is not a new problem.

http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=278819

Quote:
Originally Posted by John the train View Post
Checking for cat hairs might be added to the list chez Dan?
That had crossed my mind. In fact ... checking for the whole dang cat might be in order. <....>

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adunaic View Post
I seem to recall there are some cooling solutions in these setups, have a glance: http://www.gameranx.com/features/id/...gaming-setups/ They seem to prefer the open air design.
Hmmm. Can't say I've been quite that innovative here. Although ... the one with the table fan duct taped into the box does seem a bit familiar.

http://forums.fedoraforum.org/pictur...pictureid=1120

http://forums.fedoraforum.org/pictur...&pictureid=691
Old 23rd July 2012, 01:49 PM
Adunaic Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:

That had crossed my mind. In fact ... checking for the whole dang cat might be in order. <....>

Hmmm. Can't say I've been quite that innovative here. Although ... the one with the table fan duct taped into the box does seem a bit familiar.

http://forums.fedoraforum.org/pictur...pictureid=1120

http://forums.fedoraforum.org/pictur...&pictureid=691
Hmmm... its not clear from this if that is designed to cool the PC or warm the cat.
Old 23rd July 2012, 01:53 PM
Dan Online
Administrator

linuxfirefox

When Splotch was helping me draw up the plans ... I kinda wondered about that, myself. <....>
Old 23rd July 2012, 03:50 PM
DBelton Offline
Administrator

linuxfirefox

Well, Dan..

You could always go this route
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	300x372px-LL-8806bc9c_fan_pc_3.jpeg
Views:	91
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	23505  
Old 23rd July 2012, 04:07 PM
Dan Online
Administrator

linuxfirefox

Kinda hate to see what the service head meter does when you power that bugger up. I also wonder if the internal components in there are rated for 40~60+ inHg? <....>
Old 23rd July 2012, 04:31 PM
Dan Online
Administrator

linuxfirefox

This is what I've got in there now:

Auxiliary fans (80mm for video card supply, 120mm for chipset/cpu supply.)

The means of retaining them in place are salvaged HDD magnets. (sticks them to the vent grid quite handily.)

Everything in place ...

And ... the salvaged HDD magnet case/desk retention system.

Probably not the best system/area to use floppy disks/cassette tapes around, eh? <...>
Old 23rd July 2012, 04:44 PM
John the train Offline
Techno-Womble - Community Manager

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBelton View Post
Well, Dan..

You could always go this route
Looks as if it might achieve lift off on fan power!

Tags
concerns, thermal