Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 23rd June 2012, 12:33 AM
liberty86 Offline

windows_xp_2003ie
Download Manager in Fedora 17

Hi All,

This is the senario , i need to download a 4GB of single file at one shot, means if any interuption occured in the middle of the download , the entire file will be removed automatically. unfortunately i'm not able to download that file since my modem is going off during the low voltage period. When voltage becomes normal , the download is marked as cancel and i'don;t have an option to resume the download.

So please let me know if i can avoid this issue if i'm using any download manager. If so, please let me know which download manager i need to install and how.

Note : I'm running fedora 17 and trying to download the file in mozilla / chrome.
Old 23rd June 2012, 02:50 AM
Doug Hutcheson Offline

linuxfirefox
Re: Download Manager in Fedora 17

I use wget from a command line and add the -c option if I am trying to complete a download started in a previous session. From "man wget":
Quote:
-c
--continue
Continue getting a partially-downloaded file. This is useful when you want to finish up a download started by a previous instance of Wget, or by another program. For instance:

wget -c ftp://sunsite.doc.ic.ac.uk/ls-lR.Z

If there is a file named ls-lR.Z in the current directory, Wget will assume that it is the first portion of the remote file, and will ask the server to continue the retrieval from an offset equal to the length of the local file.

Note that you don't need to specify this option if you just want the current invocation of Wget to retry downloading a file should the connection be lost midway through. This is the default behavior. -c only affects resumption of downloads started prior to this invocation of Wget, and whose local files are still sitting around.
Old 23rd June 2012, 05:01 AM
nonamedotc Offline
Community Manager

linuxfirefox

Look at how well this firefox addon works. I have not used this and so I do not have first hand experience. But, I have heard good reviews ... If you do not want to use CLI as suggested above, try this.
Old 23rd June 2012, 12:11 PM
liberty86 Offline

linuxfirefox

Thanks for your inputs.

i've started the download with the above mentioned "Down Them All" Addon ....... Let's see how it goes.

btwn, i have tried the download with wget utility initialy , but it was not able to resolve the my login credentials in the website (from where i need to download the file after provding authorized login credentials).
Old 24th June 2012, 12:56 AM
Doug Hutcheson Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by liberty86 View Post
i have tried the download with wget utility initialy , but it was not able to resolve the my login credentials in the website (from where i need to download the file after provding authorized login credentials).
So including the username and password in the command did not work? From the wget man page:
Code:
       --user=user
       --password=password
           Specify the username user and password password for both FTP and HTTP file retrieval.
           These parameters can be overridden using the --ftp-user and --ftp-password options for FTP
           connections and the --http-user and --http-password options for HTTP connections.
I have used this successfully in the past, but your target site may have unusual security login requirements.
Old 3rd July 2012, 05:50 PM
liberty86 Offline

linuxfirefox

It goes like this... i can go to the download link only after logging into the site by entering the authorized login credentails. After login & navigating to the download page, when i click the download option, the URL is formed as below ......

https:<site URL>?file_id=46071200&userid=2048804&country_id=35 6&patch_file=<filename>.iso

I tried to download the iso file via wget as follows.....

wget -c --http-user=<usr name> --http-password=<password> https:<site URL>?file_id=471200&userid=2804&country_id=36&file =<filename>.iso

when i executed the above command , a html file is downloaded which reads "you are trying to enter site via improper application" ....
Old 4th July 2012, 11:32 AM
kkshethin Online

linuxfirefox

In downthemall add-on for firefox, you have to change number of retry from five to unlimited.
Old 4th July 2012, 03:27 PM
liberty86 Offline

linuxfirefox

I'm getting the same html file which reads "you are trying to enter site via improper application" when the addon tries to reconnect the site after n/w or power interuption.
Old 6th July 2012, 05:32 PM
droidhacker Offline

linuxfirefox

I'm guessing cookies/phpsession, etc.

What you might need to do is establish a second device on a reliable network to do the download from the bad server, then use wget -c to bring it over to your machine.
Old 8th July 2012, 09:48 AM
pratporetw Offline

linuxchrome

Can also opt for firefox addon "DownloadHelper". It detects most of the media files on a page and also gives you an option to download videos being played from almost all sites. But it uses firefox's default downloader where you can pause and resume downloads for a particular session only. M not sure if it will work after you restart your system.
Old 8th July 2012, 11:01 AM
suyashkmr Offline

linuxchrome

Hi, there's a better command line tool than wget. It's called axel. It's a download accelerator, well similar to IDM in windows but only better because it's command line (Pardon me, I'm a command line buff ). Just do the following.

Quote:
su -c 'yum install axel'
After that:

Quote:
$ axel https:<site URL>?file_id=46071200&userid=2048804&country_id=35 6&patch_file=<filename>.iso
I'm not sure if it'll be able to counter your "you are trying to enter site via improper application" issue but it's worth a shot.

Good Luck
Registered Linux user#478776
Old 17th July 2012, 08:03 PM
droidhacker Offline

linuxfirefox

It just occurred to me.... USER AGENT STRING.
wget and axel are both able to provide a custom user agent string.

Tags
download, fedora, manager