Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 19th July 2012, 10:43 PM
AllanPen Offline

linuxchrome
chown command

I realize this should be simple; haven't been LInuxing for a while. I can't get access to a mounted vfat partition. I give the command sudo chown -R allan /media/vfat
and get back this:

[allan@MyFedora ~]$ sudo chown -R allan /media/vfat
chown: changing ownership of `/media/vfat/$RECYCLE.BIN/desktop.ini': Operation not permitted
chown: changing ownership of `/media/vfat/$RECYCLE.BIN': Operation not permitted
chown: changing ownership of `/media/vfat/ATIH2012_5545_en-US.exe': Operation not permitted
chown: changing ownership of `/media/vfat/mbam-consumer.exe': Operation not permitted
chown: changing ownership of `/media/vfat/Backup/USB_Emerg/PC/PC_MBR/Mint.mbw': Operation not permitted
chown: changing ownership of `/media/vfat/Backup/USB_Emerg/PC/PC_MBR/FedoraMBR.mbw': Operation not permitted
chown: changing ownership of `/media/vfat/Backup/USB_Emerg/PC/PC_MBR': Operation not permitted
chown: changing ownership of `/media/vfat/Backup/USB_Emerg/PC/PC_BIOS/OC_BIOS': Operation not permitted
chown: changing ownership of `/media/vfat/Backup/USB_Emerg/PC/PC_BIOS': Operation not permitted
chown: changing ownership of `/media/vfat/Backup/USB_Emerg/PC': Operation not permitted
chown: changing ownership of `/media/vfat/Backup/USB_Emerg/LP.html': Operation not permitted
chown: changing ownership of `/media/vfat/Backup/USB_Emerg/MyDexpot.dxp': Operation not permitted
chown: changing ownership of `/media/vfat/Backup/USB_Emerg/PW.txt': Operation not permitted
chown: changing ownership of `/media/vfat/Backup/USB_Emerg/Laptop/Lap_Win7.mbw': Operation not permitted
chown: changing ownership of `/media/vfat/Backup/USB_Emerg/Laptop/Lap_Mint.mbw': Operation not permitted
chown: changing ownership of `/media/vfat/Backup/USB_Emerg/Laptop': Operation not permitted
chown: changing ownership of `/media/vfat/Backup/USB_Emerg': Operation not permitted
chown: changing ownership of `/media/vfat/Backup': Operation not permitted
chown: changing ownership of `/media/vfat': Operation not permitted
Windows 7, Ubuntu Fedora, Suse
Old 19th July 2012, 11:01 PM
sidebrnz Offline

linuxfirefox
Re: chown command

You can't chown files on a vfat partition even as root because vfat doesn't have any way to record the ownership.
Registered Linux user #470359 and permanently recovered BOFH.

Any advice in this post is worth exactly what you paid for it.
Old 20th July 2012, 02:20 AM
AllanPen Offline

windows_7chrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidebrnz View Post
You can't chown files on a vfat partition even as root because vfat doesn't have any way to record the ownership.
Ahhh I see; thanks.
Old 20th July 2012, 01:18 PM
Gareth Jones Offline
Official Gnome 3 Sales Rep. (and Adminstrator)

linuxfirefox

You can fake the ownership and permissions of (all) files a vFAT (or other non-Unix) file-system with mount options, but if the device was auto-mounted in GNOME or KDE then that should have been done automatically.

If it's a manual mount, or in /etc/fstab, check the section "Mount options for fat" in "man mount", specifically uid, gid, umask, dmask and fmask. You probably want something like "uid=1000,gid=1000".
Old 20th July 2012, 02:04 PM
AllanPen Offline

windows_7chrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gareth Jones View Post
You can fake the ownership and permissions of (all) files a vFAT (or other non-Unix) file-system with mount options, but if the device was auto-mounted in GNOME or KDE then that should have been done automatically.

If it's a manual mount, or in /etc/fstab, check the section "Mount options for fat" in "man mount", specifically uid, gid, umask, dmask and fmask. You probably want something like "uid=1000,gid=1000".
I mounted it during installation and partition selection.

Tags
chown, command