Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 10th July 2012, 02:49 PM
jpollard Offline

linuxfirefox
Re: Error in Editing .bash_profile

You don't own /media, so of course you can't create directories there. /media gets created during startup (it is a tmpfs), so directories created there even by root will not survive a reboot.

You can try using /mnt, but even then you don't own the directory, but directories created there should survive a reboot.
Old 10th July 2012, 05:25 PM
pratporetw Offline

linuxfirefox

Does this mean that what i am willing to do is not possible.... ??

And am not willing to mount at /mnt because mounting there wont mount the drive at GUI (as i have seen).

And surviving at reboot is not a problem because i have kept the commands in the .bash_profile file. so it will create those directories everytime and then will mount on it.

I was wondering if someone could solve my "Permission Denied !" Problem. i even tried doing
Code:
chmod 777 /media
Old 10th July 2012, 06:22 PM
Gareth Jones Offline
Official Gnome 3 Sales Rep. (and Adminstrator)

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratporetw View Post
And am not willing to mount at /mnt because mounting there wont mount the drive at GUI (as i have seen).
The GUI doesn't care what what your mount points are, but might be sensitive to how they're mounted (e.g. automatically by udisks vs. manually – and scripted mount commands are manual for this purpose). You can always create "bookmarks" or symbolic links if the GUI doesn't show the mount-points for some reason.

Quote:
I was wondering if someone could solve my "Permission Denied !" Problem.
Normally only root can ever mount or unmount file-systems. The automatic and GUI mounting infrastructure jump through a few hoops to hide this.

The correct place to mount file-systems is in /etc/fstab. Add lines like:
Code:
/dev/sda2  /mnt/C  ntfs  defaults   0  0
/dev/sda3  /mnt/D  ntfs  defaults   0  0
to mount the file-systems on boot. You must create /mnt/{C,D} directories once manually first.

There are refinements that can be made, such as using UUIDs instead of device names, and tweaking the mount options for file ownership and permissions (see the "mount" and "fstab" manual pages), but that's the basic starting point for setting up persistent mounts.
Old 10th July 2012, 06:48 PM
sonoran Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertdaleweir View Post
At what point does the /etc/gdm/Init/Default script run when booting and going to a GUI Login Screen? I put a chunk of code there under F16 and it worked for me. Now under F17 it does not work. Has something changed in the order or even the use of this script under F17?
AdamW posted this in reference to gdm:
Quote:
'GDM' is now rather like Shell: it has two modes. If your system is capable of supporting Shell it doesn't really exactly run GDM any more, but GNOME Shell in a special login mode, which handles logging in.

If your system isn't capable of Shell, it runs GDM's fallback mode, which is basically GDM.

You can see this stuff in /usr/share/gnome-session/sessions/gdm-fallback.session and /usr/share/gnome-session/sessions/gdm-shell.session . So you have to be aware of the two modes when talking about 'gdm' and be aware they could behave differently.
http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showpo...4&postcount=13

And the situation may have changed again since then in F17...
Old 10th July 2012, 07:03 PM
pratporetw Offline

linuxfirefox

@Gareth Jones

Puting those commands worked for mounting the partitions at the startup but it removed the partitions from the GUI and now i cant access them from GUI as GUI shows partitions only mounted at /media but not of /mnt.

Anymore help
Old 10th July 2012, 07:18 PM
Gareth Jones Offline
Official Gnome 3 Sales Rep. (and Adminstrator)

linuxfirefox

I don't know a proper fix for that, but there is an easy work-around. Assuming that you're using GNOME/Nautilus, run the file manager and go to "/mnt/C" or whatever you called it. (If you press the first "/", the location buttons will change into a text-entry field.) If you press Ctrl+D, "C" should appear in the bookmarks on the left in both Nautilus and GNOME file open/save windows. I'm not sure about KDE though.
Old 10th July 2012, 07:44 PM
pratporetw Offline

linuxfirefox

This is just a temporary fix. Sorry but I would rather mount it manually using GUI then.

---------- Post added at 12:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:02 AM ----------

Please help me with one more problem. (Fedora is proving to be more complicated than i thought )

I have installed dropbox on my system. But when i try to access it, it says "you need to download proprietary daemon to use dropbox". Well this is not my problem. The problem is when i press OK it says "Your server is down or set http_proxy environment variable".

So i declared http_proxy as
Code:
http_proxy="http://<username>:<password>@proxy_server:proxy_port"
export http_proxy
in the .bash_profile.

But its still showing me the same error to set http_proxy variable.
When i do echo $http_proxy it shows me the value which means variable is available
Old 10th July 2012, 08:40 PM
robertdaleweir Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoran View Post
AdamW posted this in reference to gdm:

http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showpo...4&postcount=13

And the situation may have changed again since then in F17...
Hi sonoran
I will poke around with this info and see if I cannot figure just where I could put my "numlockx on" code so that it is there at the Login prompt. Thank you, I really appreciate it

---------- Post added at 12:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:09 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratporetw View Post
@Gareth Jones

Puting those commands worked for mounting the partitions at the startup but it removed the partitions from the GUI and now i cant access them from GUI as GUI shows partitions only mounted at /media but not of /mnt.

Anymore help
Hi pratporetw
If the mounts are stable from login to login whynot put two links on your Desktop which points to the two mounts. They will then be there, on your GUI Desktop, when you are booted up.
MoBo Gigabyte MA785GM-UD2H-AM3 MicroATX
Memory 8 Gigs OCZ DDR3-1333 PC-10666
Old 10th July 2012, 09:10 PM
pratporetw Offline

linuxfirefox

That would be better.

In fact thats great. I wonder why didn't get that.

Thanks robertdaleweir

Tags
bash_profile, error, fedora, gui