Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 1st July 2012, 06:40 PM
macunkie Offline

linuxfirefox
Exclamation Help starting ProFTPD or Vsftpd

As a "Linux Newbie" I'm trying to understand errors.
I gave up on the Fedora 17 default sftp and am now trying to get ProFtpd Started.
When I issued "service start proftpd" I get the following output:
Quote:
service proftpd start
Redirecting to /bin/systemctl start proftpd.service
Job failed. See system journal and 'systemctl status' for details.
So for starters,
Where do I access the "system journal" ?
The systemctl status reads:
Quote:
proftpd.service loaded failed failed ProFTPD FTP Server
Doesn't give me much help in trouble shooting and trying to figure out what or where to start to fix the problem.

Thanks for any help,

Samuel.

I moved on to attempting to use and configure vsfpd and command : service vsftpd start
Starting vsftpd (via systemctl): Job failed. See system journal and 'systemctl status' for details.

Last edited by macunkie; 1st July 2012 at 10:54 PM. Reason: Major changes
Old 2nd July 2012, 12:25 AM
RupertPupkin Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Re: Help starting ProFTPD

You need to stop using the "service start" commands. Fedora uses systemd now, and the general command to enable|disable|start|stop services is:
Code:
systemctl enable|disable|start|stop something.service
So, for example, to start the vsftpd service you'd do:
Code:
systemctl start vsftpd.service
If that fails to start vsftpd, then there could be some firewall issue causing the problem, so you'd have to check your iptables setup (or just disable iptables). Also, look in the /etc/vsftpd/vsftpd.conf for some option you may need to change. I have vsftpd running on my F17 machine with no problem.
OS: Fedora 20 x86_64 | Machine: HP Pavilion a6130n | CPU: AMD 64 X2 Dual-Core 5000+ 2.6GHz | RAM: 5GB PC5300 DDR2 | Disk: 400GB SATA | Video: ATI Radeon HD 4350 512MB | Sound: Realtek ALC888S | Ethernet: Realtek RTL8201N
Old 2nd July 2012, 02:00 AM
macunkie Offline

linuxfirefox
Post Re: Help starting ProFTPD

Quote:
Originally Posted by RupertPupkin View Post
You need to stop using the "service start" commands. Fedora uses systemd now, and the general command to enable|disable|start|stop services is:
Code:
systemctl enable|disable|start|stop something.service
So, for example, to start the vsftpd service you'd do:
Code:
systemctl start vsftpd.service
If that fails to start vsftpd, then there could be some firewall issue causing the problem, so you'd have to check your iptables setup (or just disable iptables). Also, look in the /etc/vsftpd/vsftpd.conf for some option you may need to change. I have vsftpd running on my F17 machine with no problem.
Thanks goodness I've found someone who has vsftpd working on F17. I'm a Linux newbie but I'm determined to get vsftpd up and running. I'm including my vsftpd.conf file , my iptables, and selinuxOutput in hopes of your being able to look at them and compare to your setup and see where I can make inprovement and try to solve why "systemctl start vsftpd.service" fails on my system.

Thank you very much for any help !!

Samuel.
Attached Files
File Type: txt iptables.txt (601 Bytes, 111 views)
File Type: txt selinuxOUTPUT.txt (447 Bytes, 100 views)
File Type: txt vsftpd.conf.txt (4.9 KB, 136 views)
Old 2nd July 2012, 02:51 AM
RupertPupkin Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Your iptabes and selinux setups look OK. But in your /etc/vsftpd/vsftpd.conf file I noticed you have these lines:
Code:
#listen=YES
listen_ipv6=YES
Are you using IPv6 instead of IPv4 on your machine? If not then that could be why the service won't start. To fix that, just uncomment one and comment out the other, like this:
Code:
listen=YES
#listen_ipv6=YES
That's what I have in my vsftpd.conf, since I don't use IPv6. You should also try enabling the service before starting it:
Code:
systemctl enable vsftpd.service
Also, check the contents (if any) of /etc/hosts.allow, if that file exists. I have this in mine:
Code:
ALL: 192.168.1.
That allows any machine on my LAN with an IP address in the 192.168.1.1-254 range to connect.
OS: Fedora 20 x86_64 | Machine: HP Pavilion a6130n | CPU: AMD 64 X2 Dual-Core 5000+ 2.6GHz | RAM: 5GB PC5300 DDR2 | Disk: 400GB SATA | Video: ATI Radeon HD 4350 512MB | Sound: Realtek ALC888S | Ethernet: Realtek RTL8201N
Old 2nd July 2012, 04:53 AM
jpollard Offline

linuxfirefox

It is also possible that you are using NetworkManager to control the networks... and it f*s up a lot.

Try "systemctl enable NetworkManager-wait-online.service" to cause network manager to delay systemd until the network is actually initialized.
Old 2nd July 2012, 05:50 AM
macunkie Offline

linuxfirefox
Thumbs up Re: Help starting ProFTPD

Quote:
Your iptabes and selinux setups look OK. But in your /etc/vsftpd/vsftpd.conf file I noticed you have these lines:
Code:
#listen=YES
listen_ipv6=YES
Are you using IPv6 instead of IPv4 on your machine? If not then that could be why the service won't start. To fix that, just uncomment one and comment out the other, like this:
Code:
listen=YES
#listen_ipv6=YES
That's what I have in my vsftpd.conf, since I don't use IPv6. You should also try enabling the service before starting it:
Code:
systemctl enable vsftpd.service
Also, check the contents (if any) of /etc/hosts.allow, if that file exists. I have this in mine:
Code:
ALL: 192.168.1.
That allows any machine on my LAN with an IP address in the 192.168.1.1-254 range to connect.
I used your reccomentdations and now system now works !! Vsftpd is now running in my process.

