Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 12th June 2012, 11:58 AM
Yora0 Offline

linuxfirefox
KDE 4.8.3 Window Behavior and LibreOffice

I really like the feature of KDE to apply specific sizes and positions to windows and have the settings remembered when I restart the computer.

Works well, except for Libre-Office: No matter if I chose Remember, Force Initially, Force, or any other option, I always get the window to appear in the lower right corner at full specified width and half height.
Strangely, it appears that for half a second or so, the window pops up on the left side of the screen, reaching from the top of the screen to the bottom, as I have specified. And then it jumps into the lower right corner, being reduced to half-height in the process.
And I don't have any clue why. Anyone able to help me?

Also of lesser urgency: Can I have new windows appear not docked to the screen edges, but at least 30 pixels from the edge, for example? However, I still do like docking when manually pulling windows to full screen height.
Old 12th June 2012, 02:18 PM
Quantum Offline

linuxkonqueror
Re: KDE 4.8.3 Window Behavior and LibreOffice

After many years of using K, I recently discovered that Gnome can't do this. In fact you need to make a 'secret' setting in Gnome to make it save sessions at all, and then many apps do not cooperate. This sux.

I've always depended on K to open my 30 or so Konqeror windows and tabs so I can continue work. I don't know how Gnome guys get by without it.

LibreOffice, when I shut down with it open, never brings my docs back up automatically. I only get the intro screen. When I do open a doc then, it often has to go through the recovery process as, apparently it is GTK and does not understand the K shutdown process.
Old 14th June 2012, 11:35 AM
Yora0 Offline

linuxfirefox

Repeating the question: What can I do to prevent LibreOffice from resizing and repositioning the window half a second after the "Special Window Settings" have sized and positioned the window as I have manually specified?

---------- Post added at 12:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:25 PM ----------

New detail:

It happens only when I directly open a file from a folder. When I simply open LibreOffice Writer as an application from the start menu, it remembers window settings just fine.
Old 14th June 2012, 12:03 PM
ah7013 Offline
Registered "Cashew" User

linuxfirefox

Make sure in that window rule that the Window class is set to Substring Match and the text box for the window class just says 'libreoffice'. I have attached a screenshot of my window rule Window Matching settings that appears to work ok, both when opening libreoffice from the menu and from loading a document. I had the same problem but changeing the settings to these appears to have fixed it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	snapshot38.png
Views:	191
Size:	85.9 KB
ID:	23268  
Old 14th June 2012, 12:10 PM
Yora0 Offline

linuxfirefox

Perfect! ^^

Exactly what I meant and the solution I needed.

I was even suspecting that the window changes it's "ID" after the first second and the rules I specify are not regarded as being related to the new window I open.
Which kind of is the source of the problem, if I understand this substring-bit correctly, yes?
Old 14th June 2012, 12:15 PM
ah7013 Offline
Registered "Cashew" User

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yora0 View Post
I was even suspecting that the window changes it's "ID" after the first second and the rules I specify are not regarded as being related to the new window I open.
Which kind of is the source of the problem, if I understand this substring-bit correctly, yes?
Yes that's what I thought. So just setting it to substring must still match it even after it changes its window ID.
Old 14th June 2012, 12:32 PM
Yora0 Offline

linuxfirefox

What little I know about code is enough to understand that. ^^

Though I've read that particularly Ubuntu Users are filing bug reports for apparently the same behavior. Good thing KDE can overwrite these things.

(Actually, setting window size and position rules is probably by far my favorite KDE feature. I am terribly pedantic about such things and being able to specify by pixel coordinate is just terrific.)
Old 14th June 2012, 12:53 PM
ah7013 Offline
Registered "Cashew" User

linuxfirefox

Yeah it's a great feature and one of the many reasons I love KDE so much.
Old 21st June 2012, 07:47 PM
Yora0 Offline

linuxfirefox

Damn it! I can't recreate it!

I do the very same things as before, having my setting exactly matching, but this time it doesn't work. The open window does not realize that any parameters I set are applying to it.

Tags
behavior, kde, libreoffice, window