Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 25th June 2012, 08:59 PM
Phobeus Offline

windows_7firefox
Blank video after installation

Hi Guys,

I am currently having a very strange situation on my computer. Some weeks ago, I did an upgrade from F16 to F17 using preupgrade. For some reason, I decided performing an fresh installation on that system. Thus I performed an installation formating the system drives and reusing the old home directory. Everything except boot are encrypted drives. I choosed a KDE only installation. The rest shall be quite straight forward. Media check is fine. Graphic card is GTX560 and an UEFI Bios.

The installation itself seems to run without any issues perfectly. Grub appears, the initial disk is loading. I am noticing a short flash on the screen on the top and the monitor suddenly lossing its video and the system seems to be unreactive. I thought it would be quite obvious, that I run into some video problem and wanted to go into recovery mode to check some logs. Editing the grub start line however terrible fails as it seems like I am having some kind of graphic errors. Everything looks fine, but the third line of the "linux" seems to be invisible or something. It actually doesn't show what is basicaly there... sometimes I can see the "quite" and "rgbh", sometimes it suddenly freeze during editing. First question: Is there anything to switch grub 2 back in text mode...?

I gave up on entering the system lower initlevels in the traditional way and search the recovery option from grub. However, I am encoutering the same situation as the normal system. Short moment of graphic init and monitor goes out of sync. I am currently a little bit lost, as grub2 and the new recovery mode is quite new to me and I am not sure, what he actually starts. Does he really start a graphic mode in recovery? Any ideas what this might be or how to work arround or at least bring up the system to a status, I might investigate it? As the preupgrade worked before, I am quite confident, that the system is basically working. A parallel windows installation doesn't indicate, that there are any hardware issue and everything seems basically working fine.

Any ideas? Many thanks in advance,
Florian
Old 27th June 2012, 10:29 AM
george_toolan Offline

linuxfirefox
Re: Blank video after installation

Try http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Common...nstallation.29
Old 27th June 2012, 08:26 PM
Phobeus Offline

linuxfirefox

Hi, the issue you linked, seems to be unrelated. I tried to test it, but it leads to the same result. The machine just hangs away. In contrast to the 580 GTX owner, it seems like I am having no problem with the installation process itself. Everything works there like a charm and it just occurs after the system was installed. As I am unable to debug anything on the system, I am about giving up and reverting to a fresh installation of F16. A little bit pitty as the upgraded installation from F17 seems to work nearly flawless.
Old 1st July 2012, 06:08 PM
Phobeus Offline

linuxfirefox

Hi again,

I am actually really stuck with this issue. I tried to reinstall F16, but run into exactly the same issue. This is very strange, as I was using F16 for 6 months and then just upgraded it onto F17 and running it there also without any problems. Since this event occurs on my system, it really looks like most mondern linux distribution having similiar issues on my system. I went to Gentoo and everything is running fine here. So I had serious doubt about this being a hardware issue, but not having the time to seriously debugging this issue.

I just got a call from a friend, having exactly the same issue than me. His F17 is not booting anymore and going into a out-of-sync directly after the kernel is loaded. Nothing else seems to work out... no recovery, nothing. The system is completely different... just intel based, but other generation, no ssd, etc. The only common stuff is, that we are both having a Nvidia 560 GTX. However, in 1:10 times he gets an error trace.

For me the issue is still very strange as I don't understand it completely and also not, why its not a common issue. The issue linked here for the 580 GTX shall not occur on my system with a F16. However, I am not even able to revert back to it to avoid the issue. It seems like some state is set, that is causing the issue and prevent the latest linux distributions to fail. Once a old system with plain equipment like Gentoo is running, no error can be observed. Not sure, if Fedora will work now. I am fully running out of ideas and really looking forward for any help.

I am attaching the photos from my friend he took with a cam. I am really open for any help.
http://www.phobeus.de/tmp/error1.jpg
http://www.phobeus.de/tmp/error2.jpg

Best regards,
Florian
//edit:
At least the issue at the friends computer seems to be reported at: https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=830432. As the reporter having the same chip as I, I assume that I am having a similiar issue.

Last edited by Phobeus; 4th July 2012 at 10:52 PM.

Tags
blank, installation, video