Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 8th June 2012, 03:02 PM
fedoreo Offline

windows_7ie
How to set screen resolution

F16 would get the screen resolution wrong most times on boot-up however it would get it right after reboot somehow. I was hoping F17 would fix but I still have the same problem. How do I hard-code a 1600x900 resolution on boot-up?
Old 12th June 2012, 02:35 PM
fedoreo Offline

windows_7ie
Re: How to set screen resolution

Ok, no response. How about information on how to set the resolution via the GUI. I have not found that in settings.
Old 12th June 2012, 03:01 PM
Geek McBean Offline

linuxubuntufirefox

I googled fedora 17 set screen resolution and found: http://ask.fedoraproject.org/questio...ors-resolution - worth a try.
Old 12th June 2012, 03:03 PM
stevea Online

linuxfirefox

create an xorg.conf file specifying resolution. Most displays correctly negotiate their resolution & depth via EDID..
Old 12th June 2012, 03:13 PM
fedoreo Offline

windows_7ie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek McBean View Post
I googled fedora 17 set screen resolution and found: http://ask.fedoraproject.org/questio...ors-resolution - worth a try.
Thanks. I found that resolution earlier as well. But I don't have the xorg.conf.d directory so I didn't try it. Am I supposed to create the file AND the directory?

---------- Post added at 09:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:11 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevea View Post
create an xorg.conf file specifying resolution. Most displays correctly negotiate their resolution & depth via EDID..
Ok. Where does it go and what is supposed to be in it? I don't even know how to determine what my current resolution is. I tried xrandr -q from a Konsole and got "can't open display".
Old 12th June 2012, 03:26 PM
Geek McBean Offline

linuxubuntufirefox

I think you may have to create the directory. Looking in the Fedora Wiki it seems that generic/standard settings appear in /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d so it's possible that /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d doesn't exist unless the user creates some custom settings.

Unfortunately I'm sitting at a Kubuntu machine right now and my Fedora 17 box is on my desk at work so I can't check
Old 12th June 2012, 04:36 PM
fedoreo Offline

windows_7ie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek McBean View Post
I think you may have to create the directory. Looking in the Fedora Wiki it seems that generic/standard settings appear in /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d so it's possible that /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d doesn't exist unless the user creates some custom settings.

Unfortunately I'm sitting at a Kubuntu machine right now and my Fedora 17 box is on my desk at work so I can't check
Ok thanks. My monitor is in the correct resolution at this moment. How do I tell what that is so I can make the appropriate entry in xorg.conf?
Old 12th June 2012, 04:55 PM
Geek McBean Offline

linuxubuntufirefox

C'mon, you have to do some of the work for yourself! If you run the Display Preferences GUI tool it will tell you what the current screen resolution is.
Old 13th June 2012, 04:56 AM
nsnbm Offline

linuxsafari

Fedoreo, you could run
Code:
xwininfo
in an X terminal such as xterm and it will give you width and height information in that terminal after you have clicked the mouse on the window you want the information from.
Old 13th June 2012, 05:53 AM
fedoreo Offline

windows_7ie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsnbm View Post
Fedoreo, you could run
Code:
xwininfo
in an X terminal such as xterm and it will give you width and height information in that terminal after you have clicked the mouse on the window you want the information from.
Thanks that worked.
Old 13th June 2012, 06:31 AM
stevea Online

linuxfirefox

Yes you should create the /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d yourself.
system-setup-keyboard package has an example file to setup KB.

You can ....
sudo mkdir /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d
sudo X -configure :1
sudo cp /root/xorg.conf.new /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/00-myfile.conf

or otherwise run commands as root.

This creates a baseline file in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/00-myfile.conf which you will need to edit.

Next do this on YOUR system to calculate a mode and timing for that resolution (assumes 60hz).
Code:
[root@crucibulum X11]# cvt -v 1600 900 60 
# 1600x900 59.95 Hz (CVT 1.44M9) hsync: 55.99 kHz; pclk: 118.25 MHz
Modeline "1600x900_60.00"  118.25  1600 1696 1856 2112  900 903 908 934 -hsync +vsync

You need to insert that exact Modeline test into the Monitor0 section of your 00-myfile.conf

It's been years since I played w/ this but you may need to add one more line like
Mode "1600x900_60.00"
to actually select that mode.

Maybe

Code:
Section "Monitor"
        Identifier   "Monitor0"
        VendorName   "Monitor Vendor"
        ModelName    "Monitor Model"
        Modeline "1600x900_60.00"  118.25  1600 1696 1856 2112  900 903 908 934 -hsync +vsync
        Mode "1600x900_60.00"
EndSection

Hopefully someone who's been through this recently can add a few details.

---------- Post added at 01:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:25 AM ----------

Sorry for the complexity - this used to be a lot simpler before EDID and autoconfiguration. But now you are out on a thin branch with a display that's not ID'ing a good default resolution.

Last edited by stevea; 13th June 2012 at 06:29 AM.
Old 13th June 2012, 03:24 PM
fedoreo Offline

windows_7ie

I am unclear about the keyboard reference.

The rest worked. Thanks!
Old 15th June 2012, 12:14 AM
fedoreo Offline

windows_7ie

I spoke too soon. Now my system locks up on boot ... all I see is the F in the center of the screen. I rebooted into recovery mode and removed the 00-myfile.conf and now am able to boot.
I guess there is something in that file it does not like.

Last edited by fedoreo; 15th June 2012 at 12:17 AM.
Old 15th June 2012, 12:51 AM
secipolla Offline

linuxfirefox

First check online your monitor's manual. Then generate the modeline as stevea suggested (with the cvt command) with a supported resolution/refresh rate (you might want to use cvt -vr , check man cvt).

Then either add the resulting modeline in the Monitor section, as stevea suggested (but without that 'Mode' line) or add a line in your Screen section with
Option "metamodes" "1600x900_60 +0+0"
(that's just an example, use your monitor's specs).
Old 19th June 2012, 04:45 AM
synic Offline

linuxchrome

Hi.

Can I please ask that anyone with working Nvidia drivers on Fedora 17 / 64 to please post their complete xorg.conf or nvidia-xorg.conf.

I'm having some trouble with nvidia. I know it works, other people have got it working; but I'm stumped and have had to roll back to nouvoue again.

Thanks.

Peter.

Tags
resolution, screen, set