Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 25th June 2012, 08:49 PM
Ivan Gorrion Offline

linuxfirefox
F17 evince-thumbnailer 100% CPU usage

Well, whenever my computer has been running for a few hours this just randomly starts up (I've only ever seeing it working on stuff when I mount my second drive) and is using up one of my cores.
I checked google and here but didn't really find anything there was one post on an Ubuntu forum I was thinking that the set-ups might be a bit different and I'd rather be able to edit a file by hand than just download yet another thing. But figuring someone would just tell me to stop being an idiot and search google and post a link to it (I guess I've been hanging out at other forums too much lately. The Fedora community has always been a great one and I'm sorry for thinking otherwise for a moment there) that I went ahead and downloaded gconf-editor. Except the path mentioned in the post isn't anywhere on mine.

F16 I had issues with Evince that it crashed my system now on F17 it's hogging resources. Getting to me because I really like Evince..so any help anyone could provide to get rid of this evince-thumbnailer would be greatly appreciated.

tl;dr
How do I disable evince-thumbnailer ?
Old 8th July 2012, 06:19 AM
hmaarrfk Offline

linuxchrome
Re: F17 evince-thumbnailer 100% CPU usage

That is weird that it is a doing that when you mount a new drive.

You could try going in Nautilus,

Open Home
Edit
Preferences
Preview

and play with the "Show Thumbnails" / "Only for files smaller than" settings.

Also if you had other settings you were playing with b4 in gconf editor, they have probably been moved to the new way gnome3 handles settings, they should be modified with
dconf-editor

(in my opinion dconf-editor is much less usable than gconf-editor)

I think your settings are in
org.gnome.nautilus.*

Hope this helps.

(You may also try letting it do it's thing once....)
Old 8th July 2012, 09:55 AM
george_toolan Offline

linuxfirefox

Does this setting really work?

It says "Only for files smaller than: 10 MB", but it still calculates thumbnails for large video files ;-)

To disable this feature just configure "Show thumbnails: Never"
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	disable_thumbnails.png
Views:	228
Size:	32.5 KB
ID:	23381  
Old 8th July 2012, 12:06 PM
Ivan Gorrion Offline

linuxfirefox

hmaarrfk: Nope I couldn't really edit anything in gconf maybe one or two things were available in there.

You mean try letting evince-thumbnailer finish ? It'd been going at it for half of that day before I killed it. On the same file. Can't recall which one but in that folder it was in the biggest PDF is less than half a MiB (Not sure if file size matters but I can't imagine creating a thumbnail takes half a day o.o )

george_toolan: Very true just noticed it does say that and it does still do that for large vids.
Hmm..well, it is a bit annoying not to be able to see my pictures nor videos anymore but it's better than dedicating a core to evince-thumbnailer for all of time.

And I'm guessing with this option I also won't have a ~/.thumbnail dir filled with all those thumbnails either.
Ah, it still makes the files but only of those I've seen and then I still can't see the thumbnails making thumbnails seems rather pointless now...

Last edited by Ivan Gorrion; 8th July 2012 at 12:19 PM.
Old 8th July 2012, 04:41 PM
hmaarrfk Offline

linuxchrome

You know, I never noticed that it still computes thumbnails for videos, even if they are way more than 10MB.

You might have a corrupt pdf too.
Old 5th December 2012, 04:53 AM
jotego Offline

linuxfirefox

I have F17 in two computers and this problem occurs more often in one of them than in the other. After thinking about it, I think the difference might be that in one of them I plug disks more often, either USB or large SATA drives, whereas the other computer just gets a <16GB USB drive plugged in occasionaly. I wonder whether the problem has to do with changing the directory structure when (auto)mounting devices. It just happened today when I plugged in two SATA drives and formatted one of them.

By the way, this problem was present in Fedora 16 too.
Old 5th December 2012, 05:07 AM
hmaarrfk Offline

linuxchrome

I've found that tracker miner is the buggiest thing in the world.

It is great if you start your system from 0 and gradually add stuff. But when you plug in something (or extract something) it goes crazy trying to scan everything as fast as possible.

you can try disabling it
Code:
 gnome-session-properties
and find anything with tracker and remove the checkmark.

You can also try installing tracker-ui-tools

and use tracker-preferences to add things to the ignore list.

Tags
100%, cpu, evincethumbnailer, f17, usage