All I have to do is figure out how to add my wordpress root directory:
/usr/share/wordpress or /usr/share/wordpress/wp-content as an accessable directory for vsftpd.

When I login to update wordpress it tells me it is "uable to locate root directory".

In my oringinal setup of vsftpd I used:

CREATE PROFTPD ONLY GROUP
groupadd vsftpd
cd /home
mkdir myftp

useradd -g vsftpd -s /sbin/nologin myftp

chmod 755 myftp

GIVE THE USER A PASSWORD
passwd myftp

So how do I add the wordpress directory to access via vsfpd ?

Thanks again for all your help !

---------- Post added at 08:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:48 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpollard View Post
It is also possible that you are using NetworkManager to control the networks... and it f*s up a lot.

Try "systemctl enable NetworkManager-wait-online.service" to cause network manager to delay systemd until the network is actually initialized.
Thank you,

With your help and the above post I'm almost there !

Samuel.

Last edited by macunkie; 2nd July 2012 at 04:06 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 2nd July 2012, 08:15 AM
RupertPupkin Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Look through the /etc/vsftpd/vsftpd.conf file for your current settings. The vsftpd.conf man page explains how to set up the various access methods, like anonymous ftp, and access for local users. You'll probably want to have "local_enable=YES" to allow local users (like your myftp) to log in. And you could set the anon_root variable to /usr/share/wordpress to make that the default anonymous ftp directory. After making changes to that file you should restart the vsftpd service (systemctl restart vsftpd.service).
Old 2nd July 2012, 11:31 AM
droggg Offline

windows_7firefox

Quote:
You need to stop using the "service start" commands..
thanks a lot from nuby by all head =))
Old 2nd July 2012, 06:08 PM
macunkie Offline

linuxfirefox
Exclamation Re: Help starting ProFTPD

Quote:
Look through the /etc/vsftpd/vsftpd.conf file for your current settings. The vsftpd.conf man page explains how to set up the various access methods, like anonymous ftp, and access for local users. You'll probably want to have "local_enable=YES" to allow local users (like your myftp) to log in. And you could set the anon_root variable to /usr/share/wordpress to make that the default anonymous ftp directory. After making changes to that file you should restart the vsftpd service (systemctl restart vsftpd.service).
Well I'm getting closer.
I ended up creating a new user wordpress with new password.
Quote:
useradd -g vsftpd -s /sbin/nologin wordpress
In my vsftpd.conf I added:
Quote:
local_root=/usr/share/wordpress
anon_root=/usr/share/wordpress
Now I tested my connection with fileZilla and it works fine.
But when I tested with Wordpress it was having error of being able to create directories that enable the upgrades. The directories acually exist so I was guessing wordpress was having issueds writing to the directories. I took a look at the manpages and looked at the vsftpd.conf and modified my conf to include:
Quote:
chroot_local_user=YES
chroot_list_enable=YES
# (default follows)
chroot_list_file=/etc/vsftpd/chroot_list
I created a chroot_list and added just one entry "wordpress".

When I try to login into wordpress and attempt to upadate I still get errors. So I looked at owner and user assignments to the directories mentioned in wordpress and infact they have been altered to owner apache and user ftp where every other directory within wordpress are root root.

So step one I need to disable the
Quote:
chroot_local_user=YES
chroot_list_enable=YES
# (default follows)
chroot_list_file=/etc/vsftpd/chroot_list
Then change the owner and user for the relative directories.
What are the linux term commands to change directories back to root root owner and user ?

Thanks samuel.
Old 2nd July 2012, 07:37 PM
RupertPupkin Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Code:
chown -Rh root:root /name/of/directory
Old 3rd July 2012, 02:25 AM
macunkie Offline

linuxfirefox
Exclamation Re: Help starting ProFTPD

Quote:
Code:
chown -Rh root:root /name/of/directory
So after successfully connecting with filezilla, wordpress still won't connect. I've fond this error:
Quote:
SELinux is preventing /usr/sbin/vsftpd from getattr access on the file /usr/share/wordpress/wp-app.php.
What is SELinux ? And how do I disable it ?
Old 3rd July 2012, 12:34 PM
jpollard Offline

linuxfirefox

SELinux is a security model that compartmentalizes services, users, applications... and prevents a security vulnerability in one area from affecting other areas. Disable it at the cost of increased vulnerability...

Mixing web services (no user identity other than that supported by the web server) and ftp (UNIX level identity) doesn't work very well.

You will find things work safer when you use the controls. Otherwise what happens is that created web pages make assumptions about their environment... that don't apply, and cause additional security problems.

man "setenforce"
Old 3rd July 2012, 06:06 PM
RupertPupkin Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by macunkie View Post
And how do I disable it ?
Edit the /etc/sysconfig/selinux file so that it has this line:
Code:
SELINUX=disabled
Reboot for it to take effect, or run "setenforce 0" if you have the libselinux-utils package installed.

Tags
proftpd, starting