Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 14th June 2012, 10:50 AM
bernhard Offline

linuxchrome
Install windows shared printer

Hi guys,

I've got samba installed on my F16 machine. My co-workers use windows. One of them has a printer shared which I want to install on my machine. I am able to connect to the windows machine using samba. When in Printers > add new printer > Windows Printer via Samba > Browse Fedora doesn find the printer.

The sharename for the printer contains multiple white spaces. I read somewhere that printernames in linux can not contain white spaces. Could this be the reason why fedora does not find the printer?
Old 14th June 2012, 11:11 AM
flyingfsck Offline

linuxfirefox
Re: Install windows shared printer

Printing is done by CUPS, not Samba. You can use Samba to provide the Windows printer driver code to Windows machines if you are running the print server, but in this case you are not. So, the bottom line is that you do not need Samba.

Look on Windows and write down the IP address and printer name EXACTLY with capitalization and spaces, then go to your printer wizard and enter that as ipp://ipaddress/printername. Either use quotes or backslashes to escape any spaces in the printer name.

Also make sure that Windows is actually sharing the printer, since that will open the Windows firewall.

Hope that helps!
Old 21st June 2012, 10:56 AM
bernhard Offline

linuxchrome
Re: Install windows shared printer

Hi,

I tried to get it working but the CUPS drivers for the printer are nowhere to be found. I think the printer just doesn't work on Linux(?)

Tags
install, printer, shared, windows