Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 17th June 2012, 08:00 AM
bill.damage Offline

windows_7chrome
Recover laptop grub boot

I used to have a great multi-boot system yet now on boot all I see is error: no such device: 383d0317-ed15-43f2-a5fe-96cd5b4d67b4. Grub rescue> The system had just been upgraded to Fed 17 via DVD, and the grub menu listed the current one plus the older kernels, and a Windows option (choosing that offered the Win7/XP windows boot menu, both of which were fine). What happened was I had the need to install Ubuntu TO a memory stick such that it would boot from it. I downloaded the full Ubuntu 10.0 DVD, booted it to live, and went through its install option, and chose the memory stick as a target. Nothing else - I definitely didn't tell it to touch the laptop. But it did :-(

When I boot from the fed DVD into rescue I see
dracut Warning: Unable to process initqueue
dracut Warning: /dev/disk/by-label/Fedorax2017x20x86_64 does not exist
dracut Warning: /dev/mapper/live-rw does not exist

Dropping to debug shell.
dracut:/#

Googling shows I've been hit with this? https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=824617

However I found I can get to the windows sytem if I boot from the Super Grub disk http://www.supergrubdisk.org/ and choose "Detect any operating system" - an entry for "Windows Vista" (ugh) apppears in its grub menu, which works. The first entry though is F17 - vmlinuz-3.4.0-1.fc17.x86_64. Choosing that gives what appears to be a boot until "Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(0,0)"

And thats where I'm plub out of ideas. There were 6 partitions on its single drive, I'm sure all the OS's are ok. I just can't fathom out for the life of my why that damn Ubuntu install borked the boot system so badly, nor where to go from here.

Thanks in advance!

Tags
boot, grub, laptop, recover