Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 13th July 2012, 11:28 AM
Azhar Offline

windows_vistafirefox
Networking help with VirtualBox

I have Vista machine, on which i have installed Fedora 15 using VirtualBox. To access the internet using Fedora i have to change my network settings to NAT in VirtualBox. With bridged network i can access the LAN but cannot access the internet due to the restrictions placed on the router.

With NAT enabled i can access the internet and even ping the LAN , but my Vista machine cannot access or ping the Fedora VirtualBox.

Any advice how can i access both ways.

Ip on Fedora : 10.0.2.15/24
Ip on Vista : 192.168.0.220/24
Old 13th July 2012, 01:31 PM
flyingfsck Offline

linuxfirefox
Re: Networking help with VirtualBox

Configure them with the same subnet. If you have a router thingy that runs DHCP then use it for all machines.
Old 13th July 2012, 01:54 PM
Azhar Offline

windows_vistachrome

I don't have access to the router.

And when i change the setting to bridge in VirtualBox, the IP of fedora gets changed to

192.168.0.114/24 ( My LAN IP )

And when i choose NAT option , the IP is changed to

10.0.2.15/24
Old 14th July 2012, 01:21 AM
jlpierce Offline

linuxopera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azhar View Post
I don't have access to the router.

And when i change the setting to bridge in VirtualBox, the IP of fedora gets changed to

192.168.0.114/24 ( My LAN IP )

And when i choose NAT option , the IP is changed to

10.0.2.15/24
Ok, so the router is assigning IPs from the 192.168.0 network, setup the fedora virtual machine to be bridged and then inside of fedora manually specify an IP and together with the netmask of 24 and the gateway address of the router.

You can find the gateway address you need from windows by running cmd and typing ipconfig /all then press enter.
Old 14th July 2012, 07:48 AM
Azhar Offline

windows_vistafirefox

I don't understand how that will help me. I mean in bridged mode i already have an IP from 192.168.0 network and my router restricts access to the internet except to the IP's already assigned.

With NAT'ing i am ultimately using the IP that has been assigned to my machine but with NAT'ing i can't access my virtual machine from my physical.
Old 14th July 2012, 08:50 AM
hmmsjan Offline

linuxfirefox

Dear Azhar,

If you cannot allow your virtual IP to the internet due to router restrictions there is not much what you can do, I'm afraid. Can't you use NAT and do port forwarding in VirtualBox in order to have access to the services you want?

http://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch06.html

Good luck!
Old 14th July 2012, 10:43 AM
Azhar Offline

windows_vistafirefox

So, if i understand you correct, i can use NAT and can access my virtual machine from host machine through port forwarding??

P.S I am configuring DNS on virtual machine and want my host machine to use the DNS services by the virtual machine.
Old 14th July 2012, 12:21 PM
smr54 Offline

linuxchrome

This is a feature to protect the virtual machine from attacks. If running NAT, the host can't access it.

However, if you add VirtualBox Guest additions, you can enable sharing between guest and host, even if guest is running NAT.

I've always had Windows guests on Linux hosts, and usually use samba, but if you click the help menu and then choose the search (or index, I forget which) and then search for shared folders, it should be pretty clear. You'll have to install Guest Additions on the Fedora guest, which will require having a few development packages.

http://www.sysprobs.com/install-fedo...irtual-machine

might be useful for that part.
Old 14th July 2012, 04:16 PM
hmmsjan Offline

windows_xp_2003firefox

Dear Azhar,

You should forward port UDP 53 and port TCP 53 from outside to inside the VM. With a Linux host,
you would have a problem in this case; because 53 is a privileged port, only the superuser is allowed to do this, but I do not know how a Windows hosts handles this.

Another option: If you have two solutions working halfway, just take both....
An ethernet card in a VM is free, you do not have to go to the shop and do not need cables, just define a second one in the virtual machine properties. One natted ethernet inteface, one bridged, and you get a natted eth0 for the internet and a bridget eth1 for your LAN exercises. Just take care that in the VM the default route and the name server point into the internet.

Good luck!
Old 14th July 2012, 07:50 PM
Azhar Offline

windows_vistafirefox

hmmsjan, you da man.

Couldn't get the first option to work, i guess i wasn't able to make Host machine understand how to get to the other network.

The second option works perfectly fine. Second NIC idea was amazing. Thanks a lot.

Tags
networking, virtualbox