Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 6th July 2012, 02:52 PM
mmix Offline

linuxfirefox
Intel Winning Over NVIDIA For Linux Enthusiasts

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...tem&px=MTEzMzg

Quote:
It seems that among Linux enthusiasts, Intel is gaining market-share thanks to their increasingly powerful integrated graphics backed by a fully open-source driver while NVIDIA is losing ground.
Old 6th July 2012, 04:13 PM
droidhacker Offline

linuxfirefox
Re: Intel Winning Over NVIDIA For Linux Enthusiasts

Take anything Michael (phoronix) says with an entire truckload of salt. The "thanks to" conclusions are unrealistic, simple matter of the hardware that ships with new laptops. Not too many nvidia laptops these days, and really, why would there be since we're moving towards APUs now.

As for those units with dual graphics (which will have something like INTEL IGP + DISCRETE NVIDIA, or AMD IGP + DISCRETE AMD), the discrete chip will only get switched on by gamers, since it doesn't yield any benefits for non-gamers and eats up extra battery.

My laptop is a dual-AMD. The discrete is switched off and won't be coming back on unless/until there is some practical (i.e. OpenCL) use for it.