Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 4th June 2012, 01:41 PM
atarixle Offline

linuxchrome
Second Life / Phoenix Firestorm crashes permanently

Hello,

I used to play Second Life (using Phoenix Firestorm) on Ubuntu 10.10 ...

Now I want to switch to Fedora 17 32 Bit.

The Phoenix Firestorm Viewer (Version 4.x) crashes permanently ... on crowded areas, I crash after 5...10 seconds. Btw, on Fedora 64 Bit with all the .i686 compatibelity packages installed, the viewer didn't crash, but in Fedora 32 bit (no matter if with or without PAE Kernel).

The original Second Life Viewer (ver 3.x) also crashes permanently on F17/x86.

Using rpm-fusion's Nvidia driver (current version) with Nvidia GTX460 ... I remember, it didn't crash in Fedora 11 (or sooner).

I don't have any SWAP partition, but the memory usage is just 25% (of 4 GB) or less.

I was trying all the hints on http://wiki.phoenixviewer.com/fs_run_crash but non of them help.

Can anybody help me with that issue? I mean, I cannot imagine, that I am the only one with that problem.
Old 4th June 2012, 01:52 PM
CronoCloud Offline

linuxfirefox
Re: Second Life / Phoenix Firestorm crashes permanently

Quote:
Can anybody help me with that issue? I mean, I cannot imagine, that I am the only one with that problem.
SL users running Linux are uncommon, however today is your lucky day.

I've run SL on Fedora since F12, though always on 64-bit. I'm currently using Snowstorm dev builds. Which viewer version are you trying to run?

One thing I might suggest is deleting your .secondlife/user_settings/settings.xml file if it crashes that fast. I've seen issues with an updated version not playing nice with older settings files, which will cause an immediate crash in most instances.

CronoCloud
Old 4th June 2012, 01:56 PM
atarixle Offline

linuxchrome

I also tried to run Phoenix Firestorm with a fresh config folder (rm -rfv .firestorm) ...

Surely, I was using a newly created .secondlife/ folder when I was testdriving the official second life viewer.

But nothing helped. Still crashing on crowded areas like the I Love The 80s Club (when many visitors are there).

(as I said, it didn't crash on Fedora 64 bit, but 64 bit are so inconsistant using propietary software like SL viewers or WINE games, so I installed Fedora 32 Bit ...)

Btw, I already disabled SElinux ...

Last edited by atarixle; 4th June 2012 at 01:59 PM.
Old 4th June 2012, 02:48 PM
CronoCloud Offline

linuxfirefox

[QUOTE=atarixle;1581683But nothing helped. Still crashing on crowded areas like the I Love The 80s Club (when many visitors are there).[/quote]

Sounds like it's got a memory leak of some kind.

Quote:
(as I said, it didn't crash on Fedora 64 bit, but 64 bit are so inconsistant using propietary software like SL viewers or WINE games, so I installed Fedora 32 Bit ...)
If it doesn't crash on 64-bit, then use 64-bit.

CronoCloud
Old 4th June 2012, 03:02 PM
atarixle Offline

linuxchrome

Well, in 64 bit, nothing really works in WINE, which I also am using much ...
Most annoying (beside the need to install the 32 bit libs of half the operating system) is, that SL music is not working on 64 Bit systems.

Yeah, I was thinking about memory leaking, but as I said, there are just 25% of 4GB in use :/

Last edited by atarixle; 4th June 2012 at 03:05 PM.
Old 4th June 2012, 04:11 PM
CronoCloud Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by atarixle View Post
Well, in 64 bit, nothing really works in WINE, which I also am using much ...
Don't use the 64-bit WINE, use the 32...even the wine people recommend that.

Quote:
Most annoying (beside the need to install the 32 bit libs of half the operating system) is, that SL music is not working on 64 Bit systems.
Oh it's annoying, I know. I can tell you that to get music working, you'll need the i686 gstreamers. specifically the gstreamer-plugins-ugly.i686 package.

CronoCloud
Old 5th June 2012, 11:17 AM
atarixle Offline

linuxchrome

Hmm ... also in Fedora 32 / WINE, it seems to be impossible to get Need For Speed World to run ...

SL crashes ...

F64 needs half the system of F32 ...

conceidering to install that system that works properly, I installed Ubuntu 10.10 ... the best Linux based operating system ever (not earlier, not later, exact 10.10)

EDIT: on Ubuntu 10.10, SL uses up to 2GB's (60+% of memory usage total) ... can it be that memory allocation is limited by any security setting?

Last edited by atarixle; 5th June 2012 at 01:47 PM.
Old 25th June 2012, 01:03 AM
Jaguar07 Offline

linuxfirefox

If you are using 64bit Fedora, then use the following as a guide to install the 32 bit libs you need.

http://evanscomputers.com/?p=3816

My most recent system
Old 13th July 2012, 03:30 PM
Riff Gaffer Offline

unknownfirefox

I've always struggled with SL on 64 bits. The problem so far as I understand it is that there's not a native 64 bit client. The closest I came was with Imprudence which did run nicely - but then started getting very crashy.

That in itself caused a problem because the Imprudence viewer isn't Mesh compatible. I'm having good results using Fedora 17 32 bit and Singularity viewer though
Old 13th July 2012, 07:10 PM
Jaguar07 Offline

linuxfirefox

No. As far as I know there is not a 64 bit client for Linux, yet.
I use SL Viewer 3.3.3 The latest one from SL. I can also run the Firestorm 32 bit edition on my Fedora 17 x64, with SL voice and everything working, save SLURLS.

