Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 12th June 2012, 08:29 AM
PompeyBlue Offline

linuxfirefox
Fedora 17 on new Macbook Air

Anybody tried it yet?

Apple announces new Macbooks

I'm tempted by the 512GB drive, which is very handy for us triple booters, but Fedora 17 is running a dream on my Macbook Air (2011 edition). So I don't want to upgrade to something that possibly doesn't work so well.
Old 13th June 2012, 11:12 AM
mattatron Offline

linuxchrome
Re: Fedora 17 on new Macbook Air

A bigger question I have is how it will look with the ultra high DPI displays they have.

The Ubuntu Unity team are already speaking about it here, and it looks like there might be a bit of work to do to get things working correctly.

OT: I'm a bit disappointed that there is no MacBook Air with a "Retina" display. That would be the zenith of mobile computing.
Old 15th June 2012, 02:56 PM
jonathonp Offline

linuxfirefox

According to iFixit, the Retina MacBook Pro is the 'least-repairable' notebook ever. Other reviews suggest it's a throw away.

Fedora 17 XFCE x64, Xubuntu 12.04 LTS x64, Windows 7 64bit
HP-ProBook 5830 i3 - PC AMD Core 4
MacBookPro v10.7.4 - 2.8GHz i7 4GB RAM
Old 16th June 2012, 01:49 PM
PompeyBlue Offline

linuxfirefox

I agree on dissapointment of Macbook Air without retina. I would've upgraded to it if it had it. I'll stick with what I've got until more power or retina.
Old 18th June 2012, 11:37 AM
LambarO Offline

macoschrome

I've tried F17 on the new (2012) macbook air. I've used the prescribed dd method to copy the live iso to my USB stick, but when I boot into the usual installer menu and make a boot choice, the installer just sits there frozen, and there's no activity on the USB drive.

Any ideas?
Old 18th June 2012, 06:08 PM
bcs296 Offline

windows_7chrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by LambarO View Post
I've tried F17 on the new (2012) macbook air. I've used the prescribed dd method to copy the live iso to my USB stick, but when I boot into the usual installer menu and make a boot choice, the installer just sits there frozen, and there's no activity on the USB drive.

Any ideas?
I just purchased a new 2012 Ivy Bridge MBP 13" and tried installing F17 via Live CD and full DVD with the same exact results as you.

I posted in the Installation forum about it: http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=281335

Short of hacking together an installation method, we may have to wait for an update.
Old 21st June 2012, 12:51 AM
eightbitguy Offline

linuxfirefox

I too tried on my 2012 Macbook Air 11.6" version 5.1. I'm happy to report that I have the FC17 Live CD running.

Ivy Bridge 2GHz, 8GB ram, 256GB SSD,

I had to add noapic to the boot command. I must preface this by saying I had installed UBUNTU 12.04 according to the instructions on the ubuntu macbook air 4-2 web page so I have "refit" running on the Mac. I first see the reFit screen and choose appropriate EPI boot. Then when grub(?) pops up, I hit escape to pause and 'e' to edit the line. I deleted the "rhgb and quiet" so I can see what's happening and replaced it with noapic. That gets the live image running.....
Old 21st June 2012, 05:05 AM
gargrag Offline

macoschrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by eightbitguy View Post
I too tried on my 2012 Macbook Air 11.6" version 5.1. I'm happy to report that I have the FC17 Live CD running.

Ivy Bridge 2GHz, 8GB ram, 256GB SSD,

I had to add noapic to the boot command. I must preface this by saying I had installed UBUNTU 12.04 according to the instructions on the ubuntu macbook air 4-2 web page so I have "refit" running on the Mac. I first see the reFit screen and choose appropriate EPI boot. Then when grub(?) pops up, I hit escape to pause and 'e' to edit the line. I deleted the "rhgb and quiet" so I can see what's happening and replaced it with noapic. That gets the live image running.....
hi eightbitguy, i've successfully installed ubuntu12.04 on my 2009 macbook pro, following the instalations for the air.

but i can't with fedora, how did you prepare the usb stick?
thanks a lot .
gargrag
Old 21st June 2012, 07:10 AM
eightbitguy Offline

macossafari

I simply downloaded the amd64 image and did a
dd if=Fedora-17-x86_64-Live-Desktop.iso of=/dev/sdb

where sdb is the appropriate drive. Note that I did not use the partition number. The USB stick I used was only 1GB if that matters....

I did play around a little more and refit does seem to be an important ingredient in getting the stick to boot. By just holding down the Option key, did not boot. Not sure what gets initialized in refit....

I did try to install FC17, but had to stop when it kept telling me that I did not specify a stage 1 boot partition. Don't know modern Fedora well enough to now what that means....

---------- Post added at 11:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:58 PM ----------

My wife has the 2011 version with the Sandy Bridge i5 and it needed nomodeset but did NOT need noapic to get Ubuntu to boot. Didn't try FC17 on hers...... yet ;-)

Not sure about the 2009 version. The mid 2011 and the mid 2012 both had integrated HD 3000 and 4000 graphics chips respectively.....
Old 21st June 2012, 12:22 PM
LambarO Offline

macoschrome

I tried noapic in the boot, which got me further than not having it. Results are pretty random though, but always end in failure. Once I had the inverted/angled teardrop shaped fedora progress bar freeze, another time a message that the CPU stalled, and then another about /dev/sdb having problems.

Seems like the hardware is just a bit too new at this stage.
Old 21st June 2012, 04:57 PM
eightbitguy Offline

linuxchrome

When you add noapic, try removing rhgb and you should see the error messages. I get a number of "applesmc: read arg failed" errors but that seems to not kill the system. I think the trick is "refit." I cannot boot by using the option key but it boots reliably if I go through the refit boot choices. My guess is "refit" initialized something in the usb driver but I'm only guessing.
Old 23rd June 2012, 12:39 PM
mattatron Offline

linuxchrome

I just saw this bug opened a few days ago on Bugzilla referring back to this thread.

Keep an eye on it, hopefully it will get fixed soon.
Old 28th June 2012, 11:14 PM
PompeyBlue Offline

macossafari

So does installing fc17 work with all hardware on the new air?
Old 29th June 2012, 05:28 AM
jonathonp Offline

linuxfirefox

I am in the process of installing fedora on last years mac book pro i7 13 inch.

Fedora 17 XFCE x64, Xubuntu 12.04 LTS x64, Windows 7 64bit
HP-ProBook 5830 i3 - PC AMD Core 4
MacBookPro v10.7.4 - 2.8GHz i7 4GB RAM
Old 2nd July 2012, 05:04 PM
PompeyBlue Offline

windows_7ie

Well, unfortunatelym I left my Macbook Air and iPad 3 on a plane whilst jet lagged. Attempts to call lost property, a week later, have not traced the missing Mac.

It looks like I'm going to find out, much sooner than I had hoped, as to whether installing FC17 on the new Macbook Air works or not.

Tags
air, fedora, macbook