Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 16th June 2012, 04:08 PM
timvdwest Offline

linuxchrome
F16 -> F17 Upgrade. Preupgrade runs fine, but doesn't upgrade.

I am now running preupgrade a 3rd time to see if I'm lucky.

Problem is that preupgrade runs fine, it downloads all the files necessary and reaches the end and tells me to reboot. I click reboot, the machine restarts fine but boots straight back in to F16. Nothing else happens happens once Fedora starts up.

Any ideas?

---------- Post added at 05:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:04 PM ----------

OK, have found wiki notes on this issue, but now after entering the following in to grub:

Quote:
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/upgrade/vmlinuz
initrd /boot/upgrade/initrd.img
boot
It starts up and then gives me:

Quote:
dracut Warning: no suitable images
dracut Warning: Unable to process initqueue
dracut Warning: /dev/root does not exist
Cannot continue from here. I found a bug report here: https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=810136, but according to this it should be fixed.

Think I'm just going to do a clean install :/
Old 16th June 2012, 07:43 PM
DrewP Offline

linuxfirefox
Re: F16 -> F17 Upgrade. Preupgrade runs fine, but doesn't upgrade.

I suspect this won't help for your problem but I had identical experience over the last 24 hours. I ran preupgrade on a computer remotely, re-booted and it booted into F16

Only when I stood in front of the computer and watched it booting did I see one of the grub options was to set up Fedora 17. The default option was to boot into F16.

Be warned, it took several hours (on a 400 MHz P2) from selecting setup Fedora 17 to having a workable system.

It looks like the intel video drivers on Gnome fallback mode don't work very well either. Sadly the iso of the F17 live CD was on the disk that died and prompted me to install F16 from live CD and upgrade straightaway. I'm running preupgrade on another computer with intel hardware but I think I will delay until I have tested with a live cd before activating the upgrade.
Old 16th June 2012, 10:53 PM
timvdwest Offline

linuxchrome

Did a fresh install. A pain though because for some reason Plex doesn't store library info in the home folder, which I backed up specifically for this. Now have to rescan my whole media library over :/

Besides that, I find boot speed a lot better and general experience seems to be much more responsive.

One thing that did bother me in the past was that Nautilus would take a long time to start up on my f16 install. Nautilus after installing f17 was super zippy but as soon as I installed Dropbox it slowed down again, so I think I found the culprit - now what to do about it...
Old 18th June 2012, 04:14 AM
mwette Offline

linuxfirefox

I had problems but was fixed by:

$ yum clean all
$ yum update

Tags
>, f16, f17, fine, preupgrade, runs, upgrade