My most recent system
Old 14th July 2012, 03:48 PM
Riff Gaffer Offline

unknownfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar07 View Post
No. As far as I know there is not a 64 bit client for Linux, yet.
I use SL Viewer 3.3.3 The latest one from SL. I can also run the Firestorm 32 bit edition on my Fedora 17 x64, with SL voice and everything working, save SLURLS.
I've had issues on other 64bit distros - it never quite works. I understand that installing the 32 bit codecs is supposed to work but I've not yet figured out how to do that but since this machine only has 4 gigs of ram it's not pressing and I'll stay with 32 bit for now.
Old 23rd July 2012, 04:21 PM
atarixle Offline

linuxchrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by CronoCloud View Post
Don't use the 64-bit WINE, use the 32...even the wine people recommend that.

Oh it's annoying, I know. I can tell you that to get music working, you'll need the i686 gstreamers. specifically the gstreamer-plugins-ugly.i686 package.

CronoCloud
And exactly this package is not installable:

Error: Package: gstreamer-plugins-ugly-0.10.19-1.fc17.i686 (rpmfusion-free)
Requieres: libopencore-amrnb.so.0
Error: Package: gstreamer-plugins-ugly-0.10.19-1.fc17.i686 (rpmfusion-free)
Requires: libopencore-amrwb.so.0
Sie können versuchen mit --skip-broken das Problem zu umgehen.
You could try running: rpm -Va --nofiles --nodigest
Old 23rd July 2012, 04:52 PM
ashtonford Offline

linuxopera

I just had the same problem install catznip browser 32 bit it works perfect out of the box http://catznip.com/downloads/

I used to play Second Life (using Phoenix Firestorm) on Ubuntu 10.10 ...

Now I want to switch to Fedora 17 32 Bit.

The Phoenix Firestorm Viewer (Version 4.x) crashes permanently ... on crowded areas, I crash after 5...10 seconds. Btw, on Fedora 64 Bit with all the .i686 compatibelity packages installed, the viewer didn't crash, but in Fedora 32 bit (no matter if with or without PAE Kernel).

The original Second Life Viewer (ver 3.x) also crashes permanently on F17/x86.

Using rpm-fusion's Nvidia driver (current version) with Nvidia GTX460 ... I remember, it didn't crash in Fedora 11 (or sooner).

I don't have any SWAP partition, but the memory usage is just 25% (of 4 GB) or less.

I was trying all the hints on http://wiki.phoenixviewer.com/fs_run_crash but non of them help.

Can anybody help me with that issue? I mean, I cannot imagine, that I am the only one with that problem.[/QUOTE]
Old 23rd July 2012, 07:26 PM
atarixle Offline

linuxchrome

I installed opencore-amrwb.i686 manually, as it is not available via RPM fusion (idk why, the x86_64 is available and installed). After doing this, the gstreamer-plugins-ugly.i686 installed perfectly and the music is working in Firestorm (now version 4.1.1).
Old 24th July 2012, 10:17 AM
atarixle Offline

linuxchrome

Ok, why the hell did it stop running?

I did not change anything since I logged in yesterday.

I did not do any update since I logged in yesterday.

What is this Error about?

Code:
$ ./firestorm 
64-bit Linux detected.
Running from /home/atarixle/Applications/Phoenix_Firestorm-Release_i686_4.1.1.28744
./firestorm: Zeile 89: ./etc/register_hopprotocol.sh: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden
which: no kde-config in (/usr/lib64/qt-3.3/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/sbin:/home/atarixle/.local/bin:/home/atarixle/bin)
which: no kde4-config in (/usr/lib64/qt-3.3/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/sbin:/home/atarixle/.local/bin:/home/atarixle/bin)
./firestorm: Zeile 152:  2698 Speicherzugriffsfehler  (Speicherabzug geschrieben) $LL_WRAPPER bin/do-not-directly-run-firestorm-bin "${gridargs[@]}" "$@"
*** Bad shutdown ($LL_RUN_ERR). ***
ERROR: ld.so: object '/home/atarixle/Applications/Phoenix_Firestorm-Release_i686_4.1.1.28744/lib/libcrypto.so.1.0.0' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded: ignored.
ERROR: ld.so: object '/home/atarixle/Applications/Phoenix_Firestorm-Release_i686_4.1.1.28744/lib/libssl.so.1.0.0' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded: ignored.

ERROR: ld.so: object '/home/atarixle/Applications/Phoenix_Firestorm-Release_i686_4.1.1.28744/lib/libcrypto.so.1.0.0' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded: ignored.
ERROR: ld.so: object '/home/atarixle/Applications/Phoenix_Firestorm-Release_i686_4.1.1.28744/lib/libssl.so.1.0.0' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded: ignored.
You are running the Firestorm Viewer on a x86_64 platform.  The
most common problems when launching the Viewer (particularly
'bin/do-not-directly-run-firestorm-bin: not found' and 'error while
loading shared libraries') may be solved by installing your Linux
distribution's 32-bit compatibility packages.
For example, on Ubuntu and other Debian-based Linuxes you might run:
$ sudo apt-get install ia32-libs ia32-libs-gtk ia32-libs-kde ia32-libs-sdl
Be aware that I have been logged in yesterday with the very same system and the very same config.

EDIT: Same with ANY other Second Life Viewer. None of them work anymore.

Last edited by atarixle; 24th July 2012 at 11:31 AM.

Tags
crashes, firestorm, life, permanently, phoenix, second life