Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 29th June 2012, 11:33 PM
Quantum Offline

linuxkonqueror
Best Way to Set Up Interface

I want to set up a new interface with static IP, but I am from the Debian world. I'm sure I can figure out how to do it manually in Fedora, but isn't there a faster way?
Old 30th June 2012, 12:37 AM
smr54 Offline

linuxchrome
Re: Best Way to Set Up Interface

Easiest way is to

yum install system-config-network-tui

(Or it might be installed already).
Then run it

system-config-network-tui

I'm guessing you're not using the default GUI NetworkManager, because I would think that would be the same between distributions. Fedora keeps its main config file under /etc/systemconfig/network-scripts but there are some other files that are adjusted as well--therefore, it's best to use the system-config-network-tui tool. It's not as straightforward as adjusting /etc/network/interfaces in Debian.

If you are using NetworkManager, then I dont' know the answer, but I'm sure someone else does.
Old 30th June 2012, 12:38 AM
BBQdave Offline
The Ubu-Grillmaster

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum View Post
I'm sure I can figure out how to do it manually in Fedora, but isn't there a faster way?
http://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/...etworking.html

This may have what you are looking for
Old 30th June 2012, 05:42 PM
Quantum Offline

linuxkonqueror

Boy, I sure don't want to use NetworkMangler if I can avoid it. Long history of problems.

These system-config-* commands are starting to look pretty darned useful, although the docs say system-config-network is now depreciated. It points to NetworkMangler, unfortunately.
Old 30th June 2012, 09:01 PM
smr54 Offline

linuxchrome

Yes, several of them are getting deprecated in favor of GUIs. The same with auth-config. However, they are still usable.

I'm not sure if NM is from Gnome or elsewhere, and actually, for a laptop for an inexperienced user, it's probably good. I can't stand it, myself, but as I age, I dislike everything.
Old 1st July 2012, 06:03 PM
Quantum Offline

linuxkonqueror

Hey man, I'm 59 myself. Gotta work to stay flexible.

I wouldn't mind NM, if it only worked properly, but it has a long history of illness. In particular for me it simply cannot do 802.11a/n 5.12GHz. That's a problem because I don't like to bother my neighbors with my video streaming. I'm sure most people are unconscious of their effect on others though, so 5.12GHz is not a demanded feature...
Old 1st July 2012, 09:57 PM
stevea Online

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum View Post
Hey man, I'm 59 myself. Gotta work to stay flexible.

I wouldn't mind NM, if it only worked properly, but it has a long history of illness. In particular for me it simply cannot do 802.11a/n 5.12GHz. That's a problem because I don't like to bother my neighbors with my video streaming. I'm sure most people are unconscious of their effect on others though, so 5.12GHz is not a demanded feature...
I suggest you give NM a spin. Yes it was a sick-puppy early on but IF if fits your needs it works pretty well recently. It really shines for wifi supplicant management, can handle vpnc and openvpn with plugins and does so nicely. The config pages for static IP etc seem to work painlessly.

It still can't go bridges or multihomed configs afaik (the RH 'network' service can, but it's poorly documented).
Old 2nd July 2012, 05:03 PM
Quantum Offline

linuxkonqueror

I wouldn't be surprised if it has been improved, but as I say, the fact that it simply cannot do 5.12GHz wifi is a non-starter for me. Completely unusable.

I have not been able to figure out how to do multiple profiles manually, and I imagine NM would make that work, but more important is 5.12GHz so I cannot use it.

Tags
interface, set